Ilaine

Christmas Meal - What Are You Doing?

We don't make a big deal about sweets anymore, for health reasons, concentrate more on meat and vegetables. In addition to the traditional roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roasted root vegetables, mashed potatoes, g,reen beans and salad, I think we'll smoke a goose.

My husband's family had a tradition of a roast goose but every time we tried it, it was like a fat bomb went off in the oven.

But googling about, it seems like smoking a goose would drain the fat slowly.

Hmmm. Maybe also smoke a duck?

How about you? What are you up to?

Trying to ignore how my MIL thaws a beef tenderloin, providing my own wine, and drinking a lot of bad bourbon.

We will make Christmas Cookies on Saturday.

Not sure what Christmas Eve dinner will be--in past years it has been nibbles of pate and cheese.

Christmas Day I will make beef shanks.

Throughout the weekend we will be watching our traditional Christmas movie marathon of Grinch (the animated version), Charlie Brown, Love Actually, Miracle on 34th Street (original), and It's a Wonderful Life. Lots of cookies and hot chocolate will be consumed.

Our last low-key holiday!

Christmas Eve: Waitman's recipe for southwestern gravlax, our inauthentic Bouillabaise, cheese plate, Christmas cookies. :P

Christmas Day: I have no idea. Maybe crown roast of pork. Probably should order the meat or something.

This holiday is soon, right? I guess firming up the guest lwould be a significant priority.

I'm thinking we might start with that truffle pizza thing that Ziebold does for a first course -- because the kids can just have plain pizza -- assuming any of the little nuggets are to be had. Maybe some beef. They handed out a recipe for Fabio's chestnut soup at the Dupont Market the other day -- a soup is always elegant and gives you something to snack on while the meat rests.

Multiple desserts.

I'm open to suggestion... (Mrs. B )

christmas day: having a filipino shanghai lumpia rolling party at the +1's parents' house. they have no idea how to do it, so we're going to show them! hooray for lumpia! :P

Last year on Christmas Eve I did a "Bistro" meal - Frisee au Lardons, Beef Bourgogne, Potato Gratin and the Lemon Tart from the French Laundry cookbook.

It went over well enough that I think I am declaring it an "Official Russell Family Tradition".

...and drinking a lot of bad bourbon.

Dude! Those wacky public servants of our beloved Montgomery County have put the single-barrel Wild Turkey "Kentucky Spirit" (one of Rocks' mid-priced picks in his recent whiskey column) on sale this month for an insane $30.99. For comparison, this is about two-thirds of BevMo's "club" price in Calif, and just over half of MSRP.

Or, pick up a Rittenhouse bottled-in-bond Rye for $13. Life's too short to drink bad whiskey.

ObTopicContent: Gubeen and I will be chowing mainly on traditional English fare at her sister's place outside of Hotlanta, with detours for Lexington bbq, Peter Chang's new place, and maybe a piece of 'roo at Saskatoon.

item74_3.jpg

A group effort with a French flair: oysters, foie gras, bûche de Noël, and the rest tbd. And champagne. :P

Remarkably Balducci's is selling dry aged standing prime rib roast for $16.99 a pound. Wegmans is $19.99 a pound. Wegmans only has this for Christmas each year while Balducci's is special order at other times. I firmly believe that done properly one can make this at home as well or BETTER than any prime rib I have had in any restaurant anywhere. I should also note for the price it will probably be the most expensive cut of beef you will ever buy! A four rib roast from the larger end is about 10 or 11 pounds. Costco is about half or less of the Balducci's cost-and is good-but the difference is still amazing.

This holiday is soon, right? I guess firming up the guest lwould be a significant priority.
A head count is always nice. A big part of all of our holidays is trying to figure out which family members might be present for any given meal.

Bilrus's menu sounds great. I would do a turnip/potato gratin. I like the bitter along with the richness.

X-Mas Eve working

X-Mas sleeping, drinking, sleeping, drinking, sleeping

Maybe a leg o lamb in there somewhere or possibly a trip to Wheaton for Asian food.

Last year on Christmas Eve I did a "Bistro" meal - Frisee au Lardons, Beef Bourgogne, Potato Gratin and the Lemon Tart from the French Laundry cookbook.

It went over well enough that I think I am declaring it an "Official Russell Family Tradition".

A head count is always nice. A big part of all of our holidays is trying to figure out which family members might be present for any given meal.

Bilrus's menu sounds great.

That lemon tart is showing up everywhere -- I think we'll be slinging out our version of it over the next few days, as well.

I was thinking about digging into Bouchon, as well, but for the quiche or the pumpkin soup. I don't have TK in front of me, but Circle Bistro hits the frisee and lardons with some swell mushrooms and a poached egg. Well worth considering.

A cheese souffle makes a pretty good Christmas Eve dinner, too.

For Christmas dinner, I'll be using Jamie Stachowski's method for preparing goose, but using a turkey instead. That'll involve inserting apples and pears into the meat with a larding needle, then injecting it full of amaretto and grand marnier.

Sides will be mashed sweet potatoes with cumin and maple, potatoes roasted in duck fat with rosemary and garlic, cranberry chutney, giblet gravy, cherry and port sauce, green beans with pancetta. and bacon buns.

Predinner appetizers will be smoked kielbassa from Restaurant Kolumbia and grilled homemade pizzas.

Dessert will be sour cherry pie and homemade ice cream.

Boxing Day will consist of alka seltzer, motrin, gatorade, and dry toast.

I'll be trying to cook dinner for a family with one vegetarian member and one on a very low fat diet. Any suggestions? Nothing comes to mind that is both vegetarian, low fat (no cheese) and actually tastes good.

Dude! Those wacky public servants of our beloved Montgomery County have put the single-barrel Wild Turkey "Kentucky Spirit" (one of Rocks' mid-priced picks in his recent whiskey column) on sale this month for an insane $30.99. For comparison, this is about two-thirds of BevMo's "club" price in Calif, and just over half of MSRP.

Or, pick up a Rittenhouse bottled-in-bond Rye for $13. Life's too short to drink bad whiskey.

Unfortunately, my FIL will have already stocked the bar by the time I get to the house. It would be in somewhat poor (pour?) taste to sidestep his selection and start pouring my own. What I have to do is to help him and his cronies drain the first bottle and then make sure that I'm the person who goes on the next liquor run. I also have to make sure to trash the receipt as he disapproves of even the rather parsimonious amount of money I spend on a single bottle.

I'll be trying to cook dinner for a family with one vegetarian member and one on a very low fat diet. Any suggestions? Nothing comes to mind that is both vegetarian, low fat (no cheese) and actually tastes good.
This might not seem very Christmas-y, but there's a recipe I've made from one of the Canyon Ranch cookbooks that is vegetarian, with only 13 g. fat per serving. It's called "Mu Shu Vegetables and Twice-Cooked Tofu with Wild Rice Crepes." If you want the recipe, PM and I'll send it to you. Unfortunately, I don't recall how much we liked the dish as a whole, since I was so impressed with the wild rice crepes that that aspect is what I remember from the recipe.

I think in your situation, I might be tempted to go with a family supper kind of meal where any cheese could be added at the table (e.g., some kind of vegetarian vegetable soup, green salad, bread, and spaghetti with tomato sauce). You could serve a broiled fish that's not too fatty instead of the pasta if the vegetarian eats fish.

I had been thinking about shepherd's pie as a main because a) I love it, and it's an enjoyable holiday project; and b ) it's what I made for Christmas dinner the first year we lived in this house. Now I'm torn because my parents sent us a giant box of meat for Christmas, including a pair of filets mignons that I may make instead. Regardless of what we end up eating, we will definitely be drinking Rusty Nails at some point.

We don't make a big deal about sweets anymore, for health reasons...

...So you're just going to have the roast beef, goose, duck, mashed potatoes, and Yorkshire pudding?

That's my kind of healthy eating! :P

We're doing mom's traditional--standing rib roast, popovers, wild rice, brussels sprouts... Yum. Second favorite meal of the year (after Thanksgiving).

Gubeen and I will be chowing mainly on traditional English fare at her sister's place outside of Hotlanta, with detours for Lexington bbq, Peter Chang's new place, and maybe a piece of 'roo at Saskatoon.

The menu will be:

Starters;

cheese of the stinkiest varieties

pork pies, sausage rolls care of Meyers of Kewick

salmon mousse

Main

Roast beef (rare) and gravy

Horseradish sauce

Steamed asparagus (hollandaise sauce)

Yorkshire pudding

Brussel sprouts

Roast potatoes

Creamed Onions with Basil

Dessert

Tart Apple pie with hot custard sauce

Steam Brysons Christmas Pudding

Libations a plenty...

I can't wait. This is truely one of my favorite holiday meals.

On Christmas Eve I will be at my parent’s house and will be enjoying a country ham with a side of my mother's glorious scalloped potatoes. We will be enjoying a quality (sorry JoeH) rose Champagne.

For Christmas dinner I will have to cook. So we will be having a rabbit ragu with tagliatelle , I think that I might also bake a studmuffin.

...So you're just going to have the roast beef, goose, duck, mashed potatoes, and Yorkshire pudding?

That's my kind of healthy eating! :P

Health issues are one of those mine-fields during holiday season, like vegetarianism, picky eating, and being too cheap to buy good bourbon. :D

I try to remember to load my plate with veggies. Adding asparagus to the list. My Chinese stepmother gently simmers very fat asparagus in salted water in a largish saute pan until tenderish (one layer), and I find that I actually prefer them to pencil thin asparagus. Shave the lower ends first. Hollandaise is nice but not essential.

I had been thinking about shepherd's pie

Ive been lsitening to Sweeney Todd in Concert on DVD and all I can think of is "Shepherd's pie peppered with actual shepherd on top...." from "Have a little priest"!

Christmas Eve, we are going to a cousin's house for dinner. I have been asked to bring dessert so I am thinking of a red velvet cake and an apple pie.

Christmas morning, I am making brunch. The family always wants sausage breakfast casserole, monkey bread. A fruit salad and maybe some cheese grits.

Dinner is at my sister-in-law's.

Christmas Eve in S(m)alisbury MD will be a uncoordinated conglomeration of various appetizers and snacks provided by each family member. I offered to put together a cheese plate with cheeses from Cheesetique or Cowgirl, but was told that aunt so-and-so was bringing a Hickory Farms cheese basket. WooHoo! :P

I'm looking at making some sort of savory tart instead.

Normally I'd be involved with, if not in charge of, Christmas dinner. But I believe I've had my powers stripped due to my tendency to get dinner on the table at 9 or 10pm, and for making meals which are too elaborate for most of my audience. I have no idea what the members of this rebel group are making. I just hope it ain't turkey.