DonRocks

Redeeming Credit Card Points: Why Should I Travel instead of Taking Cash?

Does the Chase Sapphire Reserve consider gas purchase as travel (so eligible for 3 points per dollar in rewards)? I just noticed a couple of "Shell Oil" purchases that I only got 1 point per dollar for. How would I challenge that if I am in fact supposed to get 3 points per dollar for those?

1 minute ago, dracisk said:

Does the Chase Sapphire Reserve consider gas purchase as travel (so eligible for 3 points per dollar in rewards)? I just noticed a couple of "Shell Oil" purchases that I only got 1 point per dollar for. How would I challenge that if I am in fact supposed to get 3 points per dollar for those?

No, gas purchases aren't considered as travel - I suspect that's specifically stated in the agreement. (I got my entire $300 for the year refunded on Jan 2. 😯)

• Thanks 1

Chase is now making it possible to redeem Ultimate Rewards points for certain dining experiences (i.e., "private" dinners at places like The French Laundry, Per Se, and Alinea).  The only one currently available around here is Reverie on June 6, for 20K UR points.

Given that these are fixed-value redemptions (1 cent per point) and not auctions for some unique or otherwise unattainable experience, I can't see them as worthwhile for anyone without a UR point balance in the millions. 

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Chase is now making it possible to redeem Ultimate Rewards points for certain dining experiences (i.e., "private" dinners at places like The French Laundry, Per Se, and Alinea).  The only one currently available around here is Reverie on June 6, for 20K UR points.

Given that these are fixed-value redemptions (1 cent per point) and not auctions for some unique or otherwise unattainable experience, I can't see them as worthwhile for anyone without a UR point balance in the millions. 

If, however, Reverie's private dinner would normally be $300, then it's worth 20K points. (I have no idea what the "regular" price of a private dinner at Reverie is.)

Given that you can get 1 cent per point in cash, there's no reason *ever* to take any merchandise that isn't above a 1:1 ratio (I've never understood the psychology of people who do this, but there are apparently many.) I suppose if the only way possible into these events is though the Chase Ultimate Rewards program, then the exclusivity may be another carrot (although that doesn't hold much weight with me - there are always other events to attend).

"How To Enjoy Exclusive Culinary Events with Chase Sapphire Private Dining" by Jason Steele on thepointsguy.com

3 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

(I have no idea what the "regular" price of a private dinner at Reverie is.)

On the Chase Sapphire Private Dining Series web page, it's listed at $200, both the regular private dinner on June 6 and the one at the Chef's Counter.  The latter one is sold out already.

The French Laundry and Alinea dinners are listed at $650 or 65K UR points, and the Grant Achatz Kitchen Table experiences are both over $1K/100K UR points but still 1 cpp redemptions.

1 minute ago, silentbob said:

On the Chase Sapphire Private Dining Series web page, it's listed at $200, both the regular private dinner on June 6 and the one at the Chef's Counter.  The latter one is sold out already.

The French Laundry and Alinea dinners are listed at $650 or 65K UR points, and the Grant Achatz Kitchen Table experiences are both over $1K/100K UR points but still 1 cpp redemptions.

That's the value Chase is assigning the dinners; I'm talking about, what if you called Reverie, and said, "How much for a private dinner?"

To all who got the Chase Sapphire Reserve: I had the first-ever fraudulent charge attempt on my card yesterday: *Nine Cents* from PAYJP, which is apparently a Japan-based hacking thing.

(Wouldn't it make more sense to attempt a charge like $3.95?)

10 hours ago, DonRocks said:

This story spooked me:

"Credit Card Benefits for Travelers Are Vanishing. Here's What To Do about It." by Christopher Elliott on washingtonpost.com

So I checked the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and found this:

"Significant Changes Confirmed for Chase's Sapphire Reserve Card" on thepointsguy.com

It sucks, but there's not much we can do as travelers except reward the programs that continue to provide benefits.  There aren't many, though, and those tend not to be ideal for DC based travelers.  For example, AA was the last US airline to go to dynamic pricing for redemption fares (they still haven't officially done, this, but just try to get a ticket and see how many miles it takes).  With the new, absurd pricing basically the only remaining benefits are related to status - but for business travelers those are huge.  My only advice would be to not hold onto points - simply use them as you can since they're devalued constantly.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2020 at 4:55 AM, zgast said:

It sucks, but there's not much we can do as travelers except reward the programs that continue to provide benefits.  There aren't many, though, and those tend not to be ideal for DC based travelers.  For example, AA was the last US airline to go to dynamic pricing for redemption fares (they still haven't officially done, this, but just try to get a ticket and see how many miles it takes).  With the new, absurd pricing basically the only remaining benefits are related to status - but for business travelers those are huge.  My only advice would be to not hold onto points - simply use them as you can since they're devalued constantly.  

For whatever it's worth, for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, the "Lyft Pink" benefit applies to only one cardholder; the "DashPass" benefit applies to all cardholders on the same account.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 4:55 AM, zgast said:

My only advice would be to not hold onto points - simply use them as you can since they're devalued constantly.  

This x 100. Credit Card benefits have been diminishing forever - this isn't news. Airlines have changed their programs radically and hotels are not too far behind (Bonvoy now has a spend requirement for it's top tier). I'd concentrate on defining an event no more than 12 months out and saving points for that event, then starting over.

On 4/1/2020 at 10:39 PM, eatruneat said:

I never thought the DoorDash credit from our Chase Sapphire Reserve card would come in handy, but here we are.

You just have to add the Chase card to your account and the first $60 is free?

9 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

You just have to add the Chase card to your account and the first $60 is free?

Yes. I think you also have to activate your DashPass membership which gives you reduced service fees and free delivery, but I'm not positive about this. Like your travel credit, you Door Dash credit gets reimbursed. Also, it's $60 for 2020 and $60 for 2021.