DonRocks

Hen Quarter, Southern Cooking from the Owners of Austin Grill - Down to (for Now) One Location in Alexandria

20 hours ago, fuzzy510 said:

$25 for a plate of chicken and waffles?!?!?!

Curious if that's for a whole or half chicken. Totally puts in perspective the $56 whole chicken at Kinship if you get half a chicken fried at a place that is not putting in nearly the technique and effort that Kinship is doing and charging roughly the same amount. The smokehouse chicken is listed as a half for $24. I have not yet actually gotten the chicken at Kinship, but commenting based on the raves of everyone who has.

7 minutes ago, dinoue said:

Curious if that's for a whole or half chicken. Totally puts in perspective the $56 whole chicken at Kinship if you get half a chicken fried at a place that is not putting in nearly the technique and effort that Kinship is doing and charging roughly the same amount. The smokehouse chicken is listed as a half for $24. I have not yet actually gotten the chicken at Kinship, but commenting based on the raves of everyone who has.

I hope it's for a whole chicken, because $25 for a half chicken with waffles is ridiculous and unjustifiable.

I also hope it's for a half chicken, because while $25 for a whole chicken is at least understandable, serving a whole chicken as what can be gleaned as a personal entree from the menu is just as ridiculous and unjustifiable.

• Like 1

Good point. I doubt it's a whole bird - I attached 2 pictures from Yelp. They aren't the only people doing this with fried chicken. Live Oak in Del Ray has a $12 fried chicken "special" on Monday, which is a leg and a thigh. It's tasty, but not a lot of food at all. That's about a quarter chicken, right? Missing a breast and a wing to be a full half. EDIT - the pictures are from Hen Quarter, I was just mentioning Live Oak as comparison.

chicken and waffle.jpg

chicken and waffle 2.jpg

• Like 1

We went to Hen Quarter in Old Town with Hubby's parents after doing the Escape Room.  I thought some things seemed a bit overpriced, but also the portions were too big, as well.  We started with deviled eggs, biscuits and pimento cheese.  I didn't love the pimento cheese with the naan, it was fine, but not great, I think melting it just lost something in a way.  The deviled eggs were very good, my best friend makes them better, but she is very talented, note it's only 3 per order.  The biscuits were better than the last time I had them and really good with the fig jam served.  I saw them bring a plate of chicken and waffles and thought it was an order for two people, it seemed terribly large for one person.  Hubby got the smokehouse chicken- this was half a chicken with a large portion of mashed potatoes and greens.  I thought the chicken was juicy, and it was good, I liked the sauce.  FIL had what to me was a Fred Flintstone sized pork chop, it had a really good rub on it and was very juicy (I wouldn't be surprised if it was partially cooked sous-vide as it was big).  I had the flappers (double wings) with succotash instead of fries and salad it came with, you can sub any sides, but the mac and cheese without any additional charge (mac and cheese is $2).  After all the apps, I could only eat 3 of the double wings and took the rest home with some succotash.  But the wings were good and I like the breading and thought they were fried well.   SIL took home about half her dinner, and I took home an additional wing from my MIL.  I think this is a great place to get some appetizers and share, especially with people who aren't super adventurous, the food was good, and it is very safe food. There wasn't anything that we really didn't like, except I just didn't prefer the pimento cheese, but others seemed to like it.  Anyway, as we didn't pay- no complaints on costs, but the portions did seem like it is the type of place that you could split an app or side and entree and probably have plenty of food.  And I would guess they likely have good happy hour specials.  The second floor does have a nice little view over King Street and it was kind of fun to watch everyone out and about.

• Like 1

They're open in Silver Spring and, according to their website, they're opening soon in Penn Quarter.

• Like 2

Penn Quarter should be open in a few weeks. 

In Reston Town Center, they opened Hen Penny, a lower price point fast-casual establishment. Not sure if it gets its own thread or not.

---

[For sure. DR]

Silver Spring location has closed per their Facebook page.

"We are sad to announce our Silver Spring location is closed as of today, however a new concept will be coming soon! Thank you to all our customers, and don't forget to check out our Alexandria or DC locations!"

18 hours ago, cheezepowder said:

The Penn Quarter location closed (Washington City Paper).

We walked by on New Years Eve and they had a sign on the door saying they were closed but the lights were still on (no people).

On 9/3/2016 at 5:16 PM, alexandria1 said:

A cocktail that's too avant-garde for a "vintage pizza bistro", but too folksy for an "american kitchen + spirit"?

Strangely prescient!