Hazel, Modern American on 9th and V Street in Shaw - Chef Robert Curtis Replaces Rob Rubba

We had a really great meal at Hazel Saturday night, even without Rob in the kitchen.  I have to say the food was really good, but service was just amazing.  We sat outside, as we hadn't hit the super chilly weather quite yet on Saturday and the nearby fires added some heat.  The patio is just so pretty, it feels very Poste circa 2006- aka just somewhere cool you want to be.  We had a view into the kitchen (I had never been here before) that was just cool.  Me and the bestie were dressed pretty nice as this was dinner pre-ten year law school reunion and we were out to have a good time.  Our server did not disappoint, she was cool and fun, and just all over a great time.  We got some free champagne, she brought the wine out to the patio for me to try a sip of before pouring a whole glass.  We had fun.  We ordered chicken wings, which were sticky and messy and delicious, they were huge- those were like sumo chickens.  The blistered peppers, which were also a good portion, not to hot, but with a nice flavor.  We also had the shrimp- which isn't a huge portion, but I really liked the flavor and beet crisp, the harissa was not too hot, but just really flavorful, short-rib was to me a bit off in texture- not by a lot and not quite sure how they do it or exactly what I would do different, in flavor combos it was spot on (but a touch of harissa from the shrimp and well, just good too), this was kind of my friends dish so I only had so many bites, but I liked them.  Last the cauliflower- there were so many spices and elements in this dish, I can't even explain it, but I thought it was delicious and outshined for me the two meat entrees.  I love when a place does that.  We left not too full, but not hungry either, so perfect amount of food (although I would have probably looked at dessert, but bestie is on keto).  We both agreed we felt the dishes were elevated above something we could make at home, and she is a really good cook, and the service just made us feel special.    

• Like 4

I'd definitely recommend checking out the new menu.  We went last night.  The place was busy but had a number of open tables, but when we walked in they said they were fully booked and welcomed us to sit at the bar.  This is a recurring theme at Hazel (open seats; saying they're booked) and I never understand it.  Anyway, we asked if the patio was open, and it was.  They happily turned on the heatlamp because it was a bit chilly.  That patio is such a great and lovely space, I'm glad to hear they're making better use of it with Hazelito.

The food itself was very good.  There were a few boring misses (e.g. charred cabbage), but we LOVED the chicken liver mousse on rye toast with citrus--though I love most things on rye toast.  Still, it wasn't too livery and was well-executed.

The made to order laffa bread was delicious.  It comes out in a huge puff ala the scallion pancake at Peter Chang's, and we enjoyed all 3 of the sauces we ordered with it (catfish, carrot, and shug).  Upon request, they gave us another piece of bread for free.  Other highlights included the delicate gnocchi and beef tartare with turkish coffee mixed in (though it was a bit wetter than I would have wanted).  Annoyingly the menu online hasn't been updated since March 16th, so I forget a few other items we ordered.

Drinks were good (any negroni riff is good by me).  Service was friendly and attentive.  Overall, we left quite full for $60 per person including tax, tip and a drink each. 

14 minutes ago, funkyfood said:

The place was busy but had a number of open tables, but when we walked in they said they were fully booked and welcomed us to sit at the bar.  This is a recurring theme at Hazel (open seats; saying they're booked) and I never understand it.

The only reason I can think of is they don't have the floor staff to properly service all the tables?

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

The only reason I can think of is they don't have the floor staff to properly service all the tables?

Not just floor staff; kitchen staff. And they may have ordered only a certain amount of food the night before (less likely). Also, there is the possibility that reservations are coming in 30 minutes (less likely still with an empty restaurant, but with a busy restaurant, quite possible).

But this is one reason it always pays to have a reservation.

I don't usually cut-and-paste emails, but since I'm on the subject, I also got this from Hazel today about their new patio menu:

"Introducing Hazelito"

6d2bddc9-8be9-4cf4-ab2a-f9c74d9bbdfe.png
9ef94d6f-444d-456b-b288-3cd7ef79f61f.png

NEW PATIO MENU LAUNCHES TODAY
Congratulations! It’s a… HAZELITO
We’re pumped to launch our brand-new taco + cocktail + beer menu, HAZELITO, just in time for patio weather.

Chef Robert Curtis has created a slew of of Middle Eastern-influenced tacos and snacks, including “Urfa Hot” Chicken with toum; Pilpelchuma Pork, pickled onions, zhug; and Smoked Lamb, sumac onions, Aleppo aioli (among others). Wash it all down with delicious brews hand-picked by Beer Director Greg Engert and refreshing cocktails by Nick Farrel – expect beers from The Veil & Bluejacket, Friesling Margaritas, and a sessionable Negroni.

The Hazelito menu is offered on the patio + bar only during regular restaurant hours (Tue, Wed, Thurs 5-11pm; Fri 5-12pm; Sat 12-12pm; Sunday 11am-10:30pm) in addition to our 
a la carte menus! Come check it out any time. 

d40c18a9-432d-43f5-be71-2c9e941c26ec.png
c1b1e01c-60f5-4f4a-bebe-b75b88a96772.png
SATURDAY BRUNCH? DON’T MIND IF WE DO
Saturdays from noon to 2pm, and Sundays from 11am to 2pm
Hazel is now serving brunch on Saturdays AND Sundays. Yeah, you read that right. Choose from fan favorites like:
tahini coffee cake, foie gras mousse, sea salt
chickpea pancakes, toasted cardamom butter, maple syrup
heirloom corn grits, crab butter, fennel marmalade
shakshuka, baked eggs, harissa, feta, cilantro

Or, grab some friends and go all in with the “
Whole Shebang” (one of everything) for $110.
16176ec4-340c-4f49-941d-9e0398707910.png
CELEBRATE EASTER IN SHAW
Sunday, April 21st
Join us for Easter brunch OR dinner on Sunday, April 21st. We’ll keep this simple: enjoy our a la carte brunch and dinner menus, inside or al fresco – the choice is yours.

Head to 
hazelrestaurant.com for the full menus. Reservations are strongly encouraged and can be made here or by calling (202) 847-4980.
7f567893-1d63-4931-a2e6-b1a885dc530c.png
bae60af8-d99c-4cad-a923-6b33107eddd4.png