Jesse Wong's Asean Bistro, Columbia

The chef is originally from Malaysia (although the menu is all over the map) - maybe the Malay Style Curry?

Cheers,

Rocks.

Malaysian - maybe the tom yum soup. I wonder if he will do special one offs - I guess I am just thinking mm... curry laksa.

Also I was just on the Baltimore Mag web site to see what they say... there's a Jesse Wong’s Hong Kong, 10215 Wincopin Cir., Columbia, which well... yum... Cantonese.

Asean Bistro's menu is eclectic, but most things I have had have been done well. A former colleague was addicted to the hot and sour soup,** and I have liked the jade dumplings, lettuce wraps, and the tea smoked duck. Most nights there is someone playing showtunes on the baby grand piano near the entry. They also have coupons worth up to 10% off the meal on weeknights.

**second hand info to be sure, but I can report that the look of delight when eating the soup appeared to be genuine.

I don't remember what I said in the other topic, but my experiences have all been at the Hong Kong location on the waterfront, not the Bistro location.

I've been several times, but have never ordered off the menu. I went with some Chinese friends, and they just had a discussion with the manager (in Mandarin) and we got a table-full of food. No misses in those meals.

My brother, wife and I went to Asean Bistro and had a decent meal last night. Interestingly, two of the items we attempted to order--the samosa appetizer and the macademian chicken entree--were no longer available despite being on the menu. The waiter did, however, say the chicken dish could be prepared pretty much the same way but with cashews, so my brother agreed.

Since my wife was famished, she asked for a suggestion of another appetizer and the waiter suggested the calamari. It turned out to be wonderfully soft and not the least bit chewy and the batter had a nice spice to it, though I tend to like a lighter batter.

As for our entrees, my wife and I both eyed Jesse's Special Curry Shrimp, and since she is a pushover for lemongrass, she won that struggle. I was going to get the spicy chicken with green beans recommended in the thread above but the waiter said that his favorite is the pinot grigiot shrimp"for a long time" and he promised to add some spice to it. All three dishes had good flavor, and I was certainly glad they did add spice to the pinot grigiot shrimp b/c it would have been god-awfully sweet without it. The shrimp (probably actually prawns, but I'm no Jacque Gastreaux) were huge and well cooked, but I have to say that all three dishes were almost ruined by the texture of the sauces: they were thicker than my mom's gravy. Much thicker. My wife's curry sat on top and clung to every crevice and ridge of the food. Were it not for the interesting flavors and wonderful shrimp, the sauces' textures would have turned me off completely. Is this a characteristic of Malaysian cooking or just bad cooking?

Thanks for the suggestion. We were glad not to go to a chain.

Pax,

Brian

I have been eating at the Jesse Wong's Kitchen in Huntvalley, MD. The lunch special are worth to try.

Nice to see free appetizers (saute veggie, tofu, fried tamato, fried sting bean, etc) were wonderful.

The restaurant is located in back of the Huntvalley Mall.

No Dim Sum available though.

Also I was just on the Baltimore Mag web site to see what they say... there's a Jesse Wong's Hong Kong, 10215 Wincopin Cir., Columbia, which well... yum... Cantonese.
Not anymore. I'd always kept Jesse Wong's Hong Kong in mind for acceptable Cantonese and better than some Dim Sum. Looks like they closed the location on the lake in December. According to Elizabeth Large in the Balto Sun, the Asean Bistro location is still open.

Not anymore. I'd always kept Jesse Wong's Hong Kong in mind for acceptable Cantonese and better than some Dim Sum. Looks like they closed the location on the lake in December. According to Elizabeth Large in the Balto Sun, the Asean Bistro location is still open.

There is nothing that can survive in that location! Over the decades, I have seen several restaurants try, but they never seem to make it. Only Clyde's, Tomato Palace (anchored by Clyde's) and Sushi Sono have made it. I did enjoy the Brazilian joint that was there before Jesse Wong moved in.

Most importantly, Jesse Wong's Asean Bistro isn't closed. Jesse Wong's Hong Kong in Columbia closed, but the Asean Bistro just off Rte 108 is open and seems full whenever I visit.

The Asean Bistro tops the Chinese restaurants in Howard County. It isn't the authentic Chinese menu that you can get at Grace Garden in Odenton or even off the "secret" menu at Hunan Legend in Columbia. It's an array of dishes from China, Malaysia and southeast Asia (this the name "ASEAN," like the alliance) translated for American palates. A large menu, and I haven't had anything that failed. We love the Szechuan green beans, the spicy black bean chicken, great tofu dishes, the chow fun noodles. Over time, we have discovered the red sauced wonton appetizer and the duke chicken entree. The first is a bowl of mild wontons stuffed with pureed scallops, chicken and pork and then sitting in a soy-based sauce that gives a really nice flavor. The entree is spicy, sauteed chicken with peanuts. A cousin of kung po, but strips of white meat instead of diced chicken. In the end, I think the Asean Bistro beats out good rivals like Hunan Manor because it consistently avoids the gloppy taste too common in Chinese places. The crispy beef at Asean Bistro is a treat. At Hunan Manor, it was soft and tasted of breading.

The Asean Bistro is one of those nice places in a shopping center. They transformed the inside with wood and murals. There isn't live piano music on many nights. Ironically, the Asean Bistro is also probably *the best* place for delivery if you live up near Ellicott City. When we did, this was our delivery joint -- the black bean chicken, a chow fun, and hot & sour soup with a waxpaper bag of crispy, fried noodles. You can't get those noodles at the restaurant. Only delivery. It's a great night.