Capital Bikeshare - 400 Stations with 3,000 Bicycles in DC and Close-In Suburbs

DonRocks

I want to congratulate the great Capital Bikeshare for opening their 400th station. This is a great program that I'm proud to be a member of, and its advantages are numerous - one of which is that you can "park" close to wherever you're going in DC, walk a couple of blocks, and be right there. It's a way to guarantee a parking space, so to speak, especially if your car is at another station, perhaps a mile away.

Please consider me a huge supporter of this fine company (I can't vouch for its internals, but from a commuter's, tourist's, or weekend warrior's perspective, it's a wonderful resource).

"100 Reasons to Celebrate our 400th Station" on capitalbikeshare.com

Go to their website and find out all sorts of details about joining, etc. I think I paid $75 for an annual membership [it has been raised to $85, undoubtedly due to its popularity] which gives me unlimited, free, 30-minute rides. I often ride 20-25 minutes to another station, then grab another bike there, and repeat the "cycle" (sorry).

I've done this when I travel to another city with bikeshare.  At home, I would load my bike into my car, drive to Chain Bridge, park, and then bike into town on the tow path.  Because many cities don't have bikeshare, I just bought a Bromtpon folding bike and a hard case.  I will now check my folding bike as luggage on flights.  Next week I will test this out on my trip to Vegas.

Biking is a great form of transportation and decent exercise too. 

12 minutes ago, ces1965 said:

I would love to use this more, but it seems too expensive for occasional use

The key is to strategically stop at stations before your free thirty minutes is over - you can do this indefinitely and not pay anything extra. It's pretty noteworthy how many new stations have been added.

I read somewhere (here?) that a competing company with electric-assisted bicycles is coming to town, if they aren't already here.

---

Coincidentally, I just got this email last week:

Hello [Don] Rockwell,

We are writing to inform you the expiration date of your subscription is 2018-03-31. Based on your current preferences your subscription will be automatically renewed. 

If you have further questions, feel free to contact us.

Thank you from the Capital Bikeshare team!
DDOT, Arlington County, Fairfax County, the City of Alexandria, Montgomery County and operated by Motivate International, Inc.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check us out online at http://www.capitalbikeshare.com or at Facebook.com/CapitalBikeshare.

Contact us directly
Phone: 877-430-BIKE (2453)
Email: customerservice@capitalbikeshare.com