The Italian Place Gourmet Market - Mostly-Carryout Italian Deli with a Few Outdoor Tables in Old Town

A friend and I stopped for a quick look around today, hoping they had dine-in.  They do some carryout sandwiches and the place smelled absolutely terrific, but there's no indoor seating.  A few bistro tables outside, but it was a tad too chilly to sit on metal chairs on a cloudy afternoon.  They advertise fresh bread brought in daily, and there's a selection of wines, gelato, pasta and similar.  And the red sauce smells like I'd want to drink a gallon of it.

Weezy, from your description, it sounds like you may be referring to Gemelli's Italian Market in Darnestown ( 12169 Darnestown Rd, Gaithersburg, MD 2087).  I have bought many a great sandwich from them.  it's also my go-to place when composing an antipasto plate for company.  

18 hours ago, schulju said:

Weezy, from your description, it sounds like you may be referring to Gemelli's Italian Market in Darnestown ( 12169 Darnestown Rd, Gaithersburg, MD 2087).  I have bought many a great sandwich from them.  it's also my go-to place when composing an antipasto plate for company.  

Nope, this is in Old Town, on Wythe Street, just behind the Exxon on N. Washington.  I think it's open mid-day hours?  I didn't check the sign, but when I drive home on Wythe, it has been closed at 5:30-5:45 every time. 

Its small and open/closed times are a bit awkward, but the sandwich that I had the other day - the "Giorgio" - was definitely tasty.  Certainly as good as Market 2 Market in Del Ray, in terms of locally comparable italian-style sandwiches.  I do think the bread is probably better than M2M, which can get a bit soggy when taking it to go.  Good, fresh ingredients and the sandwich was big enough to be filling, but not overstuffed to make it impossible to eat.  I think the husband/wife owners were on premises when I was there - they were friendly and enthusiastic.  I'll be back.

Just two weeks ago, I had a sub, Chinoto, and and a delicious pastry here, but didn't think to post. I'm told the pastry was delivered direct from Milano (I think). All excellent. I'd say the sub was not quite as good as The Italian Store, but better than Del Ray's Market to Market or the Italian deli on Fairfax St (name escapes me). Told me they make the bread in the store. It has sesame seeds, which isn't Italian in my experience, but was still great.

Incidentally, since M2M of Del Ray changed ownership I think the quality has slipped, to wit: they now use a domestic prosciutto which is salty and bland compared to the genuine article (or even well made domestics). 

I have been wanting to try this place, but it's a bit of a walk from my office, and I don't normally make it out by their closing time, except Fridays.  And to be honest, once in my car, the Italian Store is also on my direct route home.  Anyone know if they deliver or have paired up with any delivery services yet?  My office would be very into that.