Review #10 - China Chilcano

Which Restaurants Do You Want Reviewed? (Multiple Choices Allowed)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which Restaurants Do You Want Reviewed? (Multiple Choices Allowed)

• Thai by Thai (Thai in Sterling, Fairfax, Annandale, and Dunn Loring)
    • Chettinadu (Indian in Rockville)
    • Makoto (Japanese in Palisades)
    • Cedar Knoll (American in Alexandria)
    • Inferno Pizzeria Napoletana (Pizzeria in Gaithersburg)
    • Graffiato (Italian in Chinatown)
    • Osteria Marzano (Italian in Franconia)
    • Hank's Pasta Bar (Italian in Alexandria)
    • La Bergerie (French in Alexandria)
    • Bar Civita (Modern American in Woodley Park)
    • Blacksalt (Seafood in Palisades)
    • Alta Strada (Italian in City Vista)
    • Montmartre (French in SE Capitol Hill)
    • River Bend Bistro (American in Alexandria)
    • Bidwell (Southern in Union Market)
    • Bantam King (Japanese in Chinatown)
    • Rasika (Indian in Penn Quarter)
    • Hazel (Modern American in Shaw)
    • Masseria (Italian at Union Market)
    • Hugo's (Modern Mexican in Houston) See 10/24 1:43 PM Post
    • Timber Pizza Co. (Pizzeria in Petworth)
    • Essie's Carriage House (American in Arlington)
    • Oohh's & Aahh's (Soul Food in U Street Corridor)
    • China Chilcano (Chifa in Penn Quarter)

This poll is closed to new votes

I also want to mention that there are no geographical restrictions for the nominations - don't forget, we have forums in New York City, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and Baltimore (for now). 

Obviously, if (for example) a New York restaurant wins, I'd want to cluster a couple more with it, so in that case, I might hold a "New York only poll" for the next week or two afterwards. The bottom line is: Wherever you all want me to go, I'm going to go (even if we don't have a forum there).

I would only ask you to remember that I spend my own money, and that I'm not wealthy; I'm just dedicated.

8 hours ago, Pat said:

I will re-nominate Pineapple and Pearls.  (Feel free to book a bar seat:).)

Pat, the only reason it dropped off the list is because it won Poll #9. If you want to renominate it, that's fine, but I think it would be best if I waited awhile for the menu to change. Did you really want to renominate it, or did you just not know?

(There's no wrong answer here - I'll be happy to explore a place twice, three times, or however many times it wins the poll.)

I took Johnny's Half Shell off because I reviewed it on my own - should I put that back on too?

10 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Pat, the only reason it dropped off the list is because it won Poll #9. If you want to renominate it, that's fine, but I think it would be best if I waited awhile for the menu to change. Did you really want to renominate it, or did you just not know?

(There's no wrong answer here - I'll be happy to explore a place twice, three times, or however many times it wins the poll.)

I took Johnny's Half Shell off because I reviewed it on my own - should I put that back on too?

I was replying to your comment: 

Johnny's Half Shell and Pineapple and Pearls will drop out of this poll unless they're renominated.

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I know you were, but now that I've explained things, do you still want it put in the poll?

Don't bother including it, but it might be helpful when you're saying which places are dropping off that you indicate why. I'm having trouble telling one poll from another, since so so many of the same places keep appearing.

---

[Done. DR]

3 hours ago, Josh said:

I've made a decision involving restaurants that will involve me needing a hotel room (whether it's via Amtrak to Philadelphia, car to Charlottesville, or plane to Houston): Whenever a restaurant in a given city wins a poll, it gets stored in a bucket for that city, and the highest *local* finisher (local to the DMV or Baltimore - something that won't involve me staying overnight) in the poll is the one that "wins," and is the one I'll immediately review. When the distant city accumulates three restaurants, I will reserve my hotel room, and go; I don't want to be flying 2,000 miles to Texas, or 5,000 miles to Denmark, and spending over $1,000 in travel costs,just to try one restaurant - but three is enough to get me to travel.

That's reasonable, isn't it?

Note also that I travel a fair amount to San Francisco, and that we wouldn't necessarily need to accumulate three restaurants there - likewise Philadelphia, New York City, or any other place I happen to be traveling to - if there are any outstanding restaurants in a location where I'm visiting, waiting to be reviewed, I'll review them.

Also note that from this point forward, I'm going to be reviewing every single hotel where I stay, and I encourage others to do the same - with photos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I've made a decision involving restaurants that will involve me needing a hotel room (whether it's via Amtrak to Philadelphia, car to Charlottesville, or plane to Houston): Whenever a restaurant in a given city wins a poll, it gets stored in a bucket for that city, and the highest *local* finisher (local to the DMV or Baltimore - something that won't involve me staying overnight) in the poll is the one that "wins," and is the one I'll immediately review. When the distant city accumulates three restaurants, I will reserve my hotel room, and go; I don't want to be flying 2,000 miles to Texas, or 5,000 miles to Denmark, and spending over $1,000 in travel costs,just to try one restaurant - but three is enough to get me to travel.

That's reasonable, isn't it?

Note also that I travel a fair amount to San Francisco, and that we wouldn't necessarily need to accumulate three restaurants there - likewise Philadelphia, New York City, or any other place I happen to be traveling to - if there are any outstanding restaurants in a location where I'm visiting, waiting to be reviewed, I'll review them.

Also note that from this point forward, I'm going to be reviewing every single hotel where I stay, and I encourage others to do the same - with photos.

That is quite reasonable...and I would be more than happy to give you 3 more Houston restaurants to review. ?

Also: Bourdain's "Parts Unknown" for this coming Sunday is Houston, so everyone make sure to watch!

2 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Yes, sorry, for some reason while typing I cut off part of my post.  I have been doing that a lot on my new mac, I don't know how, but I need to pay attention.

It reminds me of how orgasmic the baked chicken and mac and cheese here used to be.