Pierre-Auguste Renoir (1841-1919) - French Impressionist Known for Piercing Eyes

DonRocks

If anyone wants to argue that Impressionism is the most overplayed, hackneyed art movement in all of history, you'll get no argument from me. 

If anyone wants to argue that, with the possible exception of Claude Monet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir is the most overplayed, hackneyed Impressionist in history, you'll also get no argument from me.

But to my view, no painter in history can produce more beautiful *eyes* than Renoir - his eyes are so captivating that I'm able to see through all the dilettantes (of which I'm often one), crowding around the Impressionist galleries. You can often tell an Impressionist painting is a Renoir from the eyes alone.

La Rêverie, 1877 - Puschkin Museum, Moscow, Russia

LaReverie.jpg

Luncheon of the Boating Party, 1881 - The Phillips Collection, Washington, DC

Luncheon.jpg

Two Sisters (On The Terrace), 1881 - The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL

TwoSisters.jpg

Some masterworks in life lend themselves to close scrutiny; a small minority can be appreciated at face value - this falls into that latter category. They are just beautiful - the pictorial version of Bel Canto Opera. Any serious student of art here just lowered their opinion of me several rungs, and I understand why, but I don't care: Tawdry entertainment or not, these are gorgeous paintings.