Pop-Up Restaurants

10 minutes ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

Interested in learning & enjoying  the ever popular Pop Up restaurants? Has this trend caught popularity in the District? 

I've never actually thought about "why" before now, and my guess (it's only a guess) is that it's a similar concept to eBay - you have a supplier (of unrented kitchen space, usually temporary), and a demander (someone who wants to start a restaurant, but isn't ready to go The Full Monty, often due to "the perfect location" not yet being available), and someone had enough vision to link the two together and create the concept. 

Just like eBay has someone with a Hummel figurine sitting in their attic collecting dust, and they're linked up with a buyer in Des Moines who collects Hummels, creating a $50 transaction, making the market "more perfect," and filling the gaps.

Anyway, that's my guess, and the more commercial (culinary) real estate and restaurants a city has, the more pop-ups you'll see. Yes, we have them here in DC, more than in most cities. As a restaurant-forum administrator, I view them as something of an annoyance, but the world doesn't exist exclusively to please me ... although it should, dammit!

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

I've never actually thought about "why" before now, and my guess (it's only a guess) is that it's a similar concept to eBay - you have a supplier (of unrented kitchen space, usually temporary), and a demander (someone who wants to start a restaurant, but isn't ready to go The Full Monty, often due to "the perfect location" not yet being available), and someone had enough vision to link the two together and create the concept. 

Just like eBay has someone with a Hummel figurine sitting in their attic collecting dust, and they're linked up with a buyer in Des Moines who collects Hummels, creating a $50 transaction, making the market "more perfect," and filling the gaps.

Anyway, that's my guess, and the more commercial (culinary) real estate and restaurants a city has, the more pop-ups you'll see. Yes, we have them here in DC, more than in most cities. As a restaurant-forum administrator, I view them as something of an annoyance, but the world doesn't exist exclusively to please me ... although it should, dammit!

Its a Rocks world, we just live in it...

There's a series of pop-ups in my town that have garnered a rather stealth following.The drawback, it only runs a few times, & I'm left wanting more. Their model is pretty straightforward, just curious the execution in other hoods. 

as always, thanks for your insight!!! 

kat