Ace has always had the Ango and Ango Orange when I've been in there.

I've never had a problem finding regular Ango at Harris Teeters, though in Virginia you usually have to go to ABC stores for Peychauds.

A friend of mine with a wine store (Oakton Wine Shop) took a chance on carrying some Fee's, but last I checked hadn't managed to sell a single bottle.

In my fridge I will have an opened apertif or sherry of some kind: dry vermouth, red vermouth (trying to phase this out actually), byrrh, or sherry.

Why are you phasing out red vermouth?

I buy Anitca and decant into 3 smaller bottles. It lasts until I finish all 3 without any real change to the flavor.

I see you're loyal to Plymouth/Beefeater. Do you have any loyalties to the rye or bourbon?

Who reliably stocks Angostura orange in the Washington area? I bought a bottle of it at (I think) the Giant at Lee Highway and Spout Run Parkway in Arlington about three years ago, and I haven't seen it anywhere since. I really liked it.

I've bought it twice at the Giant in Wheaton. Seriously.

Why are you phasing out red vermouth?

I see you're loyal to Plymouth/Beefeater. Do you have any loyalties to the rye or bourbon?

I like red vermouth, but I'm trying to address the issues of being the only drinker at home, with a family including a nursing child that makes it awkward to have drinking buddies come over. Basically, I'm trying to minimize citrus and multiple open bottles of apertifs. Jeff Faile at Fiola likes to sub Averna for recipes that call for red vermouth; therefore, I have been using more Averna instead. Jon Harris likes to add cassis to dry vermouth or Byhrr, that seems to be an occasional riff he does for a couple red vermouth recipes. In short, I feel dry vermouth is more flexible than red vermouth can be, although I acknowledge it is by no means a perfect subsitute. I am just trying to keep my apertifs as fresh as possible and choosing the most flexible ones. Eliminating red vermouth may be a short-lived experiment . . .

Similarly, I'm trying to reduce the citrus I have on hand. I like to eat the peels (yes, I'm a freak), so I buy organic citrus, but I always seem to waste some product here due to spoilage. So I've been making and buying shrubs. I said one of my house drinks is the martini, actually it's the Gibson with a pickled cocktail onion instead of a twist. But Negronis demand an orange twist.

I guess I am an Old Overholt and Pikesville guy. But I also like Wild Turkey Rye, Ritenhouse B-I-B, Sazerac 6 year old . . . I'm fine with them all. I love Red Hooks but I don't want to drink them everyday, so Punt e Mes is out. I guess I'm not a big Tanqueray guy or other many other gins. Adam Bernbach recently told me people approach martinis much like their cigarettes, they are loyal to their brand and I guess that is true in my case.

Bourbon I am trying to branch out more, currently I have the Wild Turkey Rare Breed going. I may soon join a neighborhood whiskey circle (my daughter's best friend dad is into that, and our wives are cool with each other) so I may up my bourbon game here soon. I have resisted being a pour and sip guy, just because making cocktails was an important culinary act that I could perform daily without too much further time committment, but it's time to expand my horizons.

Besides my house drinks, I also try to keep some local recipes that I love; Chantal's Tabard Cocktail, Adam's Darkside, Derek's Getaway, plus various classic drinks that Justin Guthrie prepared for me when he got me into cocktails. Tom Brown made me a sherry Aviation that I like to make too. I also love Robert Hess's Trident and I like making Mai Tais and gin fizzes. That means I usually have Milagro Reposado Tequila, Lustau Amontillado Sherry, Drambuie, Barolo Chinato, Cruzan Blackstrap, Cynar . . .

I like to eat the peels (yes, I'm a freak)

Oh, David...don't say that like it's the only reason. :D

• Like 1

Who reliably stocks Angostura orange in the Washington area? I bought a bottle of it at (I think) the Giant at Lee Highway and Spout Run Parkway in Arlington about three years ago, and I haven't seen it anywhere since. I really liked it.

Schneider's of Capitol Hill may have it too.

I saw Ango Orange at the Rhode Island Giant tonight. Shocked. $8 for 4 oz bottle. Saw the same bottle today at the liquor store on P St next to Dupont Circle for $20.

The Giant at Van Ness has revised some of their offerings and moved everything around over the last few months, and not all of the changes have been positive (they seem to have dropped the excellent Fiorucci products they used to carry, for one thing), but they've got a greatly expanded cocktail mixer/accessory section, with Angostura orange bitters, among other things, such as some pretty fancy cocktail/maraschino cherries (with no artificial coloring, but I still didn't like them much). I bought a bottle of the orange bitters a few weeks ago, but have no idea what I paid for them.

I stopped by the new Giant on H St NE, they had both Ango flavors for 8.00 per 4 oz bottle.

If you have any feedback on this article I wrote for Plum Deluxe, I'd appreciate it.

Good article for the youngsters getting into better drinks than Everclear and Kool-Aid in a trash can. I'd quibble with some choices, but that goes to opinion more than fact (i.e. no love for Flor de Cana rum? Cheap. Delish. ABC-accessible.) My one correction is that Patron is misspelled as "Padron".

Erp! Must slipped passed me.

Rum was the hard one, since there are so many of them. I went with what I typically drink, and honestly, I don't think I have a bottle of Flor de Cana in my house!

(I do like to promote Chairman's Reserve a lot because Clyde Davis is local and just a great guy - and I'm a big fan of his product too.)

• Like 1

It was maybe 2-3 years ago we dove in to set up and maintain a proper set of bar tools and cocktail library. Prior to that, it was mas maybe 5-7 years of just having cocktails when out for dinner, usually ordered quickly so we could sip them while perusing menus and wine lists.

A bartender at Dino's Grotto suggested the cart he used to store his home liquors when we were chatting about how and where to store this stuff. Amazon FTW. Anyway, it holds easily 50 bottles of stuff on 3 levels and has storage for bar type implements and so on. It's great.

The main problem I have with making cocktails at home is, well, that every time you read about an interesting cocktail, you want to make it and yup, you guessed it, it requires at least one alcoholic beverage that you do not yet have. That's how you get to 50 bottles of stuff. haha.

9 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

A bartender at Dino's Grotto suggested the cart he used to store his home liquors when we were chatting about how and where to store this stuff. Amazon FTW. Anyway, it holds easily 50 bottles of stuff on 3 levels and has storage for bar type implements and so on. It's great.

Can you share what it is?

This one is very, very similar to the one we have - I think it is missing the upside down glasses hanging stuff. Then again, maybe I just never noticed that feature. You can easily fit 40-50 bottles of various sizes is you use all 3 of the shelves for storage.

4 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

This one is very, very similar to the one we have - I think it is missing the upside down glasses hanging stuff. Then again, maybe I just never noticed that feature. You can easily fit 40-50 bottles of various sizes is you use all 3 of the shelves for storage.

It’s too bad but Bud Mepham, Who used to operate Bars By Bud out of a store in Merrifield, passed away and the business closed.  Bud built custom home bars (and commercial ones) for decades.  If one entertained he would build you a bar that would wow your friends and relatives.  He could customize it to fit your room regardless of the dimensions and it would accommodate a large amount of storage plus connect to your pipes for water and handle soda water with canisters for soda guns.  Price of course would vary as they were custom designed and built.

Admittedly even the simplest ones were more expensive than the well designed storage cart on Amazon 

I was always impressed by the elegance of the simple table holding all the booze in the Eyes Wide Shut pool table scene.  

ews_b_vtoast-620x466.jpg

The hardest part of a home bar is finding the bottle you are looking for. The second hardest thing about a home bar is making sure you never run out of your preferred base liquors at the spine of all of your favorite cocktails.