Harriet's, The Restaurant (Not the Tavern Which Is Harry's) in the Hotel Harrington 11th and E Streets NW Downtown

I had lunch at "Harriet's" today in the Hotel Harrington. Harry's is the Pub, Harriet's is the family restaurant, and Ollie's Trolley is nearby and may be affiliated.

Harriet's is somewhat large, not very busy, and mediocre in quality. However, the combination of location and reasonable price are hard to beat. Plenty of competition in the immediate area, no doubt, but a moderately priced sit-down restaurant in that area of Penn Quarter is a rarity.

For $10.95, I had the roast beef sandwich on whole wheat, with sides of chips and cole slaw. Adding the house's steak sauce that was on every table made it a reasonably tasty dish, but it was otherwise unspectacular.

17 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

...However, the combination of location and reasonable price are hard to beat...Plenty of competition in the immediate area, no doubt, but a moderately priced sit-down restaurant in that area of Penn Quarter is a rarity...For $10.95, I had the roast beef sandwich on whole wheat, with sides of chips and cole slaw. 

Certainly don't mean to question you on your post--but is it really the case that $10.95 for a deli sandwich with chips is a reasonable price downtown nowadays? Genuinely interested in the answer--I have been gone from the DC area for almost 5 years, so I have no idea how food/drink prices have evolved in that time. What does a beer cost at a non-dive, non-fancy bar nowadays?

When I left I think the normal price for a pitcher of Miller Lite at Ragtime in Courthouse (you can tell what a connoisseur I am) was $13, and last week I saw on their Facebook page that a $16 pitcher was a happy hour special. Has the inflation been that severe elsewhere?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tentimesodds said:

Certainly don't mean to question you on your post--but is it really the case that $10.95 for a deli sandwich with chips is a reasonable price downtown nowadays? Genuinely interested in the answer--I have been gone from the DC area for almost 5 years, so I have no idea how food/drink prices have evolved in that time. What does a beer cost at a non-dive, non-fancy bar nowadays?

When I left I think the normal price for a pitcher of Miller Lite at Ragtime in Courthouse (you can tell what a connoisseur I am) was $13, and last week I saw on their Facebook page that a $16 pitcher was a happy hour special. Has the inflation been that severe elsewhere?

You offer a fascinating perspective that I (and perhaps others) had completely overlooked.

• Like 1