When I first heard that a film about David Foster Wallace was being made, I was thrilled. Then I began reading articles about how his widow did not support "The End of the Tour." In the articles, she speculated that Wallace, who disliked the spotlight, would not have wanted a film to be made about him. That made sense to me, so, on principle, I avoided seeing it.

Several months later, when the movie came out on video, a friend who is a Wallace fan and one of the few people I know who has also read "Infinite Jest," urged me to see it. Curiosity got the better of me, so I decided to look for it online. It was available to stream for free, so I decided, why not?

I enjoyed "The End of the Tour" very much. At first, I was put off by Jason Segel playing Wallace. The actor, well known for such comedies as "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and "I Love You, Man," seemed oddly cast to me. As I watched the film, however, my impression changed. I think Segel did an excellent job capturing Wallace's quiet spirit. He became the author to me, and I found his portrayal touching and believable. 

The film is the story of the five-day interview between Rolling Stone reporter and novelist David Lipsky, played by Jesse Eisenberg, and Wallace, which takes place right after the 1996 publication of "Infinite Jest." The article was never published, but is based on Lipsky's memoir, "Although of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself: A Road Trip with David Foster Wallace," written after Wallace's suicide in 2008.

The relationship between the interviewer and the interviewee is fun to watch. Lipsky is in awe of Wallace, perhaps a bit intimidated and jealous, and Wallace is guarded at first, but also refreshingly candid when answering Lipsky's questions. I feel like I have a better understanding of one of my favorite authors after watching this film. Who knew Wallace had a secret crush on Alanis Morissette, and why? There is a scene at the very end of the film that shows Wallace doing something I never in a million years would have imagined him doing. Seeing this endeared him to me even more.

If you are a fan of big films with explosions and car chases, this is not the movie for you. If you like quiet films about ideas and relationships, you probably will enjoy "The End of the Tour." If you are a Wallace fan, and particularly a lover of "Infinite Jest," this film, I believe, is a worthy investment of your time and attention.

*** SPOILERS FOLLOW ***

I'm deliberately not going to read DIShGo's write-up until I'm finished the movie (and I'm five minutes into it). Let me start by saying that I would have bet a lot of money that the person who received the initial phone call about Wallace's death was Jonathan Franzen (he *looked* like Franzen); nope, it was David Lipsky.

I wish people would stop saying what a great author Ernest Hemingway is. Yes, he was a fine writer, his house in Key West is worth a visit; he was not a "great author." When Lipsky pitches his story to his editor at Rolling Stone, he speaks of "once-in-a-generation authors ... Hemingway, Pynchon ..." No. Just no! I seriously doubt that Lipsky mentioned "Hemingway" if he actually pitched the story like this. And I *like* Hemingway! He has a special place in my heart because "The Old Man and the Sea" is the first "real" book I ever read voluntarily (when I was about 21). Well, anyway, at least he said "Pynchon" instead of "Salinger."

DiShGo, even though I'm not reading your post, I remember when you first wrote it, you said you were initially taken back by Jason Segel playing Wallace, but then you "grew into" him doing it. I feel the exact same way right now, seventeen minutes into the film (they're at the diner "You don't drink, do you.") I think it's because we've both watched Wallace speak *so much* that we are acutely, painfully aware that Segel (and as of this moment, I have absolutely no idea who Jason Segel even is) doesn't sound, or really act, much like Wallace at all - he has some of his mannerisms down, but for people who have really *seen* Wallace like we have, this is a bit shocking. Hopefully, I'll get over it too (I think I will).

Wallace's exposition on masturbation and technology was just brilliant, and you just know those were his very own words, too. What I would give to be able to convey thoughts like those into words, with no hesitation whatsoever - what a genius.

Yep! Forty minutes into the movie, and I've become acclimated to Segel playing Wallace - I think he's pretty good. I did not know that Wallace was so shrill - this character is shockingly abrupt at times, and here I thought he was this shy introvert (which he was, but he also blurts out "Don't do this! Don't do that!" at regular intervals, and I didn't know that about him). It's amazing how much I see of Willem Dafoe in Jason Segel, and I mean strictly physically.

I really, really like the way this film is developing the friendship (if you can call it that, and I think you can) between Wallace and Lipsky. I didn't know who Lipsky is (I'm embarrassed to say), and I'm glad I'm learning about him (likewise Segel, but I guess he's a pop figure and I'm supposed to know who he is - sue me, I don't).

The allegory of this scene, when Lipsky and Wallace were aimlessly wandering through the Mall of America parking lot, Lipsky clicking and clicking his remote key, looking for his car, is painfully symbolic of Wallace's being so lost in living among the living-dead. I found this brief scene, probably seen as annoying filler by most viewers, to be incredibly sad. This 90-second scene, needlessly dumbed down by Wallace dropping his bag to display his displeasure - with the empty clicks of the technologically advanced remote key - pretty much said everything that needed to be said. I *really* wish Wallace hadn't dropped his bag, because it was otherwise just-about perfect.

Screenshot 2016-12-26 at 22.47.52.png

I cannot tell you how much I love these lines by Wallace:

"I don't think writers are smarter than other people. I think they may be more compelling in their stupidity. Or in their confusion. But I think one of the real ways I have gotten smarter is I don't think I'm that much smarter than other people. There are ways in which other people are a lot smarter than me. And I gotta tell you, it makes me feel kinda lonely ... Yes, it's true: I treasure my 'regular-guyness' - I've come to think that maybe it's my biggest asset as a writer, that I'm basically just like everybody else."

On 12/14/2016 at 8:29 PM, DIShGo said:

I enjoyed "The End of the Tour" very much. At first, I was put off by Jason Segel playing Wallace. The actor, well known for such comedies as "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and "I Love You, Man," seemed oddly cast to me. As I watched the film, however, my impression changed. I think Segel did an excellent job capturing Wallace's quiet spirit. He became the author to me, and I found his portrayal touching and believable. 

Who knew Wallace had a secret crush on Alanis Morissette, and why? There is a scene at the very end of the film that shows Wallace doing something I never in a million years would have imagined him doing. Seeing this endeared him to me even more.

Segel grew into the role very nicely.

Who else but Alanis Morrisette could you imagine putting quarters into parking meters?

And, even though it was at a Baptist church, it was to Brian Eno. And it's a *great* closing scene.

• Like 1

You mentioned some of my favorite lines from the film. And you are absolutely right about the parking lot scene. It was sad, and it felt like a pivotal moment in the film. Your comment about it being symbolic of Wallace being lost among the living dead is a brilliant observation and spot-on.