Arlington Kabob, Lee Highway in Arlington, and in the Former Afghan Kabob Space in Courthouse

Couldn't find a post about this place so please move if I'm wrong.

When my friend hosted book group, she got platters from here and they were delicious so I went with my son about a week ago.  And it was just as good.

They made a kid's plate for my boy with a kufta kabob, rice and a bit of carrots & potatoes in a sauce - he loved it but I ate the veggies.  I had the chicken kabob platter with my chosen side of sauteed spinach and naan-type warm bread.  Came with the yummy yogurt sauce too.  I finished it - nuff said.

Also had the baklava, a huge portion for $3.99.

Really nice staff/owners, a few tables for eating in and a lot of people coming to pick up their called in orders.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, beachgirl54 said:

Couldn't find a post about this place so please move if I'm wrong.

Thank you for posting about Arlington Kabob - I've driven past it many times, and have never stopped in. I love the little shopping center where it resides, because there are four slots for small businesses there - no big-box store will ever fit in there. I did some research to see what it's called, but can't even find a name for it.

Screenshot 2016-12-22 at 08.51.28.png

A quick perusal of Arlington Kabob's menu tells me that it's probably Afghan-owned (the Quabli Palaw was the deciding factor).

Don't sell places like this short when you get a hankering for a Steak & Cheese sub. If they're using Halal rib-eye and decent Provolone, it could be a sleeper item on the menu.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, arlingtonkabob said:

P.S. We do have steak and cheese on our menu, not Afghani cuisine at all, however reason behind it is our family restaurant 35 years ago was #1 in having the best steak and cheese in Arlington. We thought it be fun to bring back a piece of history greatness. It totally rocks and has been a top seller on fresh baked to order naan and in house cut Halal rib eye steak!

Welcome Sophia!

You'll find our community to be well-versed in Afghan cuisine, but by virtue of the fact that most of us grew up in America, we won't sneeze at a great Steak and Cheese, either (I personally love them, and they're almost never done very well - "often good; rarely great"). Halal ribeye with provolone on fresh-baked naan sounds like just about the perfect version of this (although personally, I've been looking for a great version of mantu, and that, too, is very difficult to find).

I'm sure you're proud of all your dishes, but would you name some authentic Afghan specialties that you're particularly fond of?

Thank you for posting! 
Don

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We went all in on a to go order last night, ordering a Combo 3, which was a ground chicken kabob, ground beef kabob (you may get lamb instead), steak kabob, and chicken kabob. The order comes in a huge foil container, and includes two types of rice (one is regular white with saffron and the other is brown with currant (?)). It also came with two sides and 3 pieces of naan. This was a lot of food, and very generously priced at $33. For sides (of which there were several options) we got a small side salad (no dressing provided, strangely) and an order of hummus. The kabobs were all very tasty and cooked with skill. The rice was excellent, particularly the brown rice. You'd be hard pressed to find better bread. The hummus was also good, and nicely accompanied by some EVOO, which it needed (that's not a criticism). Oh, and we got an order of baklava, 4 square pieces to an order, which may be the best I've ever had...so very fresh, I'd swear it was made only hours earlier. They have two types of tzaziki, white and green, with the green being the spicy version. Both were very heavy on the dill and the only thing I didn't care for, to be honest; it was too sweet. My wife came to enjoy the taste by the end of the meal, fwiw. 

They also appeared to have specials, like the Bolani mentioned above, but these items aren't listed on the website, so you'd have to call ahead and ask.

All in all the food was excellent, and we will be back!

• Like 3

On 1/7/2017 at 4:12 PM, Dr. Delicious said:

We went all in on a to go order last night, ordering a Combo 3, which was a ground chicken kabob, ground beef kabob (you may get lamb instead), steak kabob, and chicken kabob. The order comes in a huge foil container, and includes two types of rice (one is regular white with saffron and the other is brown with currant (?)). It also came with two sides and 3 pieces of naan. This was a lot of food, and very generously priced at $33. For sides (of which there were several options) we got a small side salad (no dressing provided, strangely) and an order of hummus. The kabobs were all very tasty and cooked with skill. The rice was excellent, particularly the brown rice. You'd be hard pressed to find better bread. The hummus was also good, and nicely accompanied by some EVOO, which it needed (that's not a criticism). Oh, and we got an order of baklava, 4 square pieces to an order, which may be the best I've ever had...so very fresh, I'd swear it was made only hours earlier. They have two types of tzaziki, white and green, with the green being the spicy version. Both were very heavy on the dill and the only thing I didn't care for, to be honest; it was too sweet. My wife came to enjoy the taste by the end of the meal, fwiw. 

They also appeared to have specials, like the Bolani mentioned above, but these items aren't listed on the website, so you'd have to call ahead and ask.

All in all the food was excellent, and we will be back!

Hi Dr. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. On your next visit please ask us for a sampling of our veggies. If you enjoyed the hummus may I suggest the chickpeas and the spinach goes wonderfully with the brown rice :) I do apologize about the dressing, our "white sauce" is what we use as our salad dressing, we do have oil and vinegar upon request as well. Looking forward to serving you again soon!

• Like 1

This arrived in my mailbox.  Be sure to mention Yorktown Theatre so they get credit, if you are so inclined.  Good food.  Good cause.

86d14546-a713-4962-ba3c-c24fa98c6023.jpg
Come get a takeout meal at Arlington Kabob this Wednesday, February 15 and support Yorktown Theatre. Any purchase made all day is part of the deal. Perfect for after work or rehearsal!
  • Like 1

Adding my name to list of devoted fans of Arlington Kabob. Great staff, fresh food. That bolani though...it's killer, def my favorite thing on offer. One of the employees (owner?) suggested reheating in a skillet with a fried egg on top for breakfast next day. Yup, that just about did it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a belated review, so apologies for the lack of details, but as I've been to Arlington Kabob several times now and enjoyed it, thought it was worth writing up at least a short note. I really like this place and the folks there are very nice. I think Ravi Kabob is a tad better (admittedly that's a very high bar, so no shame in that), but Arlington Kabob is much easier to get to and park and a bit less crazy inside.

Kabob-wise, believe I've had the chaplee kabob and the lamb kabob - the first being excellent and the second just the slightest bit dry, but still good. Beyond that, I enjoyed the Qabli Palaw which I remember being a sizeable lamb shank for the price. I also tried (inspired spur of the moment by this thread I believe a while back) the steak and cheese, which was good quality, but I got it to go and by the time I got it home it had gotten fairly soggy from both the juice from the meat and the mayonnaise (the one part I could have done without). On me for not thinking that one through, but the ingredients and meat were all very good and I still enjoyed it even as a soggy mess - believe it would have been excellent if I had eaten it there.

Overall - a very good option in north Arlington and one I'm glad is in the area.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2017 at 3:59 PM, arldiner said:

Overall - a very good option in north Arlington and one I'm glad is in the area.

Hey arldiner! I'm thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to come visit. We do love Ravi kabob as well, they are a great Pakistani restaurant that does use slightly different spices than our Afghani background. I'm sorry to hear that the steak and cheese was not up to your satisfaction. I agree it does tend to get sopped up by the juice from the meat if taken "to-go" we're working for a solution for packaging this better :)  I'm happy to hear you did enjoy some of the other items! Hope to see you again soon!

• Like 4

On 7/10/2017 at 4:26 PM, saxdrop said:

Adding my name to list of devoted fans of Arlington Kabob. Great staff, fresh food. That bolani though...it's killer, def my favorite thing on offer. One of the employees (owner?) suggested reheating in a skillet with a fried egg on top for breakfast next day. Yup, that just about did it.

Hey saxdrop! I believe that would have been me :) It's my favorite versatile meal that can go from appetizer, breakfast, lunch..pretty much whatever you want. (My latest creation was using up some leftover chicken chorizo and cheese inside of the bolani for a "quesadilla" :P Man it was good! 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, arlingtonkabob said:

Hello,

Bumping up this thread to share another sponsorship for Yorktown High School Band and Theater programs. Please feel free to share this on your social media.

Thank you very much and hope to see some of you there to support a great event!

Yorktown Band Theatre 2018.jpg

And a reminder that Arlington Kabob has one of the best steak-and-cheese sandwiches in town, untraditionally (but wonderfully) served on freshly baked naan. I understand that raving about a steak-and-cheese here is bordering on heresy, when they have so much else to offer, but it's really good! And for a carryout lunch it's even better.

• Like 1

We've gotten their combo platters several times since my original post back in January, and continue to love the food. The kabobs and rice are still great, and their tzaziki, which i originally didn't care for, has grown on me. Also, underappreciated by me, until now, are their side dishes, particularly the tabouli, chick pea, and potato dishes they serve. They're really tasty, and not just after-thoughts.

The best part of this place, however, are the people and the service they provide. So kind, so accommodating. Always willing to give extra sauces free of charge, even when offering to pay for them. Oh, and last time, we miscommunicated on my order, and so they gave me a free kabob, and even though i said over and over again that i would pay for it because i'd happily eat it for lunch the next day, they wouldn't let me (I tried to make up for it by tipping appropriately). 

Anyway, you'd be hard pressed to find a place with a better combination of great food and great service.

• Like 3

On 12/20/2017 at 10:55 PM, DonRocks said:

And a reminder that Arlington Kabob has one of the best steak-and-cheese sandwiches in town, untraditionally (but wonderfully) served on freshly baked naan. I understand that raving about a steak-and-cheese here is bordering on heresy, when they have so much else to offer, but it's really good! And for a carryout lunch it's even better.

I'm happy to hear you enjoy the steak and cheese. I remember to nix the mayo and add extra green sauce for the next time you order ;) 

23 hours ago, Dr. Delicious said:

We've gotten their combo platters several times since my original post back in January, and continue to love the food. The kabobs and rice are still great, and their tzaziki, which i originally didn't care for, has grown on me. Also, underappreciated by me, until now, are their side dishes, particularly the tabouli, chick pea, and potato dishes they serve. They're really tasty, and not just after-thoughts.

The best part of this place, however, are the people and the service they provide. So kind, so accommodating. Always willing to give extra sauces free of charge, even when offering to pay for them. Oh, and last time, we miscommunicated on my order, and so they gave me a free kabob, and even though i said over and over again that i would pay for it because i'd happily eat it for lunch the next day, they wouldn't let me (I tried to make up for it by tipping appropriately). 

Anyway, you'd be hard pressed to find a place with a better combination of great food and great service.

I thank you for your continued business and kind words. I stick firm to the belief treat others how you would want to be treated..simple as that. I do remember your order and apologize again about the miscommunication. If we goof up on your order that's totally our responsibility to fix the situation which I'm happy to hear from this post that we did :) 

Have a wonderful and happy holiday!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cheezepowder said:

This is interesting - I was right there last Tuesday afternoon, and it looked very crowded. 

Congratulations to Sophia, with our continued thanks for being a member here.

Continued gratitude to the great cheezepowder for all the work they've done here.

To our readers: Don't forget how good cheesesteaks can be when wrapped in tandoor-fresh naan.

• Like 3

I went to the old location today- and Wow, just Wow!! I wanted to try a bit of bread, which meant not eating rice for my WW points to be even somewhat ok, so that I could eat pizza tonight with other people at a party.  So they made me a plate with chicken kabob, veggie kabob, chickpeas, a potato side and spinach- and were not at all judgey about it, it wasn't a problem, that was really nice.  Everything was really good!  The sides aren't cooked with dairy, so I didn't have to worry about that.  Even just the simple spinach was really flavorful.  I didn't leave any chickpeas for leftovers, they were too good. The staff was really nice. This would be a great place to go fully vegetarian this way.  But the chicken was good, I know want to try a lot of other parts of the menu. I took about half home with me as a leftover. Anyway, so good, I am glad I finally stopped by.  I had meant to before, it's just hard because that corridor has a lot of my old favorites- Lebanese Taverna Market, Caribbean Grill, Taq Poblano (my favorite location), etc, etc. But this is so good, I need to try out lots more of the menu!

• Like 4

On 11/10/2019 at 3:49 PM, DonRocks said:

This is interesting - I was right there last Tuesday afternoon, and it looked very crowded. 

Congratulations to Sophia, with our continued thanks for being a member here.

Continued gratitude to the great cheezepowder for all the work they've done here.

To our readers: Don't forget how good cheesesteaks can be when wrapped in tandoor-fresh naan.

Don! 

Happy new year and thank you so much, I hope all has been well with you! Also, a thank you to cheezepowder for forwarding our exciting new info. We are thrilled to have 2 locations. To share a bit of info, the courthouse location has more seating (close to 50 to be exact) we do offer the same menu as our original Lee highway location but have added weekday lunch specials, vegetarian samosas and a couple more vegan veggie sides that we are unable to do at our smaller lee highway kitchen :)

You can check us out at www.courthousekabob.com or feel free to email me directly with any questions ! courthousekabob@gmail.com 

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

On 11/16/2019 at 9:43 PM, ktmoomau said:

I went to the old location today- and Wow, just Wow!! I wanted to try a bit of bread, which meant not eating rice for my WW points to be even somewhat ok, so that I could eat pizza tonight with other people at a party.  So they made me a plate with chicken kabob, veggie kabob, chickpeas, a potato side and spinach- and were not at all judgey about it, it wasn't a problem, that was really nice.  Everything was really good!  The sides aren't cooked with dairy, so I didn't have to worry about that.  Even just the simple spinach was really flavorful.  I didn't leave any chickpeas for leftovers, they were too good. The staff was really nice. This would be a great place to go fully vegetarian this way.  But the chicken was good, I know want to try a lot of other parts of the menu. I took about half home with me as a leftover. Anyway, so good, I am glad I finally stopped by.  I had meant to before, it's just hard because that corridor has a lot of my old favorites- Lebanese Taverna Market, Caribbean Grill, Taq Poblano (my favorite location), etc, etc. But this is so good, I need to try out lots more of the menu!

Hey Ktmoomau! 

We are happy you found us! I love the in depth details about the experience you had. (A little secret, our bread is only 3 ounces! The way it expands in our clay oven makes it seem larger than it really is..and IT'S VEGAN ;) We do offer a veggie platter that has all of our cooked vegetables over rice and comes with bread. Please know that we cater to all dietary needs and can gladly swap out any carbs for more veggies. If you get a chance, come by our Courthouse location, the eggplant stew that is prepared there is AMAZING!

I thank you for checking us out and look forward to serving you in the near future.  

• Like 1

Kabobs for four today from the Lee Hwy location were excellent. The green sauce bright and tangy, all meats charred and smoky, naan warm and crusty.  All the textures and flavors we needed to break up the monotony of our increased home cooking.  Everything about this place is suited to the moment--local biz serving comforting food that also travels well.    

• Like 2