Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Lancaster Restaurant Week is to taking place from February 26th thru March 2nd. A few citizens  of York, also known as the White Rose city, has expressed a bit of shade in that it runs  parallel to theirs. I mean, seriously, there are enough opportunities to dine in either Lancaster City, the Red Rose city, over the week. Just map out where you will eat, like the rest of us do. The distance between the regions is comparable to Falls Church , and Georgetown. Completely doable. 

War of the Roses, 

kat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Philly food critic  has given his blessing to  Lancaster. Perhaps now, more people will venture to this agriculture rich city that provides an abundance of resources to not only restaurants directly here , but in larger metropolis like Philly, & NYC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

What's a good place for interesting Saturday lunch/brunch in Lancaster?

I would reccommend Barbaret Bistro on King St. The Chef served a few years at the renouned Le Bec Fin. It’s truly extraordinary to have a classically trained French chef in Lancaster, and we are fortunate to have him.

For something unusual, I also recommend this Trinidadian spot. It usually is only open for dinner, but have revised their hours for the summer. 

I hope you have some time to factor in a visit to the Lancaster Central Market as well. A stroll through this building houses the finest of goods Lancaster has to offer. 

If there is something in particular you are interested in, let me know. Happy to help!

More than Amish,

kat

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

What's a good place for interesting Saturday lunch/brunch in Lancaster?

I may also add, a trip to Lancaster is not complete without stopping in at this coffee nook. I love coffee, and the folks at Passenger make it their job to love it too without sounding rehearsed. They are well versed in all their offerings in both coffee and tea. I don't think I have been to a store front quite like the Passenger. It is conveniently located right across from the Lancaster Central Market. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our first stop in Lancaster was the Central Market.  It's been years since I went but it was just as crowded.  The narrow aisles and loads of people made going thru the market a fun but hectic experience.  Back outside, we went to Bistro Barbaret for lunch.

We started with the quenelle de brochet - something I fully expect the kids to spit out.  I wasn't even sure I would like it.  I haven't had it since I ordered it at La Chaumiere (in G'town DC) over 15 years ago.  The version at Barbaret is made with fish and scallop, topped with Gruyere cheese.  We dutifully ate the whole dish but no one was jumping for joy.  The texture is very soft and the flavor is just slightly fishy.  

That was followed by a nice but very small veal schnitzel.   It might've been the smallest piece of veal schnitzel I've seen, at 2" x 4", and maybe 1/4" tall.  We ordered a side of fries - which were good - thin and crispy (but not double fried).

For dinner and breakfast the next day, we ate at Hershey Farm (and spent the night there too!).  The prime rib (special for Sat. night) was actually quite tender and flavorful.  The fried chicken were super crispy, as were the fried shrimp.  Surprisingly, there were almost no veggies (other than the salad bar) - I saw some boiled green beans and corn on the cob.  All I can say is there's no going back to Hershey Farm.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2018 at 8:37 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Our first stop in Lancaster was the Central Market.  It's been years since I went but it was just as crowded.  The narrow aisles and loads of people made going thru the market a fun but hectic experience.  Back outside, we went to Bistro Barbaret for lunch.

We started with the quenelle de brochet - something I fully expect the kids to spit out.  I wasn't even sure I would like it.  I haven't had it since I ordered it at La Chaumiere (in G'town DC) over 15 years ago.  The version at Barbaret is made with fish and scallop, topped with Gruyere cheese.  We dutifully ate the whole dish but no one was jumping for joy.  The texture is very soft and the flavor is just slightly fishy.  

That was followed by a nice but very small veal schnitzel.   It might've been the smallest piece of veal schnitzel I've seen, at 2" x 4", and maybe 1/4" tall.  We ordered a side of fries - which were good - thin and crispy (but not double fried).

For dinner and breakfast the next day, we ate at Hershey Farm (and spent the night there too!).  The prime rib (special for Sat. night) was actually quite tender and flavorful.  The fried chicken were super crispy, as were the fried shrimp.  Surprisingly, there were almost no veggies (other than the salad bar) - I saw some boiled green beans and corn on the cob.  All I can say is there's no going back to Hershey Farm.

 

I have read your review of the spots you visited during your visit to Lancaster. I admit I am disappointed to learn that it was less than stellar. I have expressed in previous threads about dining in York as well as Lancaster, some hits, others not so much. My intent in writing about spots in this area is so that members in this forum take a chance to visit the area. Looks like I need to seek out more spots, with more frequency and more range. I tend to go to the same spot, or I should say spot. I need to broaden my dining spectrum and venture out to more places.

With this all being said, I do admit no dining establishment as of yet, has met or have been comparable to restaurants in the DMV. I often scratch my head on this cause the bounty of ingredients to build a menu are plentiful, and delicious. The search for good cuisine continues...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love going to Lancaster with the family. It's a great, easy, fairly cheap weekend away. We do not, however, go for the food. On my way home last time, I did remember thinking that I wish they had a farm to table place that just made a mixed salad, roasted some corn, and grilled a burger. (all that stuff was in my line of sight when I thought the thought.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 1:01 PM, NolaCaine said:

I love going to Lancaster with the family. It's a great, easy, fairly cheap weekend away. We do not, however, go for the food. On my way home last time, I did remember thinking that I wish they had a farm to table place that just made a mixed salad, roasted some corn, and grilled a burger. (all that stuff was in my line of sight when I thought the thought.)

Thank you for your feedback about Lancaster, Pa.

Since I have moved back to the area, it has changed tremendously. I reside in York, west of the Lancaster over the bridge, but spend a better part of my time in Lancaster.  There are so many nooks and crannies to explore that include  art, science, music, performance art, vintage shops, indie movies, farmers stands, breweries and so much more. In just the last 5 years , the dining scene has flourished to include cuisines ranging from Trinidadian, to Ethiopian to Vietnamese. This perhaps as a direct result from Lancaster being America's refugee capital. I realize most travel to Lancaster to immerse themselves in the Amish experience, and I am not suggesting otherwise. I guess what I am saying for those reading this post consider Lancaster, Pa  possibly on any day besides Sunday or Monday so you make it to the Horse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went up to Lancaster a couple weeks ago for the obligatory trip to Dutch Wonderland. The park is great fun for little kids (after age 6 or so, it may not be as exciting as other parks, however). A decent sized park with a variety of rides to entertain and thrill the kids. Food was nothing special there.

Since we got into Lancaster the evening before, we did dine on the patio at Luca. We very much enjoyed our meal there. One kid had pizza, which was good and large enough to fill up a three year old's stomach. The other had pasta and enjoyed that.

My wife and I split an order of their squash blossoms, which were very good with a part goat cheese filling. We also split orders of their little gem salad (a Caesar style salad) and a delicious local peach and prosciutto dish with chilis. For our entrees, I had a pasta dish with ricotta stuffed ravioli. My wife had a very tasty gnocchi with local corn, prosciutto, peppers, and black truffle.

Service was great, despite being on the patio. Although we ate early, the restaurant and patio got busier as the night went on.

I would recommend this place if you're in the area and looking for a good, comfortable dinner with very good food.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×