Keystroke-Stealing Malware - Is It On Your Computer?

DonRocks

4 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

No, you are right.  They say they make their food from scratch each morning at each location and don't have a central commissary- how much they are ordering that comes pre-done from other places like sysco, etc. who knows. BUT as a positive- when I am in their locations waiting to pick up food I see them actually making food, not just assembling food- and to me that is a big positive.  It means things are fresh. From a personal note, I rather employ people than robots, and from a food safety perspective- I just don't love the big food commissary system.  It's one reason I really like going there, despite the big onion chunks in my soup.  But I go there a fair amount between the location by my work and house- so they might hear about my big onion complaint.

It's *very* creepy that this just showed up on my Facebook feed - it means something is reading my keystrokes because I did not type "central commissary" or "onions" anywhere else but in this thread (and I assure people that this website is not guilty - something is on my computer).

2 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

It's *very* creepy that this just showed up on my Facebook feed - it means something is reading my keystrokes.

Robots are everywhere man... between reading your conversations, stealing your jobs, calling you, making your pizzas, advertising to you...  I need to post my new car on facebook so they stop showing me ads for the car I bought and can show me ads for other things I need!?!  I am becoming a cantankerous person. I understand there are benefits to being on the grid, but I think I was born just a tiny bit too soon to really be completely on board with the whole new digital world as we know it. 

On 1/13/2017 at 3:23 PM, DonRocks said:

It's *very* creepy that this just showed up on my Facebook feed - it means something is reading my keystrokes because I did not type "central commissary" or "onions" anywhere else but in this thread (and I assure people that this website is not guilty - something is on my computer).

Are you fucking kidding me?

Screenshot 2017-01-16 at 10.56.44.png

You know, all I can do is promise people: It ain't us - Facebook is monitoring my keystrokes.

How can this possibly be legal? How is this any different than recording a phone call (or a conversation) between two people without them knowing about it? Facebook - or somebody - is literally coming into my bedroom and monitoring what I do. Yeah, well, thank goodness I don't do anything wrong, but I'll bet others wouldn't feel so comfortable.

I give you my word that I would *never* engage in this type of Orwellian behavior - this is 1984, and if I ever find out what this is, I'll pursue it with every ounce of energy I have left.

Don't think this isn't happening to you.

I used Malwarebytes to identify and remove some junk on my wife's laptop. (I think it started when she downloaded a fake/hijacked adobe flash program) Regardless, it worked like a champ.

I'm pretty sure Facebook can access your browser cookies, but I'm skeptical they use a keystroke logger.

1 hour ago, reedm said:

I used Malwarebytes to identify and remove some junk on my wife's laptop. (I think it started when she downloaded a fake/hijacked adobe flash program) Regardless, it worked like a champ.

I'm pretty sure Facebook can access your browser cookies, but I'm skeptical they use a keystroke logger.

If Facebook was caught using a keystroke logger, it would be devastating - that's why this doesn't make any sense to me: They have too much to lose.

I'll give Malwarebytes a look - thanks!

Chromebook doesn't have a hard disk (which *seems* disadvantageous in terms of files, but isn't - it has a *lot* of memory storage, and anything that I wouldn't want to lose, I store in the cloud). Plus they're like 25% as expensive as MacBooks, so I can now laugh at liquid spills which used to be thousand-dollar mishaps.

---

Nuts, Malwarebytes isn't compatible with Chromebook.

On 1/16/2017 at 10:59 AM, DonRocks said:

Are you fucking kidding me?

Screenshot 2017-01-16 at 10.56.44.png

You know, all I can do is promise people: It ain't us - Facebook is monitoring my keystrokes.

How can this possibly be legal? How is this any different than recording a phone call (or a conversation) between two people without them knowing about it? Facebook - or somebody - is literally coming into my bedroom and monitoring what I do. Yeah, well, thank goodness I don't do anything wrong, but I'll bet others wouldn't feel so comfortable.

I give you my word that I would *never* engage in this type of Orwellian behavior - this is 1984, and if I ever find out what this is, I'll pursue it with every ounce of energy I have left.

Don't think this isn't happening to you.

Oh, you didn't know about that?

Jun 30, 2016 - "Facebook is Now Free To Track Users' Internet Activity ...." on reddit.com

Jun 30, 2016 - "Belgian Citizens Lose Right Not To Be Tracked by Facebook" by Lauren C. Williams on thinkprogress.com

By logging onto FB, you gave them consent and signify that you agree to their terms of service.  There are ways you can circumvent the trackers, at least until the next time Facebook figures out a way to block those too. 

On 1/17/2017 at 3:42 PM, TrelayneNYC said:

Oh, you didn't know about that?

Jun 30, 2016 - "Facebook is Now Free To Track Users' Internet Activity ...." on reddit.com

Jun 30, 2016 - "Belgian Citizens Lose Right Not To Be Tracked by Facebook" by Lauren C. Williams on thinkprogress.com

By logging onto FB, you gave them consent and signify that you agree to their terms of service.  There are ways you can circumvent the trackers, at least until the next time Facebook figures out a way to block those too. 

I don't think it's Facebook - there's some type of malware on my computer.

Look at this Chicken ShitScreenshot 2017-01-30 at 12.17.57.png

Did you use google to search for info the ice cream and hotel, or go to their websites? 

I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but you have to opt out of interested based advertising. You can do that through your browser as well as through the websites accessed through the little arrow on the ads themselves. 

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

I don't think it's Facebook - there's some type of malware on my computer.

Look at this Chicken ShitScreenshot 2017-01-30 at 12.17.57.png

There is an advertising methodology on the web called remarketing.  Among the many firms that use it are google and facebook.  You visit a website for a product or service and the site places a "cookie" on your computer.  Roughly it means that anywhere you go where there are  sites that have room for remarketing or display ads they may show an ad for that site you visited.   The advertisers can establish certain parameters.  A slight parameter might be that you visited the product site for all of a couple of seconds.  A more moderated approach from the advertiser might be that you had to have visited two or more pages or one particular page or been on the initial site for a certain length of time;   In either case when you visit other sites that carry spaces for ads...the ads for that page will pop up.

I'm both a searcher and an advertiser.  I find remarketing to be a pain in the ass as a consumer.  I'll visit some website and then I see their damn ads again and again in hundreds of places.  It makes me sick.  As an advertiser we've used it on one of our websites for one of our services in another region.  Our return has been minimal.  So not only do I personally not like it, but so far it's not worth the effort.  (OTOH--I know web experts and marketers that love it--but we aren't speaking of the advertisers' perspective here).

A while ago I ran into some freaking obtrusive remarketing from an unnamed restaurant and hotel  in the DC area.  I freaking saw there ads everywhere all the time.  It was annoying.  There are ways to block this stuff.  I haven't really bothered to investigate it.   

You probably don't have  malware...its because of google's or FB's terms of service that are written in a way wherein when you accept their TOS you accept this annoyance.   You can look into ad blocking services to prevent this PITA.