Jump to content
Erik Ox

Looking for a Version of Corduroy near Penn Station

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Quick trip to NYC just came up for tomorrow.  Looking for something like Corduroy - quiet enough for a decent work conversation, excellent food, but not Per Se pricing as I have to pick up the tab for 5 of us.  Ideally, this place is a quick walk from Penn Station. I love going to Ma Peche, but it's a bit too far, and they can't take 5 people til later in the evening.

Any advice appreciated!  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It probably isn't as close as you want to Penn Station, but I was surprised at how much I liked Bar Americain. Also, this is even further (up by Carnegie Hall), but I was blown away by my lunch at Barbuto last year - expensive, and worth every penny: A Top 10 Meal of 2016 for me (it's better than Corduroy).

You're talking about 5-10 extra minutes in a cab. I used to live at 31st and 7th, and could never find anywhere that was more than "good" in that area - if you can find a place, it would be doing the world an enormous service if you'll share it with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm trying to get the quiet vibe of Corduory, as much as anything else. I think I've been to Bar Americain before, and that's not how I remember it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Erik Ox said:

So I'm trying to get the quiet vibe of Corduory, as much as anything else. I think I've been to Bar Americain before, and that's not how I remember it. 

You're right - Bar American is more like a Le Diplomate in atmosphere (Barbuto, for whatever it's worth, is more Corduroy-like). I've had a history of problems finding good dining near Madison Square Garden, which is one reason why I'm taking a personal interest in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Esca at 9th and 42nd or 43rd might work.  Pastas are ~$30, Meat entrees are a bit more than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Erik Ox said:

So I'm trying to get the quiet vibe of Corduory, as much as anything else. I think I've been to Bar Americain before, and that's not how I remember it. 

We loved our experience at Bar Americain, but it is very LOUD.  Not what you described that you needed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always enjoyed Almond in Flatiron which is walkable for most from Penn Station.  Nothing fancy, just some well executed fare, slightly French-leaning, with a raw bar kicker.  A little something for everyone.  Owned by Jason Weiner (brother of Anthony Weiner).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all.  I'll have to check out Almond next time I'm in town, that might have done the trick. 

The party kept growing, up to 6 ppl, and we ended up at Ma Peche.  It seems like I've been to the city twice a year for the past 5 years, and at least 6 of those times, after looking all around for a new place to try, I just say f it, and let's go to a place where I know the food is excellent and I can get a reservation (turns out that when I called, changing from 3 to 4 to 6 people wasn't a problem).  I hope to make better use of the guide and you guys for the next trip.

Highlights from last night include the ever-awesome duck and habanero fried chicken.  More in to follow in the proper thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2017 at 1:49 PM, Erik Ox said:

Thanks all.  I'll have to check out Almond next time I'm in town, that might have done the trick. 

The party kept growing, up to 6 ppl, and we ended up at Ma Peche.  It seems like I've been to the city twice a year for the past 5 years, and at least 6 of those times, after looking all around for a new place to try, I just say f it, and let's go to a place where I know the food is excellent and I can get a reservation (turns out that when I called, changing from 3 to 4 to 6 people wasn't a problem).  I hope to make better use of the guide and you guys for the next trip.

Highlights from last night include the ever-awesome duck and habanero fried chicken.  More in to follow in the proper thread.

I'm certain this isn't Corduroy-level, but it is within walking distance of Penn Station: Have you thought about Trattoria Bianca? The chef has at least worked for some pretty strong restaurants in France, and since it's in the New Yorker Hotel (a Wyndham property), it should be reasonably quiet. Note, however, that it doesn't have great reviews online. If anyone thinks of something great near Penn Station, I'm very interested in what you have to say, as I have come up empty over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2017 at 1:32 AM, DonRocks said:

Also, this is even further (up by Carnegie Hall), but I was blown away by my lunch at Barbuto last year - expensive, and worth every penny: A Top 10 Meal of 2016 for me (it's better than Corduroy).

I bet you mean Jams (Waxman's below Central Park location). Barbuto is south of Penn Station on the west side down near the Whitney Museum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SRJ said:

I bet you mean Jams (Waxman's below Central Park location). Barbuto is south of Penn Station on the west side down near the Whitney Museum.

My goodness - I'm both glad and grieving that you posted this: I meant Betony, which is now permanently closed, and I didn't even know that. It was the best lunch I had in 2016, and one of the Top 10 meals I had all year as well. Man, I almost wish I didn't know this.

I still have my menu, and I'm going to find it and post it out of respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×