Jacques Gastreaux

Central, 11th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue Downtown - Chef David Deshaies Replaces Jason Maddens

This year's Unhelpful Pronunciation Aid Award goes to the "The List," which indicated in its July 24, 2006 edition that "Central" in the restaurant's name is "pronounced SEN-TRAL."

Uh, thanks.

This year's Unhelpful Pronunciation Aid Award goes to the "The List," which indicated in its July 24, 2006 edition that "Central" in the restaurant's name is "pronounced SEN-TRAL."

Uh, thanks.

No, it's more like "Sahn-trall".

No, it's more like "Sahn-trall".

No, it's more like <<Sans Tralala>>.

God I amuse myself endlessly.

Well I guess all bets are off in terms of "giving a place time to work out the kinks."

The rules of the game have changed, my friends.

Rocks.

Well I guess all bets are off in terms of "giving a place time to work out the kinks."

The rules of the game have changed, my friends.

Rocks.

So this weeks Post review from TS is going to be Central? :P

Reservations available tonight.

Hmmnn... go home, do laundry, pack, etc. so I can leave at the crack of dawn to drive to NY and have lunch at L'Impero or stay in town and try Michel's new place???

And why doesn't my husband return my calls when I get crazy ideas like this?

I can't wait to hear feedback because I just decided to make reservations for the 27th. My birthday is on the 28th and I have been looking for a not-too-expensive place to go with a group of friends. I hope this fits the bill.

And why doesn't my husband return my calls when I get crazy ideas like this?

1) He knows that you are pregnant and doesn't quite get the hormonal problems; and 2) he also realizes that this place is going to be around long after you guys will need a babysitter. :lol:

Is it open for lunch yet? What about weekend hours? (I'm sure this info is on their OpenTable listing, but I don't trust OpenTable listings)?

Bozipy?

Anyone know if eating at the bar is possible here?
Eating at the bar is both possible and wonderful - a great layout for dining alone. There is a huge mirror above the very long bar so you can watch everyone in the restaurant from your stool. Only two layout complaints: No backs on the stools or hooks under the bar.

I tried the tuna carpaccio, and it was great. Delicate and perfectly balanced. I also really enjoyed the Maple Manhattan - neither too strong nor too sweet. The bar snacks too - covered peanuts - were also really good. There were two types, one with sesame seeds and one with wasabi. Don, who I ran into there, discovered that they were actually best when eaten together.

I will be returning very soon.

(this opening does not help my vow to eat at home all week in respect for RW)

Very soon indeed ... :lol:

Seems like the perfect place for a Thursday night whim...

Eating at the bar is both possible and wonderful - a great layout for dining alone. There is a huge mirror above the very long bar so you can watch everyone in the restaurant from your stool. Only two layout complaints: No backs on the stools or hooks under the bar.

I tried the tuna carpaccio, and it was great. Delicate and perfectly balanced. I also really enjoyed the Maple Manhattan - neither too strong nor too sweet. The bar snacks too - covered peanuts - were also really good. There were two types, one with sesame seeds and one with wasabi. Don, who I ran into there, discovered that they were actually best when eaten together.

I will be returning very soon.

(this opening does not help my vow to eat at home all week in respect for RW)

This sounds great. I've been a single parent for a few days now, but Friday evening my ordeal is over and I know where I'm heading after work to celebrate! (Think it'll be crowded?)

This sounds great. I've been a single parent for a few days now, but Friday evening my ordeal is over and I know where I'm heading after work to celebrate! (Think it'll be crowded?)
I just cancelled RW reservations at Farrah for Friday and took reservations at Central at 9 p.m. instead. The earliest reservations on Open Table for Central were at 9! So I bet it will be crowded :-)

I just cancelled RW reservations at Farrah for Friday and took reservations at Central at 9 p.m. instead. The earliest reservations on Open Table for Central were at 9! So I bet it will be crowded :-)

Central is not doing RW, correct?

Central is not doing RW, correct?
No, they aren't but as my friends said when I asked if we could forgo Farrah... it is too easy to not follow the RW at places so that you end up spending $50+ a person anyway. Why not go to Central where we will have good food and a good experience. Plus, I hear they have killer fried chicken :lol:

Any word on what the menu is like? The website is not up yet. Also, is there a separate bar menu?

Had dinner last night at the bar, and I love the space. The prices are very reasonable and the food was pretty good. Here is some of what we enjoyed last night:

Gougeres

Lobster Burger- A little different from what I remember from Citronelle, but still very good

Onion and Bacon Tart (free from the kitchen due food taken longer than usual to come out)-Excellent

Fried Chicken- Good, but I wish I had orderd the salmon with lentils-

French Fries- very good

Macaroni & Cheese-

Apple Pan Betty-

Fischer d' Alsace- Very good beer, went well with the bacon tart

Other Items I saw on the Menu:

Short Ribs

Salmon with lentils

Cote de Boeuf for Two $78

Roast Chicken

Lemon Tart

The menu is only on page long. I am not sure if there is a different bar menu, as we ordered off the main dinner menu. The waiter told us that they would be opening for lunch next week.

I have only sat at the bar, but the menu that I have seen looks like a regular menu (and seems to be the same as that described by friends who ate at a table).

Many of the appetizers, however, are a little bit more like bar food than actual appetizers - better for sharing than as a personal appetizer. For example, the cheese puffs are served in a cone containing about 10 puffs (excellent - picture a much smaller version of the BLT popover that includes only the rich doughy part). There is a smoked salmon plate that seems to be the same as that served at the lounge at Citronelle - quite a lot of salmon if someone intended to eat it alone. The prosciutto plate is similar. The charcuterie includes a variety of items, including the faux gras, which is a made with chicken livers with a parsley topping (too thick to really call a sauce). The onion tart appears to be more of a flatbread than I expected. Central's fried oysters are really a new take: raw oysters with a porcupine crust (the oysters are frozen to prevent cooking during the frying process. Although I appreciate the preparation, I don't know if I will order again. The fried oysters, risotto, and tuna carpaccio are the only appetizers that I have seen that are traditional appetizers instead of snacks (and even those are easily shared).

Interesting drink list as well: In addition to the Maple Manhattan that I mentioned yesterday, there is also a mai tai that is really good, a clear cosmo, a mojito that I haven't tried, and a few other drinks that sounded good (including a celery cocktail of which I have heard intriguing rumors, but have yet to try).

In sum, although I don't think that there is a separate bar menu, the menu provides ample options for happy hour snacking.

In general, I really think that they pegged what this location needs.

And, the best part, the prices are not bad at all. There are several appetizers under ten dollars, and the entrees are mostly between 18 and 22.

Are the "shrimp porcupines" that Don referenced in his Lettres on the menu? They sounded intriguing.

Are the "shrimp porcupines" that Don referenced in his Lettres on the menu? They sounded intriguing.
Not on the bar menu. Didn't see whether the bar menu was different from the dining room menu, but like lackadaisi, my sense is that it's the same.

Had an enjoyable meal at Central last night. The place was pretty busy when we arrived, but we were informed by other Rockwellians that it was even busier earlier. Getting service at the little tables in the bar was not successful so we got a table and reviewed the menu.

Started with the Onion Tart ($8) which was a thin, cracker-like disk covered with sweet caramelized onions. One entree was the Hanger Steak ($24) served with a small salad, fries, and an incredible peppercorn sauce. The steak was cooked to a perfect MR and had the rich meaty flavor that I enjoy in the hanger steak. The other entree was the the Grilled Salmon ($18) served atop lentils and the few bites that I tried were very good. The finish was perfect as we shared the Apple Pan Betty ($8) that came with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Total bill for dinner with 2 glasses of wine, 2 coffees, and one veggie side was $96 before tip. There is no doubt that we will be back.

And to correct an earlier post, the Cote de Boeuf for Two is $60, not $78. One thing that I found surprising was that 1 doz. freshly shucked oysters and 6 giant shrimp go for $56! :lol: You can add a whole lobster for an additional $30.