No, I didn't just watch this film; I watched it when it came out in 2006 - this is around the time when Sacha Baron Cohen was a household word ... I wonder how often you've heard his name recently.

I'm one of the least "politically correct" people you know - in fact, I despise political correctness. On the other hand, I despise stupidity and meanness even more, and this was about the stupidest, meanest film I have ever seen, post-1954.

First of all, do people realize that Kazakhstan is approximately the size of what we think of as Europe? This isn't including the ex-Soviet countries, Scandanavia, or the United Kingdom. Take a look at a map, and see just how large Kazakhstan is: It's the 9th-largest country in the world.

Up until I saw this movie, I thought Cohen was mildly amusing with his fake interviews; after I saw it, I never had the desire to see him again. I don't like the term, "mean-spirited," but "mean-spirited" is precisely what this movie was.

Am I imagining things, or did Cohen's career go downhill almost immediately after this film was finished raking in money from all the college kids who made it a quarter-of-a-billion dollars? Cohen played the ignorant American public for the uneducated fools that they are.

I hated this movie, and this movie made me strongly dislike Cohen. I'm very curious to know what other people think, and also what has happened with this embarrassment of a human being.

And if anyone points out that Cohen is worth $100 million, I'll reply by pointing out that Adam Sandler is worth $300 million.

On 2/7/2017 at 2:49 PM, Al Dente said:

I laughed until I could hardly breathe. Some of the scenes anyway.

The humor was often dark and uncomfortable, but what was "mean-spirited"? 

Cohen was good in Scorsese's "Hugo" as Inspector Gustave Dasté.

Mike, you're like me - there's no telling what type of puerile humor will set you off - I was (literally) doubled-over laughing at a couple scenes in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective."

I thought the family from Alabama, for example, was being genuinely nice to Borat, and he was being cruel to them.

Cohen was actually very good in "Sweeney Todd", too (remember, he was the "competitive barber").

I remember really liking "Hugo," but for some reason I just don't remember Cohen (I actually don't remember much about that film other than that I liked it).