LaMelo Ball, Younger Brother of UCLA's Lonzo Ball, Scores 92 Points in a Single High School Game

DonRocks

16 hours ago, DonRocks said:

He scored 41 points in the 4th quarter. :mellow:

Not mentioned in this article (but is in others), is an allegation from the opposing coach that Ball's teammates kept intentionally fouling in the second half to prevent the other team from running out the clock (even though Ball's team was well ahead). Thus artificially creating more possessions for Ball to have scoring chances. 

2 hours ago, silentbob said:

Not mentioned in this article (but is in others), is an allegation from the opposing coach that Ball's teammates kept intentionally fouling in the second half to prevent the other team from running out the clock (even though Ball's team was well ahead). Thus artificially creating more possessions for Ball to have scoring chances. 

Yes, this is a multi-faceted story:

"UCLA Bruins Commit LaMelo Ball, Brother of Lonzo, Scores 92 in High School Game" by Jeff Borzello on espn.com
"2019 Guard LaMelo Ball Scores 92 Points in Chino Hills Win" on si.com
"LaMelo Ball Didn't Get Back on Defense During Much of his Outrageous 92-Point Game" by Andrew Joseph on ftw.usatoday.com
"LaMelo Ball's 92-Point Performance Has Concluded, but the Conversation Goes On" by Eric Sondheimer on latimes.com

I agree with much of what Los Osos' coach, Dave Smith, has to say: This problem is largely societal. "The greatest-ever" college football teams are the ones who are not only undefeated national champions, but who also have the greatest margins of victory per game. I'm a firm believer in letting up (or even better, giving your reserves a chance to play) when you're blowing someone out - that doesn't make you a lesser team. The story is complicated somewhat by Ball dedicating the game to a very sick young girl. I know I've said this before, but I feel that the Buffalo Bills were the best NFL team in the early 1990s, despite losing 4 straight Super Bowls in 1991-1994. Being #2 doesn't exactly make you *bad* - how many people would like to be #2 in the world in *anything*, and quite frankly, I'm not sure they *were* #2 - no other team even made it to the Super Bowl more than twice in a row. I do not like our society's "winner-take-all" attitude. Pick your #2 tennis player in the world - think he's a failure?

This community has changed my attitude about Carmelo Anthony. I no longer think he's as valuable a player as I used to - I do think Anthony's rather unique contractual situation has painted him into a corner, so I cut him slack for that, but I agree that just because you drop 20 every year doesn't make you an all-time great.