shogun

Woo Lae Oak, Upscale Korean in Tysons Corner - Closed

Where is that?

Also, where's ToSokJip and/or HoneyPig?

To Sok Jib, 7211 Columbia Pike, Annandale, VA,

Like I said honey pig is across the stree from To sok Jib.

As for the korean chinese place it is across the street from K-mart closer to Jukebox diner.

Not sure why people (koreans) go to WLO in tysons. Once was enough for me. 0.5 mile away is song bird which is passable and I would pick song bird over WLO in tyson. Point being there is another option in tysons w/o driving to Annandale.

Myself, being Korean would pick WLO as my favorite Korean restaurant in DC metropolitan area. Foremost, I don't think that there are any Korean restaurants that serve the quality/grade of beef--which explains why they don't have to guise the quality by overpowering it with the marinade and msg. Second, pyong yang naeng myun is as close to authentic as you can get in the US (close comparsion to the the flagship WLO in Seoul) and third, they do not recycle their banchan. As for non-Kalbee/naemg myun dishes, it is probably best to go to "specialty" restaurants, for example, Vit Goel for sundubu, etc.

Myself, being Korean would pick WLO as my favorite Korean restaurant in DC metropolitan area. Foremost, I don't think that there are any Korean restaurants that serve the quality/grade of beef--which explains why they don't have to guise the quality by overpowering it with the marinade and msg. Second, pyong yang naeng myun is as close to authentic as you can get in the US (close comparsion to the the flagship WLO in Seoul) and third, they do not recycle their banchan. As for non-Kalbee/naemg myun dishes, it is probably best to go to "specialty" restaurants, for example, Vit Goel for sundubu, etc.

Note, the tysons WLO is different from WLO in Seoul, NY or crystal city.

I was there a few weeks ago, and one of the staff told me, 'You know why the bulgogi tastes good at Yechon?' Then he cupped his hand to his mouth, and whispered as if he were sharing a state secret... "MSG." ;)

Ummm... so who does recycle their banchan?

As it turned out, I need not have worried about what to order at Woo Lae Oak last week---my client did all the ordering and we ate family style. We had kalbi and jap chae. The kalbi was cut into cubes, which was the first time I've had it in cubes rather than slices. The upside was that it was nice and pink inside; the downside was that it didn't have as much of the bouncy texture I enjoy in most versions of this dish. The jap chae may have had the most deeply flavored noodles I've ever had in this dish; they had really soaked up some broth. I also liked the tiny slices of baby bok choy (or similar green, I'm not positive of my green skills), which were not overcooked.

I think there actually is a contender for quality of kalbi beef in the area. Soowon Galbi (14102 Lee Highway, Centreville,) has the most highly marbled pieces of kalbi I've ever seen. They grill on a wire screen and the fat just melts into the meat.

Good to know about the pyong yang naeng myun at WLO - had food there once many years ago and have not gone back since. This might be worth trying.

I would also give a nod to the bi bim naeng myun (spicy brothless noodles) at Choe's Garden in Fairfax as also pretty good.

All I can say is blecch! This place has fallen to mediocre food, indifferent service and astronomical prices. That's the triple witching of restaurants.

Tonight I had the Bibimbap, which is usually not tasteless. The sushi was credible but about three or four quality notches below PassionFish. A companion's soup dish of tofu, chicken and shrimp was declared so-so. The service decided that the half hour between when we wanted the check until when we received the check should be highlighted by a disappearing waiter and a decided effort to avoid eye contact.

My children used to enjoy the Pentagon City location about 20 years ago, because cooking at the table was a novelty and it was declared the favorite of the Korean Embassy by a few of the local periodicals. The place in Tysons truly sucks.

The sushi was credible but about three or four quality notches below PassionFish. A companion's soup dish of tofu, chicken and shrimp was declared so-so.

The place in Tysons truly sucks.

Why are you ordering sushi at Woo Lae Oak? What do you mean by 3 or 4 quality notches below Passionfish on the sushi? Please elaborate. What did your companion order (soup of tofu, chicken and shrimp, is it spicy, does it come with noodles, what is it)?

Why are you ordering sushi at Woo Lae Oak? What do you mean by 3 or 4 quality notches below Passionfish on the sushi? Please elaborate. What did your companion order (soup of tofu, chicken and shrimp, is it spicy, does it come with noodles, what is it)?

Korean sushi is ubiquitous in our area. Probably more common than Japanese sushi. Woo Lae Oak has its own sushi menu and sushi chefs. Had the dragon roll, one of the tempura rolls and a Tysons roll, but the mouthfeel, texture, flavor and quality were notches below PassionFish. For my money, PassionFish offers some of the best sushi in Fairfax County right now.

Companion had Daegoo Mae Un Tang, or codfish stew with assorted vegetables and tofu. She is Chinese, was looking for something authentically Korean, and came away thoroughly disappointed.

was looking for something authentically Korean, and came away thoroughly disappointed.
Free advice, albeit somewhat late...you'd have been better off picking any random Korean restaurant in Annandale (well possibly not Hang Gang :D). Once Woo Lae Oak decided to go Korean fusion, they lost all the street cred they had.

Free advice, albeit somewhat late...you'd have been better off picking any random Korean restaurant in Annandale (well possibly not Hang Gang :D). Once Woo Lae Oak decided to go Korean fusion, they lost all the street cred they had.

Amen!

One of the most venerable, DC-area Korean restaurants is no longer - HCA (Hospital Corporation of America) bought the property from "Paik-Song LLC" for $8.15 million. To the best of my knowledge, Kyung-Hee Paik was an owner (who also got tangled up in a Department of Labor lawsuit in 2017). 

Apr 3, 2020 - "Reston Hospital Center Buys Former Korean BBQ Restaurant, To Become Tysons ER" by Michael Neibauer on bizjournals.com

Although Woo Lae Oak issued a statement in this article saying they hope to reopen in the DMV ... with that kind of money in their pockets, I don't see why they would. 

I have very fond memories of this restaurant when it was in the RiverHouse apartments in Pentagon City (it was completely out of place there, and a wonderful escape from the everyday life of Washington, DC). They moved to Tysons in 2006 - the opening few posts in this thread discuss the transition from Pentagon City to Tysons Corner.

Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 18.02.54.png

• Like 1