"Letter from an Unknown Woman," 1948 American romance drama, directed by Max Ophuls, starring Joan Fontaine and Louis Jourdan, based on the novella of the same name by Stefan Zweig

DIShGo

A few years ago, a good friend with excellent taste in literature recommended I read Stefan Zweig, particularly the novella "The Royal Game." I found the book "The Royal Game and Other Stories," on Amazon, and while the translation is a little stiff and formal at times, I loved every story in the book. 

Two stories stood out in my mind above the others: "The Royal Game," and "Letter from an Unknown Woman." I found the latter particularly moving, and found myself thinking about the story long after I read it.

Two and a half years after reading the story,  I stumbled across the 1948 film "Letter from an Unknown Woman," directed by Max Ophuls and starring Joan Fontaine and Louis Jourdan. The movie is as bittersweet and heart-rending as the novella, but it never becomes sappy or melodramatic. It is a beautifully made film, and although the filmmakers made a few stylistic changes (the protagonist is a pianist in the film and a writer in the book, for example), the movie stays true to the spirit of Zweig's poignant story.

I highly recommend "Letter from an Unknown Woman." The novella is one of the best I have read, and the film is among the finest I have seen.