Charles Tsui

Tiger Fork, Chef Irvin Van Oordt's Hong Kong-Style Cuisine in Blagden Alley

I was in NJ visiting my bro, who lives about 40 miles west of NYC.  The local Chinese restaurant scene changes constantly, just like here.  We went to the most well known  Cantonese restaurant that advertises many seafood dishes and ordered a Typhoon Shelter Crab and it came out all wrong.  It was breaded and deep fried!  The crab wasn't cracked and the meat had no seasoning.  The waiter proudly proclaimed it was 2.7 lbs, meaning it's a big shitty expensive crab.  I want just one good Cantonese seafood joint!  I think I have to go to Toronto for decent Chinese seafood.

On 9/4/2017 at 11:14 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

I was in NJ visiting my bro, who lives about 40 miles west of NYC.  The local Chinese restaurant scene changes constantly, just like here.  We went to the most well known  Cantonese restaurant that advertises many seafood dishes and ordered a Typhoon Shelter Crab and it came out all wrong.  It was breaded and deep fried!  The crab wasn't cracked and the meat had no seasoning.  The waiter proudly proclaimed it was 2.7 lbs, meaning it's a big shitty expensive crab.  I want just one good Cantonese seafood joint!  I think I have to go to Toronto for decent Chinese seafood.

Or Vancouver.

• Like 1

Went to Tiger Fork this weekend. Surprised how quickly it filled up so early (we were there at 5:30). It gets noisy. The communal tables have lousy bench seating. But the cocktails were delicious, the wines generally well priced and the food, overall quite good (though I think they took liberties on the spiciness of the food - Cantonese is typically pretty mild, this was not super spicy but some of the dishes were spicier than I expected).

Overall, quite a nice meal. Pictures coming soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zgast said:

Made Tom Sietsema's 7 Favorite Places piece.  I've still never been - worth going to?

Never been.  If anything, this makes me even more leery about Tom's recommendations.

But in answer to Bob's query below, I'd go check it out if WaPo was paying.  😉

On 3/9/2018 at 9:41 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

http://www.tigerforkdc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/TF2018_DinnerMENU_R45.pdf

Looking at the most recent menu doesn't reveal anything exciting.  Are people still going here?

Brunch menu looks even less appetizing http://www.tigerforkdc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/TF2017_BrunchMENU_R18_single-for-Niki.pdf

How good would beef chow fun have to be to be worth $19?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Well, why are people willing to pay $19 at Tiger Fork for chow fun but not at an authentic Chinese restaurant?  

Did you hear Kojo Nnamdi's broadcast today? This sort-of relates to that.

"Food Criticism in D.C. Has a Diversity Problem" on thekojonnamdishow.org

Without having had Tiger Fork's Chow Fun, but having had numerous gloppy renditions at restaurants such as Full Kee in Chinatown: "Lack of gratuitous and/or rancid oil" might be a reason - I'm not saying it's right, or wrong; merely that it might be a reason, or at least a hopeful perception.

Screenshot 2019-11-27 at 20.51.37.png

On 11/26/2019 at 3:30 PM, Bob Wells said:

How good would beef chow fun have to be to be worth $19?

20 hours ago, Jeff Heineman said:

Seems to be the same price (or actually cheaper!) as the noodles and meat at Sfoglina https://sfoglinapasta.com/all-day-menu.

The difference between $19 chow fun at Tiger Fork and the $12 chow fun you can get in Chinatown is the same difference between the $11 per person pasta you can get at Buca di Beppo and the $19 plate of pasta at Sfoglina. 

• Like 4

On 11/28/2019 at 10:23 AM, eatruneat said:

The difference between $19 chow fun at Tiger Fork and the $12 chow fun you can get in Chinatown is the same difference between the $11 per person pasta you can get at Buca di Beppo and the $19 plate of pasta at Sfoglina. 

I had a Thai curry at a high end, higly rated restaurant with a french trained chef. The dish wasn't as good on any level as my favorite Thai restaurants such as Thai Square or Bangkok 54 {at the time.} 

I have gone to strip Mexican where the mole, $12 an order, was better than any high end Mexican I have had, but the chicken itself was poor supermarket quality over cooked and poorly handled.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2019 at 10:23 AM, eatruneat said:

Thanks, I'll take your word for it since I've never been to Buca di Beppo and likely never will.