Eight Friends Meeting for Dinner - DC, Bethesda, Silver Spring - Good Food with Moderate Prices

Rieux

8 friends want to get together for dinner in a couple of weeks.  Some from NW DC, some in Silver Spring.  Looking for a place with good, moderately priced food, preferably in NW, Bethesda, SS, good ambiance where we can hang out for a while.  Please save us from ending up at Maggiano's!  

On first pass I thought of Buck's but I am sure there are other great options I am forgetting.

46 minutes ago, MarkS said:

Rays the Classics in SS would be a top choice.

Was going to post that earlier but then wondered about the "moderately priced" part. The Classics is great, though, and they do have the bistro special, which could keep costs down.

In NW DC, Sfoglina is pushing the moderately priced constraint, but they have that private room with the giant table.  I am not a big fan of dinners with 8 people, because I can never hear anyone in most restaurants, but I would be at peace at Sfoglina at that table.  

My neighbor always evaluates restaurants by whether they are "expensive" or "reasonable", and I never hear any further insight about any given place.  He really likes Blue 44, and mentioned he was meeting up with a group of couples there this past Friday.  Separately, I hear praise for their Monday fried chicken special.  As noted in other threads, I am very over the fried chicken trend in DC and have no reason to visit Blue 44 myself.  But I would try that over Maggiano's for sure.   

On 3/27/2017 at 1:37 PM, Rieux said:

To report back, friends decided on Jaleo Bethesda, which is not a bad option, I think.

Hmm, I would have chosen Grapeseed, especially since you can arrange it with Jeff here - let us know how it is?

I do think Jaleo is "safe," and the larger the party, the more reason to play it safe.

And Jaleo will be better than Maggiano's. :)

Jaleo was kind of perfect for the group.  The food was solid, a friend with a gluten/dairy allergy was able to order from the special menus (a nice touch at Jose Andres restaurants), the two-year old with us was accommodated, and everyone was happy.  Was the food the best it possibly could have been in the DC area? No, but we didn't need that.  What we needed was a place we could linger, and hang out, and talk.  In the end it worked out well, (and the price was not bad).  

On 4/17/2017 at 10:36 AM, Rieux said:

Jaleo was kind of perfect for the group.  The food was solid, a friend with a gluten/dairy allergy was able to order from the special menus (a nice touch at Jose Andres restaurants), the two-year old with us was accommodated, and everyone was happy.  Was the food the best it possibly could have been in the DC area? No, but we didn't need that.  What we needed was a place we could linger, and hang out, and talk.  In the end it worked out well, (and the price was not bad).  

That's one thing about restaurants like Jaleo and Zaytinya: Assuming the noise isn't a problem, they're *perfect* for large groups of people with diverse needs, tastes, and appetites. Like Rieux said, it's not the best food in town, but it isn't bad, either - and I had *no* idea they allowed corkage (what is the corkage fee?)