Pizzeria Beddia, Pizzaiolo Joe Beddia at East Girard Avenue in Fishtown - Cash-Only, Open Wed-Sat 5:30-10:30 PM, 40 Pizzas a Night Only

I visited on a beautiful day last Saturday. My three friends and I got in line at about 4:40pm, which we were afraid was too late to get one of the 40 pizzas of the day. There were about 20 people ahead of us, and we didn't know how many would be ordering multiple pizzas. The restaurant officially opens at 5:30pm, but they opened the door at 5:20pm. We placed our order for two pizzas (one with tomato sauce, cheese, sausage, and mushrooms and one arrabbiata) at around 5:40pm and were instructed to return at 8:50pm to pick up the pizzas. There's one guy (Joe Beddia) making the pizzas and a limited number of ovens in which to cook them, so the orders stack up and the pick-up times stretch later and later into the night.

We arrived a little before our pick-up time hoping our pizzas might be ready a few minutes early, but they were pretty accurate in terms of the time the pizza would be ready. We ate slices of each pizza in the car, pretty much straight out of the oven.

I thought the pizza was above average, but I think most pizza is good (so maybe I'm not the best judge). I'm not interested in Domino's or Papa John's, but I certainly enjoy Ledo's. I'm not sure the Beddia pizza was worth the rigamarole. Straight out of the oven the pizza kind of reminded me of Pete's Apizza with its crisp crust. The toppings were generous, and the crust stood up to them, which I appreciated. I thought the arrabbiata was too spicy, but that's probably just my personal preference. I enjoy spicy foods but maybe not spicy pizza.

I don't know. I enjoyed the pizza (again, I enjoy most pizza, maybe 75% of pizza), but I didn't think it was life changing, and I'm not sure it was worth the rigamarole to obtain. But it was good. Joe Beddia and his one staff member who takes the orders and gives pick-up times seemed nice. I'm curious to know if anyone else has visited and what they think.

I recently attended a book signing for Pizza Camp. This is a cookbook that Joe Beddia authored, and a foreward is written by Andrew Knowlton of Bon Appetite. He is originally from Lancaster, Pa. Lancaster culitvates good food, as well as great food people. I have been meaning to make a trip to Pizza Beddia. I will report back with my take. 

Hungry for 'za,

kat

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dracisk said:

Thanks for the intel. I will make my way there soon! Speaking of places to hit in the Philadephia area, have you been to to Easton, Pa? I stumbled upon a great spot, well actually a market. Easton Public Market . Its incredible. I'll will stop over on my way to Philly. 

Will travel for food,

kat

13 hours ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

Speaking of places to hit in the Philadephia area, have you been to to Easton, Pa?

I have not, but I've heard about the Crayola Experience there, and that market does look amazing. I see the makings of a weekend trip at some point!

• Like 1

On 6/8/2017 at 5:10 PM, dracisk said:

I don't know. I enjoyed the pizza (again, I enjoy most pizza, maybe 75% of pizza), but I didn't think it was life changing, and I'm not sure it was worth the rigamarole to obtain. But it was good. Joe Beddia and his one staff member who takes the orders and gives pick-up times seemed nice. I'm curious to know if anyone else has visited and what they think.

I'm sure Joe Beddia is a nice man, but their website is haughty at best, and not very useful to the neophyte. This pizza would nearly have to perform a sexual act on me to justify my business.

Apr 7, 2017 - "The Best Pizzeria in America To Close? Say It Ain't So, Joe Beddia" by Michael Klein on philly.com

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DonRocks said:

This pizza would nearly have to perform a sexual act on me to justify my business.

Ha, yes, my friend was the instigator for this adventure. I'm not sure I would have bothered without her prodding.

I stumbled upon intel that Pizza Beddia will not be shutting its doors entirely. A group of investors are interested in expanding Beddia's 40 dough max, operation. He is slightly apprehensive about the partnership, but at the end of the day, he wants to do more than sling dough. So maybe, just maybe, DonRocks will find his way to Fishtown, sans salacious persuasion. 

Daytrippin,

kat

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Kat, can we assume that Pizzeria Beddia is closing for good as of Mar 31, 2018?

One thing I have always learned,  never assume. I talked to Joe directly, right after I saw your post, and he said he is opening a bigger pizzeria later this year. The current location will be dunzo as of March 31st, but not Pizzeria Beddia.

4 minutes ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

One thing I have always learned,  never assume. I talked to Joe directly, right after I saw your post, and he said he is opening a bigger pizzeria later this year. The current location will be dunzo as of March 31st, but not Pizzeria Beddia.

Will it still be called Pizzeria Beddia? The "40 pizzas a day" model didn't quite seem sustainable.

22 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Will it still be called Pizzeria Beddia? The "40 pizzas a day" model didn't quite seem sustainable.

I didn’t press for intel. He is a good friend of a restaurant owner that I personally know in Lancaster. I was surprised he answered so quickly , to be honest. So I don’t know the answer to your question. What I can speculate on , is that his expanded place might have more options other than his pizzas. A few months back, Joe did a pop up at Hungry Pigeon. Possibly the future menu at his newly expanded spot later this year. 

• Like 1