ElGuapo

Bresca, Chef Ryan Ratino's European-Influenced American in the Former Policy Space - in 14UP

51 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Tell me more about how that’s prepared?

Beef tendon was sliced thinly and the puffed rice was fried (?) around it. The order was probably four large puffs.

Somewhat challenging to eat as the rice sort of shattered around the tendon when cut.

5 hours ago, Keithstg said:

Overall: Very nice and accommodating service. Well priced, interesting menu and great atmosphere. I found the food somewhat at odds with the glowing reviews above - there was a definite lack of finesse in the mains at odds with the nuance found in the small plates. Seems like better QC is needed.

Worth noting - head chef Ryan Ratino is currently off on a research trip in Japan which could certainly contribute to that. 

7 minutes ago, FranklinDubya said:

Worth noting - head chef Ryan Ratino is currently off on a research trip in Japan which could certainly contribute to that. 

Fair enough. That said, I'd hope that the current staff could function well enough in his absence to produce consistent meals, if not ones to inspire the wild hyperbole upthread.

On 3/15/2019 at 3:15 PM, Keithstg said:

Fair enough. That said, I'd hope that the current staff could function well enough in his absence to produce consistent meals, if not ones to inspire the wild hyperbole upthread.

Also totally fair.  I haven't posted in this thread but I've had overall great experiences at Bresca but I will say the experience tends to be more of like 3 or 4 out of 5 dishes are great with 1/2 being underwhelming, but the highs for me have been superlative (the various foie dishes, duck a la presse, chestnut agnolotti on the original menu, beef tartarlets come to mind) which makes up for the lows (for me) especially since they're very creative.  However I'd definitely be a little more "whelmed" on the whole if the dud dishes were entrees, which is always unfortunate.

• Like 1

We were here in Novemberish for a game dinner - skipped the wine pairings that were special to the night. It was very good but not mind blowing.

Wild Pheasant Dashi withmatsutake, golden ossetra and clotted cream
Pheasant egg scramble with dungeness crab, white truffle and alliumDry aged squab with brioche, foie gras and quince
Red deer with koji, squash, black truffle and apple.

Very good service and, since it was mid-week, it was not crazy noisy in there.  Honestly, I would have preferred the preparations to be more simple as I think that can best highlight the game itself. But upscaling it did not harm the experience.  I would have also preferred to pick and choose things, perhaps from a larger game-centric menu but I totally understand it is difficult to gauge what diners will and will not like and order, and a safer way is to do a set menu where all you have to do is guess how many people you think are going to order the set menu.

Went again in February of this year with friends and enjoyed it again. One highlight was that the person who used to do cocktails at Macon Bistro is now here doing her thing. The cocktail options, while not a problem area before, I think will enjoy her talented contributions here in the coming months.

• Like 1