Restaurant Eve, Old Town Alexandria - Chef Cathal Armstrong and GM Todd Thrasher - Closed Jun 2, 2018

More on the tasting room. We visited the Tasting Room at Restaurant Eve last Friday night where Cathal continues to mix things up. As a result, there were several new offerings.

We began with an amuse of three small bites: Copper River salmon atop a gaufrette, topped with crème fraiche and sprig of micro basil; duck confit resting on salsify and toasted brioche; and the deviled quail egg, topped with osetra caviar, also on brioche. Each offering was quite satisfying in its own right and each very different. I like the restaurant's return to offering an assortment of three so that the diner can choose the direction to munch in. I'm still a big fan of ending with the uber rich deviled egg.

The next course consisted of sweet corn custard, sprinkled with lobster roe. The underlying sweetness of the roe, balanced against its natural saltiness, played well with the richness and density of the custard, which was more like a panna cotta in weight and feel. We went in different directions on the next course, which consisted of thinly sliced Lamb's tongue (you can see the striations!), topped with aged balsamic vinegar, and Manni olive oil. The savory character of the dish was enhanced by shaving of Mountaineer cheddar cheese (from Meadow Creek Dairy) and finished with micro basil and bulls blood. The other half of the tasting team (Camille) had a dish that clearly demonstrates that Summer is almost here: heirloom carrot and pea puree (from David Lankford's farm), fresh peas, tissue-paper thin pea "paper" [think really thin papdam] and foam. Both dishes are very creative and have layer upon layer of flavor and are also fine examples of the seasonal focus of the Chef's menu selections.

From here, we moved onto two fish dishes: the first consisting of Atlantic Black Sea Bass on a bed of oyster mushrooms. The dish was topped with a bundle of tiny stalks of white asparagus and finished with chive oil. The second consisted of perfectly sautéed skate wing on a spring garlic coulee and capped off with fried spring onions. The sea bass is a great mix of textures that include the crispy skin of the fish and its firm flesh. It had a marvelous "clean" taste. The skate paired well with the coulee and was perfectly prepared.

Following the fishes, we moved back to the mammal side of ledger, with an offering of braised pork shoulder in a crepe topped with a poached egg yolk (Chef's version of ham and eggs?) and a cube of pork belly confit. Yes, pork belly has crossed over from the bistro and in my opinion, not a minute too soon! This is a very rich dish, full of great flavors. Indeed, the "ham and eggs" portion of the dish -- when pierced, the yolk smothers the crepe containing the shoulder -- is really something not to be missed and really gives the belly a run for its money in terms of decadent richness. By comparison, the companion dish -- pan roasted venison accompanied by salsify on ramps atop puff pastry -- was almost light. Ramps are often on the menu and they play an excellent supporting role to the venison.

A composed cheese course, amazing desserts, and mignardies followed.

Todd Thrasher's suggested wine pairings were right on the mark with these course. Come to think of it, I could grow to like white wines, especially if they all come from Montrachet...

- Beau

New at lunchtime: braised lamb on toasted sourdough, with lettuce, tomato, etc. The seasonal fritter is now a small orange jelly donut served with a cardamom milkshake :) (which tastes like the milk in a rasmalai or rice kheer to me). No need to waste space describing how wonderful, etc. You all have read it here before. Just go and enjoy. Still such a freakin' bargain.

New at lunchtime: braised lamb on toasted sourdough, with lettuce, tomato, etc. The seasonal fritter is now a small orange jelly donut served with a cardamom milkshake :) (which tastes like the milk in a rasmalai or rice kheer to me). No need to waste space describing how wonderful, etc. You all have read it here before. Just go and enjoy. Still such a freakin' bargain.
I wasn't wowed by the lamb yesterday. It just didn't have much flavor for me. Still an amazing bargain and I'm hoping to sneak out of the office next week to see what magic is going on.

Jennifer

I had a dinner in the Tasting Room about a year-and-a-half ago, which was my inspiration for my very first post on egullet, but I had never been to the bar. I tried to go a few weeks ago on a Saturday night but the place was crammed. I finally made it last night at around 9:30, the place was practically empty except for a couple at the other end of the bar.

I had two appetizer specials: hogshead terrine and softshell crab. But first I started off with a New Age Gibson, which I remember really enjoying in the Tasting Room but this time struck me as overpowered with saffron. It could have been that I just wasn't in the right mood for this drink and should have ordered something lighter, but it had been a long evening and I thought gin was exactly what I needed.

When it came time to choose a by-the-glass wine to go with the terrine, the bartender, Chef Armstrong, and Mr. Thrasher plied me with advice and counsel worthy of a prince about to go to war. (For the record, I did not introduce myself as a Rockwellian, having a recent thread in mind.) After being offered a few tastings I decided on a lovely Gewürztraminer (I think this disappointed Mr. Thrasher, who advised against it, but I find this type of wine goes very well with most terrines and this was no exception). The moist, chunky, cartilaginous style of this terrine was set off beautifully with acidic, lightly wilted greens and a sharp mustard. The crab was presented in similar fashion and appeared to have a slightly spicy glaze on it. It was sweet, meaty, and perfectly cooked. The Gewürztraminer went very well with this as well.

Thanks to Messrs. Armstrong and Thrasher and everyone else at the bar last night for a wonderful close to what had been a rather grueling evening.

That's amazing since the restaurant has only been open just a bit more than two years :unsure: Time flies...(no snarkiness intended)

None taken. I just looked it up; it was December 2004. It really does feel like much longer. I guess that shows I need to get to Eve more often!

When it came time to choose a by-the-glass wine to go with the terrine, the bartender, Chef Armstrong, and Mr. Thrasher plied me with advice and counsel worthy of a prince about to go to war. (For the record, I did not introduce myself as a Rockwellian, having a recent thread in mind.) After being offered a few tastings I decided on a lovely Gewürztraminer (I think this disappointed Mr. Thrasher, who advised against it, but I find this type of wine goes very well with most terrines and this was no exception).

Thanks to Messrs. Armstrong and Thrasher and everyone else at the bar last night for a wonderful close to what had been a rather grueling evening.

This frequently happens when dining somewhat late at the bart at Eve on a mid week evening. Things clear out and the "senior staff" takes the time to chat up and have a glass of wine with the stray customer still at the bar.

This frequently happens when dining somewhat late at the bart at Eve on a mid week evening. Things clear out and the "senior staff" takes the time to chat up and have a glass of wine with the stray customer still at the bar.

Sometimes they do that at lunchtime, too.

Today's salad du jour was a beautifully seared piece of tuna loin on spring greens with tiny baby potato wedges, pitted nicoise olives, and other lovelies, with a nicoise-style dressing. It was heavenly! I ordered it medium-rare, and it was wonderful, but if I had another shot at it, I'd ask for rare.

The clams were wonderful, as usual.

I can't wait till July 1, when my beloved and I have a reservation in the Tasting Room again.

Had a lovely time at Eve last Friday night. We were showing my future parents-in-law around and knew that we had to share Eve with them, particularly as it had just been Bob's birthday. We were welcomed warmly and immediately shown to our table, which wasn't quite ready, so we got to have a few extra moments to chat with Ronnie, which is always a pleasure. He's getting closer and closer to his wedding and is getting svelter and sleeker every time we see him :unsure: He also had on one of my favorite of his ties -- I like how Todd's tie obsession has taken over his crew!

Bob, Tripewriter's dad, decided that because it was his birthday, he didn't want any stress, and so had Tripewriter order for him. He and Tripewriter started with an Old Speckled Hen, of which I was able to snatch a mouthful, and I had the special cocktail, which was delicious -- Bing cherries, yum -- and topped with mint oil. Bob thought that this was...interesting. The table next to us, however, was intrigued, and I belive that I saw a tray appear next door, shortly after my cocktail was delivered, with three more on it. For an appetizer, I had the crab cakes, and I was so enthralled by them that I've completely forgotten what Bob had. Tripewriter had the homemade veal sausage and loved it. Linda had the beet salad without any beets, and she was most pleased with it. I was very, very hungry and demolish the two cakes before Ronnie could appear at our table with our wine. I have to say, it went well with the crumbs left on my plate, and it gave me something to do while the others finished their dishes more sedately.

For mains, Bob had the duck, and he loved it -- Linda had mentioned that he was a lover of the bird, which was what swayed us to choose the duck over the rest of the menu. I had the halibut and was once again in fish heaven. In fact, my mouth watered just now thinking of it. It was perfect. And the morels were fabulous. And I am so fond of my in-laws-to-be that I gave Bob the biggest one. And I gave one to Tripewriter. But the rest were ALL mine. The sauce was divine, as well.

Linda and Tripewriter were both happy with their dishes, but I simply can't remember what they were -- just that there was nothing but "mmm" and "wow" and "this is great" sort of noises coming from them for the duration of the course. I do remember that Tripewriter's course was served with "The King of Chenin Blancs," which Bob tasted and declared to be truly regal. He, in turn, had a red that sounded delicious -- and that was said to be so, and, indeed, was enough so that nobody else got a sampling.

For dessert, Linda passed, and I had the birthday cake. Someday I may get tired of it, but the allure of the little pink cake with sprinkles has yet to wear off. I also got a side of the black sesame ice cream that was served with the cardamom pot du creme, as that was my very, very close second choice. It was good but didn't strike me as amazing. Tripewriter and Bob had the clafoutis and both devoured the whole thing. Ronnie also brought us complimentary -- thank you!!! -- glasses of dessert wine. Bob and Tripewriter had a darker one that I didn't get to taste, and I had the wonderful Austrian apple-y one of which I can NEVER remember the name. I love it. I am not a sweet wine person and never have been, despite my penchant for desserts, but this wine is something special.

Cathal came out at the conclusion of the decadence and greeted us all -- I got a kiss! -- before wishing Bob a happy birthday.

We simply could not have had a better night, and I give my greatest thanks to those who made it possible, with particular gratitude to Ronnie, who pampered us the whole evening; Todd, who stopped by to make sure that everything was fine and dandy; our server, a young man whose name I have forgotten but who offered friendly, cheerful, and excellent service; and Cathal and Meshelle, who, as always and of course, made the evening a smash hit.

I wanted to complement the chef and staff at Restaurant Eve where my husband and I had our first experience at the Tasting Room last night. We had tried several times in the past to get a reservation with no luck and have enjoyed the food in the bistro, so we were really looking forward to this dinner. Wow! What creativity in the cooking and excellence in the execution -- the "peas and carrots" was fantastic, as was the venison, quail, skate wing. . . The skate wing in particular was a revelation, since versions at other restaurants are often soft and mushy, and I have never really enjoyed skate before. Here, the skate was firm and had a nice crust from being seared quickly at high heat with I would guess clarified butter and a light dusting of flour. Moreover, Chef Armstrong really knows how to make tasty sauces, and normally, I'm not a big fan of "foams" but they certainly were used to advantage and very subtly in the dishes last night -- I think it was the peas and carrots that came with a dab of parmesan foam. The portion sizes for the 5-course menu were just right, especially when you factor in the numerous extras. I hate when you feel overstuffed afterwards. The only room for improvement in our opinion was to make the onion tart that accompanied the flan during the cheese course more onion-y; it seemed to be more like just a square of puff pastry with no hint of onion. Also, the blue cashel with boxty was fabulous, but we couldn't really detect the country ham in the dish. Perhaps the concern was that more ham would have been overwhelmingly salty with the blue cashel, I don't know. One final complement -- our server was very good at answering our questions about the dishes and seemed very knowledgeable about the ingredients and how they were prepared -- he was very helpful, pleasant and professional. Anyway, it was really a top notch culinary experience -- I can't wait for the next time, whenever that might be.

For better or worse, I am a lickity-split lunch virgin no more.** The house salad today was a delightful mélange of greens, chunks of lobster, hearts of palm, and other enticing nibblettes, all holding up a beautifully crisp pan seared soft shell crab. So that was the first lure. Then the sandwich of the day was mentioned – a bbq pulled pork sandwich on grilled bread with house potato chips and cornichons. I opened wide and it all went down quite satisfyingly.

** Mourn not, I will Get It Back. Always have.

Nice review. Care to explain the beet salad without any beets?

Sorry, yes -- the beet salad is a green salad with beets and goat cheese; Linda wanted a green salad but was not enamored with the idea of the beets. Our very nice server suggested that we may be able to get the salad without the beets, and she was thrilled :unsure:

I also remembered what Linda and Tripewriter had -- the soft shell crab, which they reported as being quite lovely.

It's a testament to the evening that aside from maybe two bites of birthday cake that I simply could NOT finish, we all four literally wiped our plates clean all night long...

Looks like 3 stars for the Bistro - click for the review from the June 25 Post Sunday Magazine. Part of a look at previously reviewed places, it also includes Majestic Cafe ** and Taverna Cretekou *1/2). [seems like this is up pretty early!]

(Some folks don't think there's any reason to separate the Bistro from the Tasting Room, but obviously each experience holds it own!)

The olive oil poached tuna on the bar menu at Eve is a steal. Its previous interations have been described here before, but I was surprised at how nice and rare tuna could be after an olive oil poaching, and pleased to see a much more interesting than typical take on rare tuna.

Whatever service kinks may or may not have once existed with eating in the bar area appear to be gone. Our bartender/server had to work hard to get to our table in the corner, but took good care of us and really knew his stuff. From details about each cheese and where they were from, to an impressive and delightful pairing of a slightly carbonated sweet italian red with the birthday cake, our guy was great. I was reminded of one of the early stories about Eve - how they like to hire energetic, young, less experienced staff and mold their great personalities and passion into seasoned experts without the pretensiousness that sometimes otherwise accompanies that level of sophistication - because they can teach the knowlege, but not the rest. I love the theory and from what I've seen, they really make it work.

Eating at the bar last night was nearly as enjoyable as spending my birthday in the tasting room. I think that speaks volumes about Eve.

Yet another new item to mention from Eve: the Head Banger. Same idea as the Hogshead burger (all things edible from the head) turned into a truly delectable sausage. Very clever name for an excellent dish!

I enjoyed this Saturday night as my first course in the Tasting Room. I loved the poached quail egg on top. The whole thing was thoroughly decadent and delicious!

Where can your hotel sales manager take you, a stressed out meeting manager, after a disasterous start to a three-day conference, complete with falling ceiling tiles, soaked meeting rooms and short staff numbers?

The Tasting Room at Restaurant Eve for the 5-course tasting menu. You have the Summer Daisy, a drink made with fresh blueberries, limes, and vanilla vodka (not sweet, very refreshing), the Bacon and Eggs (everything that breakfast should be, with crispy on the outside/tender on the inside/smoky throughout pork belly) and an amuse from the chef that includes strawberry gelee, candied hazelnuts, rhubarb puree and goat cheese. You forget the last few days of weather-related havoc and enjoy the wine, the food, the superb service.

I'll be sure to return on my own dime as soon as possible. :unsure:

I feared my expectations for my first dinner at the Bistro at Restaurant Eve the other night were too high, but I need not have worried. We got there early, since no one seemed to be on the road this week, and started out in the bar. I had the Eamonn's cocktail (yuzu juice, Irish red lemonade, and Powers Irish whiskey). It reminded me of a lighter, fresher version of a sip of my grandmother’s old fashioned.

For the first course I had the market sampler, a composed salad with green beans, radishes, tomatoes, macadamia(?) nuts, goat cheese, and half a stuffed egg. It was simple, fresh, and delicious, and a good segue to my rich main course: the Muscovy duck breast with blackberry preserves, duck sausage, and foie gras. I’m kind of a situational vegetarian who leans toward fish and vegetables, so this was a very daring order for me. The risk paid off. In concept it reminded me of the Rabbit Tasting a friend had at Citronelle last week, with the different preparations separately laid out on the plate but coordinating nicely.

Since this was a birthday dinner, I couldn’t resist the rich, pink-frosted birthday cake. After dinner the server gave me a bag of “sweet little gift scone mix,” just in time for tomorrow’s breakfast at Wimbledon. Now I need to start rolling some quarters for a splurge in the Tasting Room.

I'm taking my girlfriend here for our 2 year anniversary on Tuesday. Any recommendations? I can't decide between the 5 and 9 course menu.
Generally I find the 5 course dinner with the paired wine flight more than enough. I have had the 9 course (once!) and it's more than I can eat. YMMV. There is always a second dessert if you're still hungry after the 5 course.

Listen to Cathal Armstrong discuss how Restaurant Eve supports local farms in a July 28 interview on WETA-FM.

http://www.weta.org/theintersection/media/...TION_JULY28.mp3

During the segment (about 2/3 into the show), he mentions Eve's sweet corn soup, which I've had the pleasure of tasting in a couple of permutations this month (last night with poached lobster). It's deliciously cornographic!

The program also includes interviews with area aggies and Shoe Box Oven's Krishna Brown.

BFA

I arrived late to the Farmer's Market yesterday and saw Chef surrounded by his adoring fans...anyone ask him anything about Eammon's or what's new at Eve?

I wasn't there yesterday, but last time I was at Eve for lunch I heard about Eamonn's that they're just waiting on the city now--I guess that means occupancy permits.

I had the corn veloute as part of my Lickety Split last Thursday, and it was wonderful! Clams are out of season now, but still plenty of deliciousness on the menu. Chef mentioned to me that he had been down to Polyface Farms on Wednesday, about 3 hours each way, but worth it, he said.

A new addition to Todd's repertoire of fabulous cocktails: Millions of Peaches.

If you're a fan of the Pear of Desire, you must try this one. I probably won't get all of the details exact, but it goes something like this: Peach Stoli, peaches poached in sauterne with a touch of cinnamon and vanilla, topped with some peach air made from pickled peaches (with an olfactory reminiscence of the pickled air that tops the pickled martini) - finished off with a thin layer of foie gras (torchon I believe) on a peach brioche cracker. Similar instructions to the PoD - bite, sip, bite, sip - enjoy - Wow! Another delicious creation that incorporates the fresh flavors of what's in season.

There is also a new cocktail called "Melon Ball?" - I didn't try it (yet) but it is made with fresh cantaloupe juice, a touch of ginger, and Lillet Blanc.

Goodbye and Good Luck to Ronnie - We will miss you!!

I arrived late to the Farmer's Market yesterday and saw Chef surrounded by his adoring fans...anyone ask him anything about Eammon's or what's new at Eve?
When we chatted with him on Friday night, he mentioned that he had just perfected his recipes for the chipper. Can't wait to taste 'em!

He mentioned Eammons at the end of the tour -- if my mind isn't playing tricks on me, he said Eammon's should be open in one or two weeks.

I had the corn veloute as part of my Lickety Split last Thursday, and it was wonderful! Clams are out of season now, but still plenty of deliciousness on the menu. Chef mentioned to me that he had been down to Polyface Farms on Wednesday, about 3 hours each way, but worth it, he said.
I had the corn veloute today - a hot soup on a day like today might not be everyone's choices, but it was good - really good. Creamy corn goodness.

I will definitely say Chef's trip to Polyface was worth it. I was fortunate enough to try some of the beef from Polyface today*, served as the highlight of a lovely salad. I noticed a difference in, or should I say, presence of, flavor in the meat (one I vaguely remember from beef that came from cows we had raised when I was a kid) that is a far cry from your usual store-bought beef. The texture is also more pronounced than what we might typically experience - some people might find it a bit on the chewy or tough side, but I didn't mind this. The oven roasted tomatoes that accompanied the salad were also unbelievably flavorful - what a difference quality and breeding makes! :)

*(well-timed as I've just finished the 'Industrial' part of Omnivore's Dilemma and am about to begin 'Pastoral')

Forgive me if my first post is not in the proper forum. I have been lurking for some time, and find you all to be a wealth of information - thank you.

I have a question about Restaurant Eve. I have been dying to go, but so far my budget has not allowed me (though I am saving up furiously). Is it worth just going to the bistro, or should I continue to save so that I can sit in the tasting room? Keep in mind that a trip to the bistro would set back any subsequent trip to the tasting room by several months.

Also, is the amount of food served in the tasting room comparable to that served from, say, Komi's tasting menu (which, after eating, nearly made me explode)? Just curious.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Forgive me if my first post is not in the proper forum. I have been lurking for some time, and find you all to be a wealth of information - thank you.

I have a question about Restaurant Eve. I have been dying to go, but so far my budget has not allowed me (though I am saving up furiously). Is it worth just going to the bistro, or should I continue to save so that I can sit in the tasting room? Keep in mind that a trip to the bistro would set back any subsequent trip to the tasting room by several months.

Also, is the amount of food served in the tasting room comparable to that served from, say, Komi's tasting menu (which, after eating, nearly made me explode)? Just curious.

Welcome to the board Plunk!

As a first run, if your location allows, you could try out the Lickety-Split lunch. A lot of us think it's one of the best deals in town. $13.50 for your choice of any 2 items from a pretty substantial list that always includes a soup, salad, and sandwich of the day. Then you can keep saving up for the Tasting Room, where you have a choice of 5 or 9 courses. I've had both and have left feeling very sated, but in a pleasant way, not to the point of 'exploding'. The courses are portioned and paced very nicely so that you will enjoy the experience and the food. The bistro offerings are just as good, and the room is very nice too, so it really depends how you want to spend your money and what sort of experience you're seeking.

I felt much more like exploding after an Eve tasting room dinner than I did after the tasting menu at Komi. It probably depends on which options you order, but I felt the food at Eve was richer and therefore more filling.

I'd give the Bistro a try, personally. Others' opinions may differ.

Well, the Bistro is wonderful, but if you really enjoy the tasting menu experience, I'd wait because it is such a special experience.

Meanwhile, why don't you treat yourself to a Lickey Split lunch? :)

The Lickety Split was going to be my suggestion, too -- any two courses off the lunch menu for $13.50!!! A deal that can't be beat. I'm already plotting in advance for the next time I can devour an Irish BLT. Mmmm. Mmmmeat.

I agree with the others about the lunch special. Sadly, from my office, Alexandria is the other end of the earth.

If I had to pick between the two rooms for dinner, I'd go with the Tasting Room. The Bistro is terrific, don't get me wrong. I've had a few meals there that are just as good as some of my favorite spots in Paris. But that's the issue - I find that traditional French bistro food can be a tad limiting. It is what it is. Eve does it flawlessly, but it is what it is.

If you are being good and saving up to pick one or the other, I'd go with the much more exciting Tasting Room menu. But if you particularly love bistro fare or are in the mood for it, then by all means experience the Bistro.

I'll be having dinner in the Bistro Room tonight... anyone have any suggestions of dishes that have been good lately?

Anything with pork. :)

ETA: Oops. I didn't see Jacques' post.

To be a little more helpful...if gnocchi is on the bistro menu, jump at the chance to order it.