Restaurant Eve, Old Town Alexandria - Chef Cathal Armstrong and GM Todd Thrasher - Closed Jun 2, 2018

But what impressed me most about Eve (and then later at the PX) was the people. Our waiter was spectacular - offering enthusiastic information about our food selections with a real personal interest. Todd Thrasher's wine selections were spot-on (as were our waiter's) and his drinks (at both Eve and the PX) do not need further description by me here. Every host, waiter - every staff member seemed genuinely to care about what they were doing - creating a real community within the walls of the restaurant. You could taste the care in the food and sense it in the service - I cannot think of a better way to have dinner!

this is true and what helps distinguish Eve from the other restaurants out there.

I haven't had a chance yet to rave about my first visit to the bistro this past week at Eve. We started with cocktails, my husband had a lemon-based one (wish I remembered the names of the drinks) and I had one with lemonade. Both tasty as you'd expect. We started with a shared appetizer of the pouched mussels, which was thoughtfully split into two dishes. The sauce and the style of cooking were great. For main courses, I had the special, which was a pan-seared rockfish with a number of different side tastes, including pureed cauliflower, celery root, and mushrooms, and probably more. The dish was incredible - I started out just liking it but about midway through the complexity of the tastes really came together and made it amazing. My husband had the ribeye, which was very flavorful and juicy. It was his first free-range experience. For dessert, he had the birthday cake, which he devoured, and I had apple donuts with cinnamon ice cream and apple butter. All in all, one of our favorite meals in a long time!

First Majestic and now this - another disappointment in Old Town. We had a very good meal there over the holidays from both the mezze/tapas menu and the entrees. But there were only about two other tables taken on what should have been a busy night.

The Eve people can't keep opening up more new places. Can they? Southern-Irish? Irish tapas?

Oh yes they can....but it is not going to be in Old Town.

So yesterday, I finally had the pleasure of figuring out what this Lickity Split thing was that you all rave about so much. (Actually, it was my first time at Restaurant Eve EVER and I will be making a return trip as soon as humanly possible. Read on….)

OMIGOD!!!!! It was the absolutely best meal I have ever had for $25!!! In my entire life! (Granted, I haven’t had a boatload of $25 meals, but still……..you get my point.)

I had the sandwich of the day which was a pulled barbeque pork sandwich with a few field greens and homemade potato chips.

I also got a side of mushroom risotto. Now, I am NOT a risotto fan. It’s too heavy and starchy and sticky for me. But I figured the price was low, I HAD to try it. I was not disappointed. It was fabulous!!!!! And that is HIGH praise for someone who does not like risotto. If I had not been so worried about looking refined, I would have taken some bread to the empty bowl and done some serious sopping!! Now, I’m not sure if it has turned me into a risotto fan yet though. From what I have heard , this a VERY high bar for an average restaurant to meet. So maybe I’ll save my risotto consumption for Mr. Armstrong.

Then for dessert I had the fresh gingerbread cake with a small scoop of rich, decedent vanilla ice cream and a spoonful of orange rind/marmalade stuff. It was freshly made (still warm… from the OVEN, NOT the microwave) and divine!!!

And the absolutely best part of this meal was that while I was there from 3:30 – 5:00, Cathal Armstrong was actually there!! Cooking the food… chatting to regulars at the bar area with me….. running a neighborhood restaurant like he was in his very own home. I mean, a restaurant where the star chef ACTUALLY cooked my food. MY food! Who woulda thunk it?? And to make it even better, it was done even during that weird in-between lunch and dinner time too. Absolutely amazing!!!

Oh and yes, the bartender Tammy is still there and she is fabulous!! She is warm, friendly but not overbearing and chatty and genuine. She made me feel like I was actually a part of the community. (A great feat when I am surrounded by people who ALL know each other on a first name basis.)

OK, I can go on and on about this place (obviously), but I’ll stop here. (Sorry this is so long.) Suffice it to say that it well lived up to the hype and it totally exceeded my expectations!!! If you haven't been yet, go. Now. No, right now.

This and Dairy Godmother AND Cheetique may be my official go-to spots whenever I take an excursion across the Wilson Bridge!

Peace & Many Blessings,

LaShanta

We went to Eve for dinner last Friday. I must say, I don't see what the big deal is. Granted, we had the Bistro menu in the bar, but the food wasn't all that remarkable. A disappointing rockfish and steak, not so great risotto, and nice but not stellar service, did not make this a great evening. We were planning on doing our anniversary dinner in the restaurant, but now I think not. Am I the only one who doesn't think this place is all that? This was our second trip (again Bistro menu in the bar on an impromptu trip), and the first visit was better, but overall, I wouldn't recommend it based on my two trips.

Just for some context: At what places do you find the food remarkable?

It wasn't a bad steak, but it wasn't great either. I expected more flavor and tenderness. My husband had the rockfish and was likewise unimpressed. Said it was a bit overdone. Perhaps we were expecting more based on all the reviews. Maybe it was an off night. Maybe the server let it sit too long.

Since moving back to the area a few months ago, I'd be hard pressed to say that any one place has really impressed me, although we tend to frequent casual dining places more than the upscale places. We weren't living in a culinary capital before by any stretch of the imagination, that's for certain.

Maybe the server let it sit too long.
Not much of a chance of that at Eve. There is no "pass" in the traditional sense at Eve. When the stuff gets done, the line cook shows it to the Chef who approves it for immediate transmittal to the customer's table. That kitchen is so small that there is no place to let anything "sit" for any amount of time.

And if Eve did not impress you, you are going to have similar of problems with some of the other places in town. Perhaps you should give the tasting room a try. Different menu and format.

Perhaps you should give the tasting room a try. Different menu and format.

I agree. Maybe you don't like the food, maybe they didn't do a good job the nights you've been, but its worth keeping in mind that the bar area and the tasting room are inherently going to be very different experiences. I love eating at the bar at Eve, but while the food and service have always been good when I have been there, they do not compare - and I would not expect them to - to my one experience in the tasting room. That being said, if you aren't impressed and don't want to spend your money there, far be it for me to insist that you be part of the masses that make it so hard to get a reservation there.

QUOTE(bilrus @ Jan 29 2007, 07:21 PM)

First Majestic and now this - another disappointment in Old Town. We had a very good meal there over the holidays from both the mezze/tapas menu and the entrees. But there were only about two other tables taken on what should have been a busy night.

The Eve people can't keep opening up more new places. Can they? Southern-Irish? Irish tapas?

Oh yes they can....but it is not going to be in Old Town.

Speaking of Eve.... What? When? Where? Tell me something good!

Not much of a chance of that at Eve. There is no "pass" in the traditional sense at Eve. When the stuff gets done, the line cook shows it to the Chef who approves it for immediate transmittal to the customer's table. That kitchen is so small that there is no place to let anything "sit" for any amount of time.

And if Eve did not impress you, you are going to have similar of problems with some of the other places in town. Perhaps you should give the tasting room a try. Different menu and format.

I owe this place a review once I get our menu back from Robyn. This was far and away the best meal I've had in DC (in the tasting room)

Maybe so, I haven't eaten at all the other places in town, but what strikes me about Eve is that the menu is a lot more adventurous than most places I've been.

I might not get out enough but can't think of any other place where you can order fois gras OR sweetbreads OR pork belly as your entree.

Not that I am complaining.

But if someone prefers steaks to organ meats, they surely would not be disappointed by Rays. Not to diss Eve's steaks; I've never tried them. Steak isn't something I hanker for most of the time.

It's just -- and I am just guessing here -- with a menu like Eve's it strikes me that steak is something they serve for the die-hard steak eaters, people who see "sweetbreads" and don't think "ethereal, magical" but "ewwwwww."

It's just -- and I am just guessing here -- with a menu like Eve's it strikes me that steak is something they serve for the die-hard steak eaters, people who see "sweetbreads" and don't think "ethereal, magical" but "ewwwwww."
Just playing devil's advocate here...this statement comes across as "if you're not adventurous enough to order organ meats then you should be satisfied with a lesser experience." At a restaurant of Eve's caliber (and expense), shouldn't even the red-meat-eater appeasing afterthoughts be executed with the same attention as the rest of the menu? I would expect so. Let's put the "they didn't order the right thing" stuff to bed and just accept that different people will always have different expectations, tastes, experiences, and opinions. I have been disappointed by several places that regularly get raves here. YMMV.

Actually, it seems hard to avoid pork belly or foie gras these days, and sweetbreads are pretty common,
And just where did these trends start? The first pork belly I ever encountered was at Eve.

Other firsts for me at Eve: tripe, eels, fresh sardines, lamb liver and kidneys. There's always something new and unusual at Eve. When I was in there for the lickety split lunch yesterday, the meat guy was delivering a whole veal calf and I mean whole. It included the head, the inndards (stomach, intestines), the whole darned thing.

And just where did these trends start? The first pork belly I ever encountered was at Eve.

Other firsts for me at Eve: tripe, eels, fresh sardines, lamb liver and kidneys. There's always something new and unusual at Eve. When I was in there for the lickety split lunch yesterday, the meat guy was delivering a whole veal calf and I mean whole. It included the head, the inndards (stomach, intestines), the whole darned thing.

I'm not saying that Eve isn't full of delights. I was just surprised to see pork belly and sweetbreads held out on this board as cutting edge, they seem kind of like beloved old standards to me -- the "My Funny Valentines" of cooking. But, as I said, if he can sell kidneys to the general public then I am impressed.

PS: how did you eat the eel? When I've had it, it was kind of cross-sectioned and we ate around the bones, leaving a plate full of weird little "u"s behind. It didn't seem Miss Manners approved.

PPS: Find out what's happening to the veal cheeks and PM me. :o

Supposedly, FDA regulations forbid the offering of lungs for human consumption in the US.

No haggis for me! I guess.

Just playing devil's advocate here...this statement comes across as "if you're not adventurous enough to order organ meats then you should be satisfied with a lesser experience." At a restaurant of Eve's caliber (and expense), shouldn't even the red-meat-eater appeasing afterthoughts be executed with the same attention as the rest of the menu? I would expect so. Let's put the "they didn't order the right thing" stuff to bed and just accept that different people will always have different expectations, tastes, experiences, and opinions. I have been disappointed by several places that regularly get raves here. YMMV.
Well, what I was thinking wasn't "they ordered the wrong thing" but that a steak at a great steak house is typically better than steaks served elsewhere. And, there are great steak houses in the DC metro area.

Just got back from Eve... to tipsy and full to really describe each course, but each course (and pairing...) that came out I kept saying "this is among the best I've had." Of particular note were the canapes (I loved the ham and cheese fritata-thing, PJASchultz loved the pork terrine), the sweetbreads (my first time... WOW! Though PJASchultz didn't particularly like them), the veal with 100 year-old balsamic, the gorgonzola dolce, and the goat cheese "creme brulee".

Fried veal brains last night at Eve. Crispy on the outside, white and creamy on the inside -- much like a warm, oozing brie. Delicious!!
God Bless You for eating that. I am going to have to give it a try at Eve. All I can remember is my moms "Brain Fritters" as we called them, and having to douse them in hot sauce and ketchup to try to forget what they were. You would of thought I would have gotten over that by now. Was this served in the bistro or the tasting room? I am serious about trying them again, it is kind of like getting back on a horse....(I am doing that on Tuesday! :o Maybe I will do the brain afterwards!)

...All I can remember is my moms "Brain Fritters" as we called them, and having to douse them in hot sauce and ketchup to try to forget what they were. You would of thought I would have gotten over that by now.
This brain was served on a leek & cream sauce and was so light & airy it just melted on the tongue. Tasted similar to sweetbreads without the spongy texture. I don't think they have brains available very often. This one just happened to be from the veal that arrived last Wednesday. The tasting room did offer veal 4-ways though: sweetbreads, loin, braised shoulder and liver. Also quite yummy.

It was a wonderful evening to be in Old Town last night, and we had a very positive experience in the bar of Eve. As is supposedly customary at Eve (at least according to the waitress), we actually shared a table in the close quarters of the bar area with another couple, who were quite pleasant and very helpful since they had eaten there numerous times before. Of our two (expensive) drinks, the usually boring appletini was awesome as it was made with the juice of real granny smith apples. Our food started with an order of the daily special mussels, which were enormous. These were Barry Bonds-size mussels popping out of their large shells. Sharing the mussels and dipping the wonderful bread into the sauce was almost enough to fill us, but we found room to add an order of the appetizer kampachi (a sushi-grade white fish marinated in lemon vodka that had subtle flavors but was a little too boring), the pork belly entree (phenomenally juicy layors of protein and buttery smooth fat on a perfect bed of beans), and a side of the risotto (ridiculously rich, in fact TOO rich--the female eating with us only ordered this to eat). We took a good hunk of the pork belly and almost all of the risotto home. Not wanting to waste the beautiful spring night, we ended our night taking a walk around charming Old Town while sharing a small custard (made by a fellow PSU alum who took the same ice cream course that launched Ben & Jerry's). A more moneyed version of Frederick, Old Town Alexandria is where I'd love to call home. Too bad my Monkey County bred wife would rather grab a cot in Guantanomo than live in VA. Montgomery County, here we come [sigh].

Pax,

Brian

Alert, alert, nettle soup is back! There's also a new oyster po' boy on the lickety-split menu, really only a half-length po' boy but the oyster is substantial, juicy and delicious, dressed with a nice spicy remoulade and a couple leaves of romaine.

But Gubeen's salad du jour was the hot ticket today. Topped with three head-on blue shrimp, and incredibly aromatic. Still perhaps the greatest friggin' lunch bargain in the area.

Also noted: Thrasher is now stocking Wasmund's at the bar (currently working a batch #7 bottle), and professes to being a fan of the more recent versions. Watch for alchemical developments.

Oooooh...nettle soup! I know where I'll be tonight!
Dinner Saturday night of a soft shell appetizer, black cod with morels entree and friend's steak tartar with warm pumpernickel appetizer and soft shell entree was exceptional. The side of Swiss Chard wasn't bad either. The malted chocolate crème burlee was perfect. As always fantastic service from Tammy, filling in for Ken who took the evening off. :blink:

In addition to being utterly delicious, the nettle soup is good for you, too! Nettles have been used medicinally for their mild diuretic properties. They help ease arthritis symptoms and BPH. The season is short, so go, eat, and be well!

Yesterday I chose to follow the soup with their oyster po' boy. Yowza! Those were some perfect fried oysters!

Fellow diners at the bar were raving about the poached prawn salad. I didn't get a taste, but I know their salads are exceptional.

There were other great temptations on the Spring menu, so I hope to get back there soon for lunch.

My acupuncturist can take the credit for making me feel better this week, but I know that lunch at Eve played a big part, if only because it was so delicious.

In addition to being utterly delicious, the nettle soup is good for you, too! Nettles have been used medicinally for their mild diuretic properties. They help ease arthritis symptoms and BPH. The season is short, so go, eat, and be well!

Considering the amount of cream in that soup, I have a hard time believing it is good for you in the end. It is tasty, however.

The Po Boy is fun.

A plea: if you are going to get the prawns, whether in salad or appetizer form, please do not discard the heads without sucking out the goodness first. Or simply place the heads in a napkin and PM them to me. You don't realize what you are throwing away.

I had my first Lickety-Split lunch last week. This is truly an amazing value. I usually shy away from eating at the bar because my low back objects to lack of support, but Eve's bar chairs are so comfortable. And of course the service is great.

If you can get the nettle soup while the gettin's good, I'd highly recommend not missing Eve's version. With the butter which simply melts on contact with the bread being dunked and used to get every last bit, it is a treat.

Also, the patrami sandwich was very nice with home-made sauerkraut.

I agree with Monovano about the Nettle Soup. I had it a few weeks ago and it was tops. Stopped in last week and had the cockles and mussles which were fabulous. Big, meaty mussles and the broth was so rich and luscious -- full of garlic, wine and shellfish!

Today I had the Asparagus soup which rivals the Nettle Soup and the Hawaiian prawn salad. I turned a co-worked onto the bacon and egg salad and birthday cake. She was amazed. Couldn't believe the value and the birthday cake.

If you are around old town and need an excuse, give me a pm. This is too good.

My own love affair with Restaurant Eve continues.

Dinner a couple of weeks ago in the Bistro reminded me of how great the charcuterie is--and all cured/made on the premises (house-cured?). That pastrami sandwich on the lunch menu has not only house-made sauerkraut--the pastrami is cured right there (and the dressing is made there, too, I'm sure).

Fish is wonderful, too. A plate of marinated hamachi as a dinner appetizer was perfect. The marinade was mild enough to let the fresh and delicate flavor of the fish shine through, and it was a satisfying portion. My husband had the Cockles and Mussels and really enjoyed the fat, succulent bivalves. The po'boy at lunch showed off the kitchen's skill with fried food (as if there was any doubt).

I tried the Bacon, Egg, and Cheese salad for the first time last week, and found it better than I could have imagined. The poached egg on top, when pierced, releases lovely runny yolk that mixes with the dressing.

I haven't tried the steak, but at dinner I heard several servers explaining to diners that the beef is grass-fed (no corn or silage), so it is leaner, with a beefy taste. They were encouraging their customers to order their steaks more to the rare end of the spectrum, as the grass-fed beef tastes better with less cooking.

I can't wait to go back!

E and I were prepping for a week apart, and decided to try Restaurant Eve's bistro for our last dinner together. The bistro had too long of a wait, so we decided to check the bar for two seats together. We were about to leave since there were only single seats at the bar - but the low table by the door opened up. Our service was impeccable - we ordered slowly, ate slowly, and we never felt rushed or felt we had to flag anyone down. E had the Red Lemonade whiskey sour - which I wanted at first - but I was happy with the pomegranate or raspberry martini that I got. We started with the head cheese special - the caper mixture on the side was the best part of the dish. For our main dishes, E had the ribeye - which was good, but he loved (the salt crusted fingerlings were too small to stand up to the salt crust) -- and I had the sweetbreads - which I loved. So, for those of you keeping score - E and I declared this main-dish-off a tie.

Sausage is where it's at! Last night Tripewriter and I split an order of chef's Mexican chorizo with cranberry beans -- delicious! We used our bread to get every last drop of sauce, and it was worth it :blink: Then for dinner I had the duck (with garlic and sage) sausage. It was paired with a little tumble of greens -- perfect.

In response to DRock's query -- the family (wife daugter, daughter's BF, myself) dined in the Tasting Room on Saturday night. The estimable Todd Thrasher presided on the wet side -- kept me happy with champagne and another sparkler at the front and back ends of the meal, and was kind enough to whip up some non-alcoholic concotions for the kids which they thought was "Kewel." I told them that having imbided a cocktail prepared by the Maestro himself was something they would be able to recount one day to their grandchildren -- Todd demurred modestly. Has anyone seen the new issue of Food & Wine in which Cathal is now selling Irish Butter?

Of course the tasting menus themselves were divine. The kids each devoured the 9 course and my wife and I had the fiver. My favorite was the pork belly, but the rhubarb tartlet at the end was a perfect finish. My wife nearly fell asleep after course three -- we had the 9:30 seating -- she didn't catch a nap like th rest of us prudently did during the afternoon.

had the lickety-split with friends last friday - everything was really excellent - I had a morel soup and a chicken confit sandwich....others had cockles and mussels (a generous bowl) and oyster po' boys

the one minor quibble I wold have is that it wasn't very lickety-split - we waited a loooong time for food to come out and in between courses.....2 hours from start to finish....we weren't in any particular rush but thats a little long for a two course lunch

and yes I did see Cathal advertising Kerrygold in this months F&W - nice to see them (Kerrygold) finally trying to use one of Irelands greatest culinary exports (Armstrong)

the one minor quibble I wold have is that it wasn't very lickety-split - we waited a loooong time for food to come out and in between courses.....2 hours from start to finish....we weren't in any particular rush but thats a little long for a two course lunch

Two hours does sound longer that I would comfortable, unless there was a delay ordering or there was a slow eater in your group ;). I ate a solo "lickety split" lunch at the bar on Tuesday in about an hour (I was watching the time because I was parked at a meter), which seemed average in my experience. I was asked if I wanted the courses served in a particular order or at the same time, so the bartender is sensitive to the time issue. Perhaps the kitchen was slammed when you were there (I ate a late lunch - 1 PM?) or the server thought your party wanted a more leisurely pace (a lot of the people eating lunch there do not appear to be in a hurry to get back to work). But the staff is accommodating about the pace and I have been asked in the past if I was under any time pressure to leave.

Granted that you would not be aware of the potential problem until there was a long wait between courses, but you might try in the future to let them know when you order that your party would like to end lunch at a particular time. I have a feeling that the staff defaults to a more leisurely pace unless the get a cue from the diner that he is in a hurry.

Congrats to Cathal for his RAMMY for Chef of the Year and for Restaurant Eve's win for Wine and Beverage Program (way to go Todd). More thanks to Restaurant Eve's staff for all the wonderful meals and evenings we have spent with you. And, to all of the winners congraulations! Some of whom we have had the pleasure of dining with and others on our list to try.

My girlfriend and I take pickiness to Seinfeldian levels, and though we eat out for dinner more often than we eat in, finding nice restaurants at which we can celebrate occasions is a bit harder for us than most.

I made a reservation at Restaurant Eve’s Tasting Room to celebrate my girlfriend’s birthday knowing that its menu was fairly flexible but aware that I may very well have to pass on one or two courses. The hostess who took my reservation specifically inquired about the occasion, if any, and, upon me checking to make sure that vegetarian options were available for each course, the hostess asked about food restrictions.

So I told her.

No ungulates (e.g., pork, lamb, cow), duck (including foie gras), or seafood for my girlfriend. (I didn’t get into the intricacies of what cuts and textures of chicken are acceptable to my girlfriend, or her seafood exceptions, which include crab cakes, “crispy edges” of grilled fish, and calamari in limited quantities.)

No ungulates, cheese, alcohol, foie gras, or pasta for me. (I didn’t get into the pasta exception of ravioli filled with things other than meat or cheese, or my dislike of egg dishes, or the cheesecake exception.)

I followed up with an e-mail to Meshelle Armstrong the day of the meal to briefly note the peculiarities, and she assured me that my girlfriend and I would be pleased with the options.

She was absolutely correct. Our June 15 meal was easily our best of the year so far.

Restaurant Eve’s Tasting Room is both formal and homey, appropriate for a business dinner or a date. We were seated in a corner, at a small round table with a view of the room. The gentleman who guided us through our meal, Evan, quickly introduced himself and stated that he understood that we would need assistance navigating the menu. He proceeded to walk us through every one of the five courses (the nine-course option sounded daunting), answering our questions and noting his thoughts on each dish as we went along.

By the time Evan finished his tour of the menu, we knew we were in for a great meal.

The amuse bouche sent out by the chef consisted of a taste of pickled cauliflower, a small pile of diced beets, and a deviled egg no bigger than my thumb. My girlfriend and I did a little bartering (more beets for me, two eggs for her) and were pleased with our first bites.

Next came another pre-course chef’s welcome, a small veloute of morel mushrooms. Thank goodness the portion was small, as the smooth, creamy soup was as rich as it was delicious. At least, that’s how I felt. My girlfriend wondered aloud why she couldn’t just have a bowl of the veloute as her meal.

Our drinks kept us entertained as the courses came and went. My girlfriend enjoyed a blackberry currant fizz, which she deemed one of the most beautifully-presented drinks she had ever seen, and I sipped my wake-me-up-on-a-Friday-evening cappuccino which, happily, came with a small almond biscotti.

First courses arrived and were explained. My girlfriend had the “Goose Egg and Eve’s Garden Thyme Custard with Summer Truffles.” Perched on four stacked plates, each smaller than the one below it, was an egg-shaped dish filled with an egg custard and shaved truffles. My girlfriend tried it, and was so taken with it that I decided that maybe this would be the dish that converted me into an egg-eater. I had the slightest taste and found that, no matter how well-prepared, I just do not like eggs. But my girlfriend thought the custard was heavenly. She even said so: “Oh. My. God.”

I started with the “Marinated Hamachi with Lemon and ‘Per Mio Figlio’ [olive oil] and Kuroshio Salt.” A cut of hamachi the size of a small fillet, but appropriately thin, was well-served by the flavor of lemon and the almost-unnoticeable salt. Evan explained to us the difficulty of obtaining the proper grade of fish, and I appreciated the effort as the fish dissolved like butter in my mouth.

The second (“Ocean”) course was set before us. My girlfriend, as noted above, believes that fish should, by and large, stay in the ocean, so she opted for the “Gnudi Fritti with Pomodoro and Parmesan Cream.” The seafood-less dish consisted of a bowl of three medium-sized balls of fried cheese (“flash-fried” for approximately five seconds, as explained to us) in a tomato sauce that had been simmering for something like 48 hours, drizzled with melted cheese. Words like “outrageous” drifted from my girlfriend’s side of the table as the dish disappeared.

My second course was the “Sautéed Rouget with Maryland Crab Agnolotti and Parsley Butter.” Two small cuts of rouget (a fish previously unknown to me), each maybe three inches in length, were arranged on top of each other on the plate. Thin skin added a slight crispness to the texture. The flavor, enhanced by the small pond of parsley butter, was slightly sweet, and I made a mental note to seek this fish out in the future.

The agnolotti served alongside my rouget was passed on to my girlfriend, as its crab filling was mixed with ricotta cheese, a deal-breaker for me. She pronounced herself luckier for my loss by telling me how good it was.

The restaurant permits diners to swap dishes from different courses as needed, and I took it up on the offer for the third (“Earth and Sky”) course. None of the “Earth and Sky” items appealed to me, so I headed back to the “Ocean” and ordered the “Quenelle of Fluke Mousse with Lobster and White Asparagus.” The sky called to my girlfriend, and she ordered the “Gamebird Farm Quail with Foie Gras and Navarin of Spring Vegetables” (minus the foie gras, which she requested be withheld).

The quail turned out to be good, but not my girlfriend’s preferred course. She was branching out in ordering it, and the bird would probably have been more appreciated by someone predisposed towards enjoying quail.

My third course, however, was possibly the best of the evening. The fluke mousse, consisting of, as I understood the explanation, puréed fluke and egg, was puffy, light, wonderfully textured, and easily one of the most interesting and tasty things I have eaten all year. Only wizardry in the kitchen can result in such magic on the plate. The white cream surrounding the mousse in its mini-skillet, strewn with chunks of lobster meat and clips of white asparagus, doubled the indulgence.

The creamy sauce was so good, in fact, that I was unembarrassed in dragging part of a roll through it.

The rolls, both dark and light, were perfectly fine, but would not have been memorable but for the addictive house-made salted butter served with them.

At this point in the meal, my girlfriend had started to wonder if she could make it through any more courses. No course was large, but the bites were beginning to add up.

Next came a palate cleanser of sour cherry panna cotta, a mini-dish not much bigger than a fifty-cent piece. Our palates cleansed and our sugar receptors primed, I looked forward to round four.

The fourth course, “Age,” was comprised of five cheese options. I had briefly considered ordering a dessert for my fourth course, but opted instead to go with the “Cooneen with Warm Pineapple Bread Pudding.” I do not eat cheese, but I love bread pudding, and bread pudding loves me.

Feeling adventurous, I tried the Cooneen. Never having heard of it, I hoped it might be some sort of innocuous, light, near-flavorless cheese that I could appreciate for its texture. None of those adjectives accurately describe Cooneen, which is, in fact, in the heavyweight division of cheeses in terms of flavor strength. My girlfriend conceded that it was “strong,” though she liked it. She had, on advice, ordered the “Fivemile Town Creamery Ballybrie with Apricot Tart,” and sang its praises.

The Cooneen safely transferred to my girlfriend, I turned to the small, perfect dome of pineapple bread pudding. I will not go to the extreme of saying that this was the Platonic form of bread pudding, but it was one of the best I have ever had: warm, sweet on multiple levels, all of them interesting, and just firm enough to hold its shape on my fork. The crumble of (I believe) hazelnut in the corner of the plate made perfect sense, but the little dusting of cayenne pepper in the other corner seemed counterintuitive until I tried a couple of forkfuls of the bread pudding dabbed in the pepper and found myself enjoying the spicy contrast to the sweetness.

Finally, desserts appeared. My girlfriend’s “Chocolate Cherry Napoleon” came out with a small candle in honor of her birthday. The narrow napoleon consisted of layers of pastry dough, chocolate mousse, and a white cream, topped with pinot noir-soaked cherries and served aside an icy almond-vanilla foam. It was all as good as it sounded, but not as good as my dessert. Evan had, after I asked for advice, nudged me toward the “Blackberry Cheesecake,” and he steered me well. The cheesecake came out in the shape of a small scoop set atop a crumble of crust and balanced on the plate by a small scoop of blackberry sorbet set atop what I can best describe as a berry jam. The cheesecake had a texture only one or two degrees firmer than whipped cream, and its flavor was vivid and tangy.

The meal was, finally, at an end. Or it should have been. But this was, after all, my girlfriend’s birthday dinner, and anyone who has read anything about Restaurant Eve knows that somewhere in its kitchen lives the famous “Birthday Cake.” I had to order one for us to try, even if we could only make room for a bite or two each.

The perfectly round, pink-iced, pink-piped, and rainbow-sprinkled cake came to the table with another candle, which was a nice gesture. The cake, larger than a cupcake but nowhere near the size of a normal cake, was fabulous. It is everything good that anyone has ever written about it and more. It is a distillation of the very best birthday cakes recalled from childhood. The frosting is rich and thick, but not at all crusty or overly sweet. The two layers of yellow cake are unbelievably moist and actually taste so satisfyingly of cake that they could stand alone. Our forks seemed to have minds of their own, and we ended up eating over half of the cake.

We thought that no more food could pass our lips. We could not, however, insult the kitchen by turning away the treats served alongside the check, and I am glad we defenestrated willpower, because the sugar-dusted cube of cherry jelly was a bright note in anticipation of summer, and the pine nut brittle was simply brilliant.

Restaurant Eve hit the right note as to each aspect of the dining experience, including service, timing, quality of ingredients, innovation, taste, and diner accommodation. That my girlfriend and I could be so pleased with the experience despite our food preference constraints is further testament to confident, expansive cooking. It therefore came as no surprise to me that, two days after we tried Restaurant Eve’s Tasting Room, Cathal Armstrong was named Chef of the Year by the Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington (RAMW). Bravo; he earned it.

Restaurant Eve hit the right note as to each aspect of the dining experience, including service, timing, quality of ingredients, innovation, taste, and diner accommodation. That my girlfriend and I could be so pleased with the experience despite our food preference constraints is further testament to confident, expansive cooking. It therefore came as no surprise to me that, two days after we tried Restaurant Eve’s Tasting Room, Cathal Armstrong was named Chef of the Year by the Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington (RAMW). Bravo; he earned it.

I've yet to try the tasting menu at Eve. Your descriptive review has increased my sense of urgency about going. Well done!

I'm taking a friend for lunch at Restaurant Eve next Monday (we were supposed to be at the Majestic on Thursday, but had to reschedule, and the Majestic isn't open on Mondays). We're going to eat in the bistro. I've eaten there once before, for dinner, and loved it. Any recommendations?

I don't know if the nettle soup is still there or if it's too late in the season for soft-shells. Neither of us are organ meat eaters, and she needs to eat food fully cooked for immunity reasons. She loves oysters, and I guess we'll ask whether they're considered fully cooked or not (the online lunch menu doesn't star it as "undercooked," but the dinner menu does).

Oh, and any recommendations for a non-alcoholic (or very lightly alcoholic) cocktail would be welcome, since I see references to their amazing drinks. Someone mentioned a virgin pomegranate and lime drink?

Thanks!

Oh, and any recommendations for a non-alcoholic (or very lightly alcoholic) cocktail would be welcome, since I see references to their amazing drinks. Someone mentioned a virgin pomegranate and lime drink?

When dining at the bar, I ask what fresh fruit juices are on hand, then ask the bartender to make me something with whatever they have, "not too sweet, with a splash of soda water". Haven't been disappointed yet.

I'm taking a friend for lunch at Restaurant Eve next Monday (we were supposed to be at the Majestic on Thursday, but had to reschedule, and the Majestic isn't open on Mondays). We're going to eat in the bistro. I've eaten there once before, for dinner, and loved it. Any recommendations?

I don't know if the nettle soup is still there or if it's too late in the season for soft-shells. Thanks!

Stinging nettle is a spring vegetable, and I don't think it's available now locally. Last Thursday the soup was vichyssoise, and I've also had a delicious roasted tomato soup there very recently. I'm getting tomatoes and potatoes in my CSA basket now, so they are in season locally now and may appear on the menu at RE.

The menus on the website are samples, and may not reflect what is being served now. Rest assured that you will have wonderful choices made from fresh, local, seasonal ingredents for your lunch. I especially recommend any of the house-cured meats. They had steamed mussels on the menu recently, but I didn't notice oysters. I haven't seen soft-shells on any menu for a while now (although my husband spotted some at American Seafood Company last weekend).

Now I'm getting jealous, and I was just there last week!