Restaurant Eve, Old Town Alexandria - Chef Cathal Armstrong and GM Todd Thrasher - Closed Jun 2, 2018

Mr. MV and I enjoyed the Lickety Split lunch recently. Corn veloute (made it at home...not quite as good) and salad with halibut cheeks. Two large pieces of firm fish that were very pan fried and came with a mustard sauce. Incredible as usual.

Ms. Alex and I are contemplating lunch at Restaurant Eve a couple of weeks hence; it'll be our first visit there. I didn't see the Lickety Split lunch on their web site's sample Bistro menu. Did I miss something, or is is simply not mentioned? Do you know if it's available throughout the entire lunch service (11:30-2:30)? Is the dress "code" more casual for the Bistro than for the restaurant or the Tasting Room? Thanks.

Ms. Alex and I are contemplating lunch at Restaurant Eve a couple of weeks hence; it'll be our first visit there. I didn't see the Lickety Split lunch on their web site's sample Bistro menu. Did I miss something, or is is simply not mentioned? Do you know if it's available throughout the entire lunch service (11:30-2:30)? Is the dress "code" more casual for the Bistro than for the restaurant or the Tasting Room? Thanks.

The LS menu changes daily and hourly even (we got the last halibut cheeks-the salad then went to duck confit). There is generally a salad/rissotto/sandwich/soup of the day. Drinks and desserts are also on the menu. Any 2 items for $13.50. The LS lunch is from about 11:30 to 3-ish, and the dress is casual, but I would say smart-casual vs. tee-shirt and shorts casual. The pace is relaxed, so allow time to enjoy.

Ms. Alex and I are contemplating lunch at Restaurant Eve a couple of weeks hence; it'll be our first visit there. I didn't see the Lickety Split lunch on their web site's sample Bistro menu.

Just to make sure you know, the Lickety Split lunch is only available in the bar and lounge. It's not available in the Bistro. Here's a sample menu.

Just to make sure you know, the Lickety Split lunch is only available in the bar and lounge. It's not available in the Bistro. Here's a sample menu.

Thanks so much for the info. I like that the beverages are considered an "item."

Can I note that the "Birthday Cake" on the menu is great. It is not a piece of birthday cake but a small round little cake with pink icing and multi-colored sprinkles. It just makes you happy to look at because it isn't hoity-toity it is the kind of cake your Mom would have made for your birthday (but mini-sized); however, the cake is light and fluffy, but perfectly moist and the icing was very tasty not too buttery or fatty, not too sweet, but rather sweet.

I also really liked the Irish BLT which has sliced pork instead of bacon, but was great. I also had some of Hubby's pulled pork sandwich and that was delicious. I wish I could make it to lunch here more often it really is wonderful.

Went to Eve yesterday for the Lickety Split lunch. I won't comment on the food but to say it was delicious as usual. What I did want to comment on is one thing that I think makes Eve special -- the amount of knowledge the staff has about the food being offered. A woman sitting next to me at the bar asked the bartender what "XYZ" was (can't remember the name). He replied "Madame, it's a type of cow". At most restaurants, that would be the last you'd hear of it. Not at Eve though. The conversation continued "type of cow popular in the 1940s....creative animal husbandry....England....about 194 of them in the U.S. today". Um, wow. And then, to top it all of, she asked what these cows looked like. "A tan animal, perhaps a bit darker than tan, and it has white tufts of hair." :rolleyes:

This is what I love about Eve. You can really trust the staff to know the food, to guide you in the right direction, and not laugh at your crazy questions. I need to come up with something better than the cow question next time I go...

Went to Eve yesterday for the Lickety Split lunch. I won't comment on the food but to say it was delicious as usual. What I did want to comment on is one thing that I think makes Eve special -- the amount of knowledge the staff has about the food being offered. A woman sitting next to me at the bar asked the bartender what "XYZ" was (can't remember the name). He replied "Madame, it's a type of cow". At most restaurants, that would be the last you'd hear of it. Not at Eve though. The conversation continued "type of cow popular in the 1940s....creative animal husbandry....England....about 194 of them in the U.S. today". Um, wow. And then, to top it all of, she asked what these cows looked like. "A tan animal, perhaps a bit darker than tan, and it has white tufts of hair." :rolleyes:

This is what I love about Eve. You can really trust the staff to know the food, to guide you in the right direction, and not laugh at your crazy questions. I need to come up with something better than the cow question next time I go...

Yes, the last time I had dinner at Eve, I left with a hand-written list of "must read" books from the impressively knowledgeable and unmistakably passionate server. It was one of those rare meals that translates into a better life through ongoing learning.

Back to my reading...

“The gluttons were nestled all snug in their beds; While visions of sweetbreads danced in their heads…”

Last night, made the wise decision to catch an early dinner at Eve Bistro before an Irish music event. (At the Lyceum—a Sunspot Promotions production—well worth checking out their events if you are a Celtic or roots music fan.)

Yes, Eve is a firmly established presence on the DC culinary radar screen. But after last night, I simply have to give another bellowing shout out to Chef Cathal’s sweetbreads. Crispy, harmoniously seasoned pillows of unctuous impossibility atop creamy corn and tasso ham. Grilled Johnny cakes offered ideal texture contrast and elevation.

Pickled anything is always good here, and last night’s beets were no exception. Perfectly warmed, garnished with micro-minced chives, this separately ordered side dish portrayed a shock of deep pink with a bubbling pinprick of earthy, acidic resonance.

When I booked the reservation, I briefly mentioned my post-dinner destination to prevent potential schedule conflicts. As we arrived, the host team and server both acknowledged the time commitment. On our way out of the restaurant, several other staff with whom we had never even spoken wished us a good time at the show. It’s these small touches which demonstrate exceptional coordination and hospitality excellence.

But those sweetbreads, oh the mastery. Yes, others have said this, but it bears repeating. If you’ve been reluctant to order, or unimpressed by, sweetbreads in the past, this is the place to spin your beliefs into profound appreciation.

Dreamy.

So, someone on another board was looking for an inexpensive place to dine in Old Town and I thought "hey -- the Bistro at Restaurant Eve." And then I looked on line and the menu doesn't list any apps for under $16 or any mains for under $36. Is this bistro pricing? No doubt the food is worth every penny and I didn't really expect that you'd be able to get a 3-course menu for 20 euros, like in an actual French bistro. But still, isn't that appellation, with its implication of solid, moderately priced fare, wildly misleading?

At any rate, I'm glad I looked at the website first, and I'll probably mention the Majestic. At any other suggestions for Old Town?

So, someone on another board was looking for an inexpensive place to dine in Old Town and I thought "hey -- the Bistro at Restaurant Eve." And then I looked on line and the menu doesn't list any apps for under $16 or any mains for under $36. Is this bistro pricing? No doubt the food is worth every penny and I didn't really expect that you'd be able to get a 3-course menu for 20 euros, like in an actual French bistro. But still, isn't that appellation, with its implication of solid, moderately priced fare, wildly misleading?

"Bistro" or not, I wonder about the pricing of some of the dishes. I've had it and it's good, but for a simple dish with relatively low cost ingredients, $16 for the papri chat seems very high. I see there's also a green bean salad right now for $17. If the market there in Old Town will bear it, then good for Eve, and maybe I underestimate their costs, but I've been mainly hitting the lickety-split lunch (where the papri chat has shown up before), which remains one of the best deals around.

At any rate, I'm glad I looked at the website first, and I'll probably mention the Majestic. At any other suggestions for Old Town?

I've spent a tremendous amount of time studying Eve and their group from the outside. I actually used them as a model for a client I had, so this is where I'm coming from when I give this reasoning. I think the term Bistro is confusing in the case of Eve- it's maybe my one minor critique of the group. I think they used the term Bistro to define a certain set of dishes and set it in a different place than the tasting room from a marketing segmentation perspective. The problem, however, is in acquiring the majestic and in opening Eamonn's they find themselves stratifying basically every price point in the food realm, and thus Bistro takes on a new meaning, one defined by price rather than by food. So I don't think it's misleading per se, but I think it's maybe not all that clear.

I've only eaten in the Tasting Room before, and never the Bistro, but my +1 and I both played hookey yesterday and I realized it was an excellent opportunity to get to Old Town for the Lickity Split lunch (always wanted to go, but working downtown has made it near impossible). After yesterday, I can't wait to call in sick and do it again.

We got there around 11:45 to beat the potential Friday crowd and sidled up to the bar. The bartender was very attentive and extremely knowledgeable about the menu. Although we didn't have any drinks, it was fun to watch him whip up some of the custom cocktails on the bar menu. The warm bread and soft butter brought out to start the meal were delicious, and they do a great job of coming by frequently to see if you want more (which I did with my soup).

I started with the Soup du Jour which was a veloute of Kabocha squash with a dollop of cream, some candied walnuts and a few sprigs of cilantro on top. Sometimes I don't like squash soups that are overly thick or overly spiced, but this was the perfect consistency. The sweet crunch of the nuts was a nice contrast to the smoothness. The +1 has the Salad du Jour which was an arugula base with ham hock, cippolini onions, grape tomatoes, apple matchsticks and a ham hock vinaigrette. The few bites I had of this were stellar. I love any sort of salty ham, but this was balanced especially well with the sweet apple and tart dressing. Yum.

Our entrees were the Irish "BLT" (more of a Canadian bacon or cured pork) and the Sandwich du Jour (Polyface Farms chicken breast, breaded and fried with remoulade and baby lettuce), both served with homemade chips and little gherkins. We split these in half to share, and I'm not sure which I liked better. I think I'd actually prefer real bacon to what was on this sandwich (I am a bacon-a-holic), but it was still quite good. And the chicken, served on a soft ciabatta-like potato roll), was moist and tender and not greasy at all. The remoulade added a little creamy tang. This chips were also surprisingly thin and also lacked any residual grease. I'm glad there weren't too many on the plate, cause they were addicting.

This bar lunch at Eve is certainly one of the best deals in the area. When the BLT on the Bistro lunch menu costs $18, you know you're getting a steal with two courses for $13.50.

My brother had some last minute shopping to accomplish in Old Town so I met him for a Christmas lunch in Old Town. We used to always have a Christmas lunch in Davis, WV at Sirriani's to get my Mom's Christmas present of art from there, so it was nice to have a Christmas lunch again. He has never been to Restaurant Eve, but really wants to go for dinner, so I took him for lickety split lunch. We had a short wait, where I saw Mr. Thrasher and asked how long he would be serving the smore drink from Urban Daddy as I have a friend who really wants to try it. He said he had it and asked if I would like one as he would have to warm some parts of the drink up. So I agreed if it wasn't too much trouble.

As a short note- they have really good iced tea. I really like iced tea and to many places it is just generic, but Restaurant Eve has very refreshing, lemony iced tea of which I could have drank pitchers. I ordered the Palaak Chat and the bacon and egg sandwich. I love the Palaak Chat, the spice with the fruit and cream flavors and the chickpeas with a bit of crunchy cracker just make for a very nice little bite to start a meal. I understand that my neither my starter nor entree really pair well together, and especially not with my drink, but oh well I was in an interesting in the last stages of a cold eating mood where you just want to taste something and have some nice flavors and textures. The Bacon and egg and cheese sandwich was great. It was rich with wonderful flavor. So rich I could only eat half, but I loved my half and gave the other half to my brother. I love the pork on this and the BLT in the summer. I tried my Brother's winter salad with shoat (sp?) and it was very good, I like the flavor pairings, it still tasted light. He had the sausage sandwich and I have to say their housemade sausage is excellent. I don't know what exactly they use, but my Brother and I were very impressed. Not only does Restaurant Eve serve great locally sourced foods, but they make many wonderful things in house.

My Give Me Smore drink was excellent and very umm pungent in a good way. It was excellent for a nice Christmas lunch. Very festive. I like the topping of marshmallow that was toasted. And the bartender, I wish I recalled his name was so nice and made our stay really fun. And a big thanks to Mr. Thrasher for making me the Give Me Smore drink and going to all the trouble for me. You really made our day and my brother loved all the food, I am sure he will be bringing his fiance back for a nice dinner sometime. As for me, right now the lickety split is my favorite lunch near my office, I need to make myself walk up a little further to the Majestic, but it is hard to walk by Eve.

So, I am sitting at the bar waiting for my Irish Bacon Egg and Cheese Sandwich and wondering to myself how wrong, possibly sick, it would be to ask for a side of mayonnaise. Hoping to be allowed back in the restaurant, I decided against it. Imagine my delight when the sandwich arrived with a perfectly applied layer of mayonnaise deliciousness.

I like the way they think and wish to subscribe to their newsletter.

Seriously, though, it is amazing how every single detail at Eve--even the ones no one but Cathal, Meshe, Todd and Craig could possibly even be aware of--is not just attended to but thought through to the most mindful, thoughtful and thorough degree.

What an utter delight!

Yes, we all know this already, but it's worth remembering.

Eve's Lickity Split Menu for weekday lunch is a steal. Conversation overheard amongst the bartender and patrons today revealed that Eve was jam-packed for lunch during the Week O' Snow. No one could get to work but everyone wanted to get out for lunch. And recently, they speculated, lunchtime traffic has remained at high levels perhaps due to a recent Washingtonian mention.

Today's black trumpet mushroom risotto, followed by papri chat, with complementary "double charcoal-filtered, reverse osmosis, house-carbonated sparkling water" (yes, I asked about its heritage) provided welcome repast. A bar-to-kitchen communication error brought the courses in an unexpected sequence, but not displeasing. Papri chat was a particular standout, a whimsical-yet-focused interpretation that left my fork spinning wanting more. A cold preparation with impossibly fresh garbanzos, an array of brightly flavored chutneys, sliced potatoes, cippolini onion, diverse microgreens, and an unleavened bread that tasted perhaps grain-based rather than the usual lentil-based papadum. Fun and fantastic.

All for under $15, including tax.

How is that even legal?

All for under $15, including tax.

How is that even legal?

My husband claims there are deals to be had in the bistro as well for lunch. He went there Wed and got the Irish BLT for $8, a coworker got something or other for $10. I checked out the website and didn't find any mention of bistro lunch specials.

Anyone know the details?

I'm going to preface this by saying that I have taken my husband to the tasting room once a couple of years ago and had a wonderful experience. Todd was there and the wines and service was fantastic.

I'm on call these days (with our own place) so I seldom have time to escape from Clarendon to go out to dinner. So I was really looking forward to heading there last night for a good meal on my one night off.

We were greeted warmly by the hostess and headed to the bar for a pre-dinner cocktail, which was wonderful.

However the evening took a turn for the worse when we entered the dining room. We sat in the bistro room this time, which was fine on all accounts except that the tiny two-top(next to the fireplace) that sat us at was in ear shot of the dishwashers. So I had to lean in to hear what my husband was saying most of the night because of the pots and pans clanking around.

Service was joyless, slow and also a bit spotty in kind of a knee jerk reaction kind of way most of the night. But, other than the dishwashing noise I was having a pretty good time.

We ordered a bottle of wine and a nice young lady brought it by to show it to us, and took it to the back to open it, which I thought was odd. I have been taught to always open a bottle in front of the customer. So she returns 5 minutes later with the open bottle (foil at the top mutilated) and pours me a sip and I taste it (mind you I have a cold, so I ask my husband if he minds tasting it as well...and I didn't think it was corked I just wanted him to try it and she jumps in immediately to say she had tried the wine in the back and it was fine. Then she pours him a sip and he likes it, then she insists on decanting it, which I said wasn't necessary (2007 Tablas Creek from Paso) but she takes off with the bottle nonetheless.

The night came to a screeching halt when our entrees arrived. The food runner stood there for a moment(as if to insinuate - can I bring you anything else), so I kindly asked if they were going to bring a side of risotto that we had ordered with our entrees as well and then the food runner gets this confused look on his face and walks toward the kitchen and is intercepted by our server. The server then approaches our table and jumps down my throat and he says "he only has two hands. Your risotto is coming, he’s only allowed to bring out one dish in each hand, he only has two hands". The tone in his voice was so rude that we just asked for a check and we left without touching our entrees.

That server (I should have gotten his name, but I was close to tears and walked towards the front door) ruined not only a rare night out for us, but on top of it all it was also my birthday last night as well. We should have just stayed in Clarendon. My husband said they didn't charge us, but it didn't really matter to me at that point because the damage had been done.

I'll never go back….ever. ;)

As the server in question, I would like to first apologize that I offended you. I do not believe giving my version of events will make anyone feel better about our encounter. I made an error in judgement, it's as simple as that. My comments at the table were an attempt at humor, but I realize they were not funny at all.

I would like to make clear that my behavior was completely atypical of Restaurant Eve employees. Our managers emphasize kindness, friendliness and care. We are trained to treat our guests with the utmost respect, to coddle them and make each person feel special. In fact, every single preshift meeting ends with one of the managers saying, "Have a nice shift. Be kind to our guests."

Restaurant Eve recognizes that the guests are spending a large sum of money for dinner, often for special occasions. In response, we as servers are taught to spend unreal amounts of time and effort to make sure that every detail is perfect -- from ironing the tablecloths, to never presenting a corked bottle of wine. This dedication includes carrying one plate per hand both to and from the table. We do not want to belittle any dish by stacking something on it. I am sorry I did not communicate this style of service effectively to you, and I am humbled by your disappointment.

Never before at Eve have I recieved even a minor complaint, and I will use my interaction with you to grow and make sure it never happens again.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I have taken my husband to the tasting room once a couple of years ago and had a wonderful experience. Todd was there and the wines and service was fantastic.

I'm on call these days (with our own place) so I seldom have time to escape from Clarendon to go out to dinner. So I was really looking forward to heading there last night for a good meal on my one night off.

We were greeted warmly by the hostess and headed to the bar for a pre-dinner cocktail, which was wonderful.

However the evening took a turn for the worse when we entered the dining room. We sat in the bistro room this time, which was fine on all accounts except that the tiny two-top(next to the fireplace) that sat us at was in ear shot of the dishwashers. So I had to lean in to hear what my husband was saying most of the night because of the pots and pans clanking around.

Service was joyless, slow and also a bit spotty in kind of a knee jerk reaction kind of way most of the night. But, other than the dishwashing noise I was having a pretty good time.

We ordered a bottle of wine and a nice young lady brought it by to show it to us, and took it to the back to open it, which I thought was odd. I have been taught to always open a bottle in front of the customer. So she returns 5 minutes later with the open bottle (foil at the top mutilated) and pours me a sip and I taste it (mind you I have a cold, so I ask my husband if he minds tasting it as well...and I didn't think it was corked I just wanted him to try it and she jumps in immediately to say she had tried the wine in the back and it was fine. Then she pours him a sip and he likes it, then she insists on decanting it, which I said wasn't necessary (2007 Tablas Creek from Paso) but she takes off with the bottle nonetheless.

The night came to a screeching halt when our entrees arrived. The food runner stood there for a moment(as if to insinuate - can I bring you anything else), so I kindly asked if they were going to bring a side of risotto that we had ordered with our entrees as well and then the food runner gets this confused look on his face and walks toward the kitchen and is intercepted by our server. The server then approaches our table and jumps down my throat and he says "he only has two hands. Your risotto is coming, he’s only allowed to bring out one dish in each hand, he only has two hands". The tone in his voice was so rude that we just asked for a check and we left without touching our entrees.

That server (I should have gotten his name, but I was close to tears and walked towards the front door) ruined not only a rare night out for us, but on top of it all it was also my birthday last night as well. We should have just stayed in Clarendon. My husband said they didn't charge us, but it didn't really matter to me at that point because the damage had been done.

As the server in question, I would like to first apologize that I offended you. I do not believe giving my version of events will make anyone feel better about our encounter. I made an error in judgement, it's as simple as that. My comments at the table were an attempt at humor, but I realize they were not funny at all.

I would like to make clear that my behavior was completely atypical of Restaurant Eve employees. Our managers emphasize kindness, friendliness and care. We are trained to treat our guests with the utmost respect, to coddle them and make each person feel special. In fact, every single preshift meeting ends with one of the managers saying, "Have a nice shift. Be kind to our guests."

Restaurant Eve recognizes that the guests are spending a large sum of money for dinner, often for special occasions. In response, we as servers are taught to spend unreal amounts of time and effort to make sure that every detail is perfect -- from ironing the tablecloths, to never presenting a corked bottle of wine. This dedication includes carrying one plate per hand both to and from the table. We do not want to belittle any dish by stacking something on it. I am sorry I did not communicate this style of service effectively to you, and I am humbled by your disappointment.

Never before at Eve have I recieved even a minor complaint, and I will use my interaction with you to grow and make sure it never happens again.

Welcome to DR.com. Restaurants are run by actual living breathing human beings, so errors are unavoidable. How you handle errors is a different matter. That was a very measured, professional, and appropriate response, IMHO.

Reading Wendy's post yesterday was difficult for me, and reading this response was perhaps even more so.

I cannot count the number of times in my life that I've tried to make a joke about something, only to have it completely backfire. If there's one thing I've been guilty of many, many times over, it is this. It's always mortifying when it happens, and I have no doubt it will happen again many times in the future. Nearly every time, it's around people who don't know me very well.

This prompts me to write about a visit to Restaurant Eve three weeks ago. It was on a Wednesday evening, and when I left the restaurant, all I could think of was that since Marcel's had been nominated for a (well-deserved) James Beard award for Outstanding Service, than Restaurant Eve should have been as well. I cannot think of a restaurant in the DC area with finer service than Eve. That evening, I thought it was noteworthy how many people were working, and the next day I wrote Cathal and asked him how many people were working that day. His answer? 12 in the back of the house, and 14 in the front of the house, and they were short two people that day. That's 28 people on a normal Wednesday! He wrote me that on a normal weekend, there are 17 in the back of the house, and 17 in the front of the house.

In no way am I questioning Wendy's interpretation of the evening - her post was heartfelt and clearly written with conviction - but having been to Eve 30-40 times, I can say with confidence that this incident is an anomaly, and I absolutely believe jbhuffy when he says it was a misfired attempt at humor. I also agree with B.A.R. about the quality of the response.

Some days it's easier to run this forum than others. ;)

Cheers,

Rocks.

To reply to my own thread. Todd called me this afternoon to apologize. That's all I needed to hear.

It was a nice gesture and heartfelt and I appreciated it. Like I said to preface this post, I have been there and had a wonderful experience before.

Everyone has an off night. Including me. Thanks for understanding and for reaching out. - Wendy

To reply to my own thread. Todd called me this afternoon to apologize. That's all I needed to hear.

It was a nice gesture and heartfelt and I appreciated it. Like I said to preface this post, I have been there and had a wonderful experience before.

Everyone has an off night. Including me. Thanks for understanding and for reaching out. - Wendy

Atta Girl.

It's always nice to have the world's greatest bartender http://voices.washingtonpost.com/all-we-can-eat/spirits/spirits-todd-thrasher-cocktail.html reach out to demonstrate concern for the customer.

My first visit to Eve today (although I've wanted to go for ages). I had hoped to hit the 'Lickedty-Split' lunch w/ a friend, but we got there at noon, & it was already full, so we dined in the bistro. We both got cocktails (I had some absolutely perfect rum drink w/ tamarind & she was more adventurous & got something w/ cynar & pickled apples). We split an app of the papri chat (which was REALLY good), I got the seafood chowder (great, but a little salty) & once again, she was adventurous & tried the sweetbreads (I had a taste & quite liked it). We were both too full for dessert, & while it was a bit more than I would usually spend for lunch, it was totally worth it-it was nice escaping the '+ kids' dining, I felt like such a grownup, the service was excellent, & it was great to catch up with a friend in a relaxed atmosphere. I'm definitely going back (I'll be there a bit earlier for the bar) & kudos to the staff, for making us feel pampered...

After an unnecessarily long decision-making process, I chose to take visiting family to Eve's Bistro for father's day weekend. This was a pretty big step for me, as I usually only leave the city to go to the airport, but I'd been to Eve once, to the bar, and it was spectacular. But after a second visit I'm distressed to say that I doubt I'd cross state lines again for it.

We weren't seated for 20 minutes after our reservation time, which is kind of a bad way to start out the night, but certainly not any kind of fatal flaw; these things happen! But then things kept piling up. We got water shortly after being seated, but we weren't even asked for a drink order for 20 minutes, and the only acknowledgment of our wait was our server's opening line to us, "Sorry. Can I get you a cocktail to start?" (Had we been able to flag anyone down sooner, trust me, we would have.) We got the cocktails about 15 minutes later. (I know the specialty drinks there--which are excellent--take some time to make, but I would think that maybe after seating a reservation very late and then not taking their order for quite a while that we might have gotten pushed to the front of the bartender queue.) The sommelier was very helpful, recommending terrific bottles to go with our eclectic orders (but when she said about one wine, "Oh no, don't order that one; I really don't like it," I had to wonder why it was even on the menu).

The crab cake appetizer was just stunning; I have no earthly clue how they can get that much explosive, nuanced crab flavor into those little nuggets. The steak tartar too. Homina. Tartar is not one of my favorite dishes, but I swear I could bathe in this stuff. As for the mains, dad's steak was delicious, and brother's veal was lovely, though room temperature and clearly not meant to be. But my fish and the accompanying potato cake, while piping hot, were overwhelmingly salty. Checking for objectivity, I gave out tastes, and brother said, "Whoa. Oh yeah. That's definitely send-back-able." Which I never do, but I did here (once I flagged down the waiter, who was a bit MIA all night). On the new dish, the potatoes were surprisingly exactly as over-salted as they were before, and the fish, which I was expecting to be unseasoned as dry toast, was still uncomfortably salty.

Desserts and cheeses were very nice. We had to ask for our water to be refilled throughout the meal.

So what does that leave me with? I don't know. Disappointment. I think that something had clearly gone wrong that night (maybe a staff no-show?) because there were four or five unbussed tables when we were seated and they stayed that way for a good 30-40 minutes. And maybe the fish and potatoes were oversalted when they were prepped so that went under the radar. And maybe I should have talked to a manager, but as the host, I was embarrassed and saw no way to do that without making my guests feel uncomfortable, plus which I generally hate confrontation and my sending the fish back just seemed to cause enough discomfort at the table and annoy the server anyhow. And why did no one seem to care about any of these issues, as the only recognition was the "Sorry" when we ordered drinks?

Well. I guess I can just keep on staying in DC now. :)

"You can take the man out of Ireland, but you can't take Ireland out of the man."

I stopped into the bar last night for a couple pints of Guinness (*), and seeing as though I hadn't had anything to eat all day, I broke down and got a Plate of Seven Cheeses ($21) with all the condiments. Included was my new mistress, Cashel Blue.

(*) It was interesting to compare the Guinness poured at Eve with what I'd just had in Ireland - I did a fierce comparison of various pubs and taps over there, and the results were surprising to me. Some were (by far) the best I'd ever had; others were no better than you can get here (including a bitter, too-cold pint at the world-famous Mulligan's). Most interestingly, there was a lot of variation even within the same pub - many of Dublin's larger pubs have multiple bars, and even within a single bar, I saw as many as four different Guinness taps. Takeaway: A pub's reputation did not equate to a good pint of Guinness.

Cheers,

Rocks

Still an absolute delight, and my most recent Lickety-Split lunch was not only as refined as ever, but also well-paced. A year or two ago, I had cut back simply because the wait was becoming longer than my lunch schedule could stand, perhaps a side-effect of reaching the top of the DC dining scene.

One minor, minor request Meshelle: perhaps the window treatment - specifically the lack thereof - in the upstairs gent's room could use a rethink? It's weird enough that the door opens directly onto the first porcelain convenience, but the room lacks, uhhhh, modesty. Kind thanks.

Based on:

* a level of service unmatched anywhere in the Washington, DC area

* employee retention, and consensus respect from former employees

* an atmosphere that pays attention to details that food-hogs overlook

* a groundbreaking drinks program that has maintained its excellence

* support for local farmers, and sourcing only the very best ingredients

* culinary standards that have gotten higher and higher over the years

* an incredible meal on Monday where I received extra attention, but

* a second, unannounced visit last night which was every bit as great:

For the first time in its six and a half years, The Bistro at Restaurant Eve has been raised to bold in the Dining Guide. It is absolutely one of the best restaurants in town right now (with the caveat that it is also one of the most expensive).

Cheers,

Rocks

In case that guy working your table next week looks a little familiar...

But Wabeck could also help Meshelle and Cathal Armstrong launch their own wine label, if the owners decide to move forward with that plan. They’ve been flirting with the notion of working with a Virginia winery to produce a house label for Restaurant Eve.

Really, I thought it might have been mentioned here.

I didn't see this upthread, so I thought I'd mention that the Lickety Split menu is now running $14.98 for two items.

As a first introduction to the restaurant's capabilities, I have to say that lunch was absolutely perfect and we're now dying to try out the other rooms. The mushroom soup (hen-of-the-woods veloute) and the sandwich (a pile of pulled/shredded veal shoulder, dripping with juice, and dressed wtih pink radish-pickle and garlic aoli?) were wonderful, beautiful, and filling. I wanted to add on the birthday cake (since the meal was the kickoff to birthday week) but couldn't because I was stuffed! The bread is definitely worth eating, the service is attentive, gracious, and friendly, and the space itself is charming. It's been a while since a first meal at a new place affected us so strongly, but we honestly loved the whole experience. I can't wait until my next chance to play hooky so I can try more of the menu.

Last Friday night, for the second time in a month, I picked my wife up at DCA and sped down to Restaurant Eve. And once again we were lucky, after a short wait, to snag two seats at the lovely bar. I absolutely adore eating here and would likely eat here as often as I do at Palena (by far the restaurant I frequent most besides my own) were it not for the shlep from Cabin John and my penchant for libation overindulgement during dinner. But if I am anywhere near Alexandria I'm gonna find my way to Eve. I don't believe there is a restaurant that does it better, at every level - food, drink, atmosphere, hospitality - than Restaurant Eve. There is no place in this area I would rather be to celebrate a special evening than the Tasting Room, and no place I would rather be for a casual bite than Eve's warm and welcoming bar (save for my beloved Palena). This particular night we started, as I normally do, with Chef Armstrong's steak tartare (Pineland Farm) - the best preparation of this classic that I have ever eaten. We followed this with the deviled eggs - also the best I have ever had. Then 2 exquisite mini lobster rolls, prepared without a trace of mayo. For our main course we passed on what looked to be a sensational prep of sturgeon for a bowl of creamy risotto with the first white truffles of the season, applied generously by the great Todd Thrasher (see photo attached). Though I was told Chef Armstrong was in Disneyland, I never would have known it as the kitchen did not miss a beat. No isolated experience, this visit mirrored the perfection of our dinner 3 weeks earlier and virtually every other visit here. We washed these delights down with a sublime Thrasher concoction and a bottle of 01 Muga Rioja Prado Enea from Eve's sensational wine list, which is suprisingly rich with Spanish gems. Simply spectacular - the residents of Alexandria are extraordinarily fortunate to have such a comforting world class restaurant in their backyard.

post-627-000298800 1290177665_thumb.jpg

The sommelier was very helpful, recommending terrific bottles to go with our eclectic orders (but when she said about one wine, "Oh no, don't order that one; I really don't like it," I had to wonder why it was even on the menu).

I am going to write more about our last visit at later date but that quote sheds some possible light to my experience with the same assistant sommelier...

When I go to Eve I know there is not a single bottle of wine on the list for me. I go for the food and wish VA changes their corkage law as I look at the list. We told the assistant sommelier our entrees for the table and she highly recommended a wine as one of her favorite bottles [which she just recently had] plus it should work with all four different entrees. She presented the bottle to the table and then walked to a "workstation" where she opened it. She also poured herself half a glass. She came back to the table and did the usual get the customers acceptance before pouring for all. When she finished pouring she went back to the workstation and did not taste the wine but instead threw it back! She did not report back to the table her impression of the wine.

I am not sure what I would have done if it were a series bottle of wine. I was with my wife and another couple and the experience was already heading south at the point so why add more negatives to the evening by confronting her.

I honestly do not know the sommelier’s etiquette to serving wine. I do not know if she entitled to the wine because of her position. I have never had a bottle leave the table at any other establishment. I would think common sense would dictate if there is roughly 4 to 5 good pours per bottle than all of it should be used to serve a table of four.

I am going to write more about our last visit at later date but that quote sheds some possible light to my experience with the same assistant sommelier...

When I go to Eve I know there is not a single bottle of wine on the list for me.

Honestly? Is it price or the actual selections?

Honestly? Is it price or the actual selections?

Selection, I only like a few things and honestly wish I like more but I do not. I took the WSET intermediate class about four years ago to expand my horizons which actually narrowed them even more!

Their mark up on the bottle is fairly typical. I paid $62 for a bottle that retails at my local VA shop for $28.99 which means Eve paid roughly $18....

She presented the bottle to the table and then walked to a "workstation" where she opened it. She also poured herself half a glass. She came back to the table and did the usual get the customers acceptance before pouring for all. When she finished pouring she went back to the workstation and did not taste the wine but instead threw it back! She did not report back to the table her impression of the wine.

I am not sure what I would have done if it were a series bottle of wine. I was with my wife and another couple and the experience was already heading south at the point so why add more negatives to the evening by confronting her.

I honestly do not know the sommelier’s etiquette to serving wine. I do not know if she entitled to the wine because of her position. I have never had a bottle leave the table at any other establishment. I would think common sense would dictate if there is roughly 4 to 5 good pours per bottle than all of it should be used to serve a table of four.

This is a common practice at the fine dining restaurants. The person in charge of the wine, presents the bottle for the customer`s approval, goes in the back and opens it( this really helps if the cork breaks and for the decanting the sediments or if the cork is a tight one), pours a sip to taste and smell the wine to check if the wine is corked or simply a bad wine( by the way, I know the training at Eve, nobody pours a half glass it is only a sip, I assume this is just an exaggeration you mentioned) and brings it back to the table for the customer`s taste approval.

There are many restaurants do this kind of service and I believe it is the way it should be done at the high end/fine dining restaurants. Just to mention few restaurants who do this besides Restaurant Eve, Corduroy, Per SE in NYC, Charlie Trotter`s in Chicago, Melisse and Patina in LA are few. I am sure Mark Slater would know more of this.

So you shouldn't be worried about the wine service you had at Eve, It is a great way to do it. Just try to get used to it.

Not an exaggeration hence the reason I am writing it.

This is the only place ever in world wide travels that I have encountered to do this. I have been to Trotters and Corduroy and each time I have always had the bottle opened at the table.

It was such a young bottle with obvious tannins it really should have been decanted - that is the advice I would have expected to hear from a professional's taste...

Not an exaggeration hence the reason I am writing it.

This is the only place ever in world wide travels that I have encountered to do this.

Well I am not sure where in your world wide travels you have eaten but I can assure you this practice is widespread at fine dining establishments throughout the world. Moreover, at several restaurants i have been to in the U.S. and the Europe, including, for example, the French Laundry, Eleven Madison Park, and Per Se, they will not even leave the bottle on the table after opening it (away from the table), instead returning with the bottle or decanter to fill your glass as the need arises.

I have eaten at Eve many times and observed Mr. Thrasher and both his assistant soms at work. Like Todd, they follow the routine of presenting the bottle, opening within view of the table, tasting to confirm that it is without defect, seasoning the glasses, and serving. I was not there with you so I have no choice but to take what you say at face value. But I wish there was a video because sight unseen I would bet my $1000 to your $100 that the assistant som poured closer to 1 ounce than the 3 ounces you claim.

Eve has an extensive list - one of the best in the the DC area, and the best I have seen in Virginia this side of the Inn at Little Washington. So when you say there is not a single wine on their list you can drink I am wondering exactly what varietals and regions appeal to your palate. Please share with the group - I think after so damning a criticism we are entitled to know specifically what it is that you do drink.

Your pricing analysis is also off base. You assert that Eve is marking wine up 3.5X (62/18). That is wrong. I am very familiar with wholesale prices and in my experience Eve's markup is in the 2.5X range. And your local store, facing competition from Total Wine and the web, is likely working on a 20-25% mark up, not the 60+% you claim . Eve's list is quite fairly priced, especially when compared to area restaurants of its caliber. Though in point of fact there are only one or two area restaurants that actually are of Eve's caliber.

Well I am not sure where in your world wide travels you have eaten but I can assure you this practice is widespread at fine dining establishments throughout the world. Moreover, at several restaurants i have been to in the U.S. and the Europe, including, for example, the French Laundry, Eleven Madison Park, and Per Se, they will not even leave the bottle on the table after opening it (away from the table), instead returning with the bottle or decanter to fill your glass as the need arises.

I have eaten at Eve many times and observed Mr. Thrasher and both his assistant soms at work. Like Todd, they follow the routine of presenting the bottle, opening within view of the table, tasting to confirm that it is without defect, seasoning the glasses, and serving. I was not there with you so I have no choice but to take what you say at face value. But I wish there was a video because sight unseen I would bet my $1000 to your $100 that the assistant som poured closer to 1 ounce than the 3 ounces you claim.

Eve has an extensive list - one of the best in the the DC area, and the best I have seen in Virginia this side of the Inn at Little Washington. So when you say there is not a single wine on their list you can drink I am wondering exactly what varietals and regions appeal to your palate. Please share with the group - I think after so damning a criticism we are entitled to know specifically what it is that you do drink.

Your pricing analysis is also off base. You assert that Eve is marking wine up 3.5X (62/18). That is wrong. I am very familiar with wholesale prices and in my experience Eve's markup is in the 2.5X range. And your local store, facing competition from Total Wine and the web, is likely working on a 20-25% mark up, not the 60+% you claim . Eve's list is quite fairly priced, especially when compared to area restaurants of its caliber. Though in point of fact there are only one or two area restaurants that actually are of Eve's caliber.

Excellent Response.

I initially thought that the objection to the wine list was due to price. However, a quick perusal of Eve's current wine list online shows 67 750ml bottles priced $50 or less, many of them less than $40.That is a rarity in restaurants of this caliber and deserves commendation.

Restaurant Eve's Wine List may not be to kmm's liking, and that's his/her valid opinion. But I love it's breadth, scope, and depth, regarding both selection and pricing.

Even Sacred Cows can have an off night.

No one has the exact same experience anywhere.

The piling on is a little intense here...

Really? They are stating facts and asking legitimate questions. Sure the sommelier could have had an off night, but to say that a restaurant like Eve does not have one bottle that they like? Not to mention that they did not report if they even liked the wine that was selected. That sounds a little intense to me.

I mentioned that kmm's opinion regarding the wine list is completely valid; can't appeal to everyone. Most people are kind of curious as to what kmm would like to see on the list that wasn't there.

The comments regarding the need for the tannic wine to be decanted, the large pour for the sommelier and then subsequent return of said wine to the bottle (that, I've never seen!) equally valid. Everyone can (and does) have an off night. And not everyone is pleased with their dining experience (off night or not).

What I really wonder is, why didn't kmm ask to speak to the manager..... :)

Even Sacred Cows can have an off night.

No one has the exact same experience anywhere.

The piling on is a little intense here...

Honestly, this has nothing to do with sacred cows or having an off night. Every restaurant - even the very best - screw up and are legitimate targets for valid criticism. Nor is it my intent to "pile on" and I do I think I did so. Frankly, in my position it is bad business to even make a post like this, as it likely means a lost customer. But sometimes I can't constrain myself.

It is not piling on to point out that kmm is simply wrong about the uniqueness of Eve's wine service and is also wrong about its pricing policy.

It is not piling on to defend a sommelier who is severely criticized (throwing back a 1/2 glass of kmm's wine) when I know that person to be a dedicated professional and who I believe, based on my frequent experience, is the victim of exaggeration. Can I say it didn't happen? - no. Is it reasonable to cast doubt when someone's professional reputation and livelihood are on the line - I think so.

And it is not piling on to simply inquire what the wine preferences are of a poster who criticizes a deep and thoughtful list. I suppose someone can create a preference profile that Eve's list could not satisfy, but its gonna be a doozie of a profile and I am interested, professionally, in knowing exactly what it is.

bet what ever you want. i saw what i saw and it was a very minor issue of what turned out to be a massive let down given past experiences at eve. also i did not see HER take a "taste" of any other bottle. if you read the quote i initially responded to it was in reference to her commenting on what she liked as being possible explanation of odd behavior with our table.

i did have a constructive conversation a few days later with todd and i did not mention most of the minor details but he never followed up so i will write about the experience here when i come up for air in a few days...

as for the pricing. i am 100% certain that i am within a buck or two of the wholesale price they paid. when you hear the 2-3.5 range it is on retail not wholesale. a very common practice and the one one eve followed on that bottle was 2x retail + $5.

i never said it was a bad list just one that does not appeal to me.

for the record i want to love eve and will go back!

bet what ever you want. i saw what i saw and it was a very minor issue of what turned out to be a massive let down given past experiences at eve. also i did not see HER take a "taste" of any other bottle. if you read the quote i initially responded to it was in reference to her commenting on what she liked as being possible explanation of odd behavior with our table.

i did have a constructive conversation a few days later with todd and i did not mention most of the minor details but he never followed up so i will write about the experience here when i come up for air in a few days...

as for the pricing. i am 100% certain that i am within a buck or two of the wholesale price they paid. when you hear the 2-3.5 range it is on retail not wholesale. a very common practice and the one one eve followed on that bottle was 2x retail + $5.

i never said it was a bad list just one that does not appeal to me.

for the record i want to love eve and will go back!

Ok, but I too am curious as to the wine you like that Eve does not have.

I was not there with you so I have no choice but to take what you say at face value. But I wish there was a video because sight unseen I would bet my $1000 to your $100 that the assistant som poured closer to 1 ounce than the 3 ounces you claim. ...

Who are you going to believe? Me or your own lyin' eyes?

Ok, but I too am curious as to the wine you like that Eve does not have.

A shallow and snide person might suggest "Virginian," but I'd like to think I'm more mature than that.

I, too, am curious as to what wines kmm drinks that can't be found on Eve's voluminous list. Also, a hint as to what the wine actually ordered would, would go far to settle the markup question. Finally, is Thrasher still doing the cocktail match with the tasting menu? Possibly a compromise can be found.

What I really wonder is, why didn't kmm ask to speak to the manager..... :)

Any number of reasons.

I was with my wife and another couple and the experience was already heading south [emphasis added] at the point so why add more negatives to the evening by confronting her.

I find this passage almost as curious as the Case of kmm's Curiously Constricted Palate.