Restaurant Eve, Old Town Alexandria - Chef Cathal Armstrong and GM Todd Thrasher - Closed Jun 2, 2018

Todd Thrasher's got a new juicer!

We found that out when he offered us small glasses of his newest creation as a palate cleanser after our venison last night. I think the cocktail is called "Andrea's Carrots": carrot juice (Davoncrest carrots), tangerine juice, Lillet, coconut rum, rosemary simple syrup, and a granite made from the two juices. Although I usually eschew cocktails in favor of wine, this was definitely something I would order before or during a meal.

This was our first visit to the Tasting Room. We had the best table in the room, tucked in the corner next to the fireplace. We had a great view of everything, but we could still carry on a conversation. I found out this morning that Camille-Beau took over that table after we left (we had the 5:30 seating; they had the 9:30). We chose the 9-course Chef's Degustation, which was indeed a great deal of food, but about the same quantity as other similar menus.

I won't belabor the details of the menu, as those are mentioned upthread. Mr. S clearly enjoyed last night's dinner--he talked about returning to try the 5-course menu and the Bistro menu in the near future--high praise from him!

My third course of foie gras carried a $25 supplement, which only seemed like a lot until the plate was laid in front of me. I got a large cylinder of poached foie, with tokai gelee and toasted brioche with Meyer lemon preserves, and Mr. Thrasher paired that with a glass of the same tokai that was used in the gelee. Our server, Evan, added a few grinds of a special pepper to the plate, which went perfectly with the foie. The tiny Davoncrest microgreens added just enough tang--who would think little baby greens just sprouting their second set of leaves would have so much flavor? Mr. S let me taste his potato gnocchi, and I thought they were wonderful, too.

The freshness of all the ingredients serve to showcase Chef Armstrong's skill and creativity. The black sea bass had been line-caught on Thursday. The fresh baby asparagus (the size of matchsticks) on top added a bright crunchy note to the clean flavor of the fish. Sweetbreads--one of my favorite things to eat--were set off by wonderfully earthy braised carrots and carrot puree, fresh swiss chard, and house-made (?) bacon.

I loved the mock risotto of potatoes supporting the perfectly seared Diver scallop. The morels with the lovely rare venison were bright and earthy (OK, I'm running out of modifiers).

Even my cup of decaf at the end of the meal came in a French press that was pressed at the table. Although I usually drink my coffee black, I couldn't resist the tiny pitcher of steamed frothed milk that came with it. This morning, I'm enjoying a cup of Eve coffee from my own coffeemaker--not quite the same, but a nice reminder.

The service was organized and coordinated. Evan is clearly enthusiastic about the food he serves, and his knowledge of it is most impressive. It's one thing to be able to recite the components of the dish being served, but Evan talked about all the dishes on the menus with affection and familiarity. He told us all about Davoncrest farm, and was delighted that we had read about it on DR.com. Todd Thrasher took time to chat with us about his wine pairing decisions--decisions, by the way, that were spot-on throughout our meal.

Our cheese course was a quenelle of whipped brie de meaux with honey-soaked toasted hazelnuts. Mr. Thrasher brought us two glasses each with that course: a Lustau sherry to sip after bites of cheese and hazelnuts, and a lovely Spanish red to sip after bites of just the cheese.

If Mr. S weren't going to be away for most of April, I'd have already made another reservation. I can't wait to go back!

Todd Thrasher's got a new juicer!

We found that out when he offered us small glasses of his newest creation as a palate cleanser after our venison last night.  I think the cocktail is called "Andrea's Carrots"

Boy, that was fast. Friday night, they were still soliciting name ideas!

I thought about suggesting "Vitamin C Bomb", but my thoughts were clearly influenced by a desire to get over last week's annoying respiratory bug.

I would seriously consider buying a time-share in that table.  It's a great one!

Ahhhh, table 103 <_< As for dinner, we had many of the same items so excellently described by ScotteeM. Along with the fois gras, sea bass and venison, one other item worthy of note is the unbelievable Hogshead burger. Apparently all edible parts of the head (keep in mind that not everyone's definition of 'edible' is the same -- this is basically everything but the skull!) are ground into a juicy burger topped with a fried quail egg and served in a toasted brioche bun on a bed of sauteed Savoy cabbage. Really delicious. The John Dory cooked en papillote with very thinly julienned fennel & carrots and a compound butter with several herbs was also one of the highlights. When the packet is opened, the pungent aroma from the variety of vegetables and herbs smells like walking into one of Dave's greenhouses. A tender, buttery and aromatic fish course -- awesome! Creative desserts, outstanding wine pairings (as always) and the new cocktail rounded out yet another excellent dinner. I suppose we'll be back....

Ahhhh, table 103  <_<   As for dinner, we had many of the same items so excellently described by ScotteeM.  Along with the fois gras, sea bass and venison, one other item worthy of note is the unbelievable Hogshead burger.  Apparently all edible parts of the head (keep in mind that not everyone's definition of 'edible' is the same -- this is basically everything but the skull!) are ground into a juicy burger topped with a fried quail egg and served in a toasted brioche bun on a bed of sauteed Savoy cabbage.  Really delicious.  The John Dory cooked en papillote with very thinly julienned fennel & carrots and a compound butter with several herbs was also one of the highlights.  When the packet is opened, the pungent aroma from the variety of vegetables and herbs smells like walking into one of Dave's greenhouses.  A tender, buttery and aromatic fish course -- awesome!  Creative desserts, outstanding wine pairings (as always) and the new cocktail rounded out yet another excellent dinner.    I suppose we'll be back....

Are he hogshead burgers available as a mini-burger plate at the bar?

I wanted to pass along a sincere thanks to Chef Armstrong, his wife, and his staff.

I booked the tasting room for my parents on their 25th anniversary, and although I did not accompany them on their gastric venture, I am so pleased to say that they were absolutely stunned regarding the beauty of the restaurant, the AMAZING service, the plating designs, and the chef’s wonderful creations.

I opted for the nine-course tasting menu, but (as I had anticipated), my father’s mid-western palate was instantly scared of what he faintly remembers as a “tripe dish.” (Cue my response, “to each his own, Papa”) They ended up getting the five-course which, accompanied by the gracious offerings of two extra courses (on the house), was plenty.

Now, you’ll have to excuse the lack of descriptions, but my mother and father have trouble remembering specifics. I did catch that my father enjoyed “the best venison he ever tasted” and my mother had “an amazing lobster bisque.” Other standouts include, a dessert with Meyers lemons described as “extraordinary” and “a great starter.”

I truly appreciate all the staff did to accommodate my parents on their special evening and extend my most heartfelt thanks and appreciation. I know they will be remembering this night for a long time.

DRT:

First, welcome to DR.com.  Second, you need to get yourself down to Eve and sample it for yourself, if you have not been.  And, great first post, keep 'em coming.

For the uninitiated among us, is there a sizeable drop off if you don't do the tasting room, or can one still get an amazing experience for a little less cash in the bistro?

For the uninitiated among us, is there a sizeable drop off if you don't do the tasting room, or can one still get an amazing experience for a little less cash in the bistro?

Consider them 2 separate restaurants. They have different menus and the service is different. For instance, in the tasting room, you have the option of a wine pairing that I don't believe is available in the bistro. Both menus are great. It it difficult to compare the two other than to say that you get the full benefit of Cathal Armstrong's talent in both.

Consider them 2 separate restaurants.  They have different menus and the service is different.  For instance, in the tasting room, you have the option of a wine pairing that I don't believe is available in the bistro.  Both menus are great.  It it difficult to compare the two other than to say that you get the full benefit of Cathal Armstrong's talent in both.

Thanks - sounds like eventually I will have to try them both!

I finally made it to Restaurant Eve for lunch -- and I got to meet Booklovingbabe. Don't I feel silly for waiting so long to go to Eve. If anyone ever wants company for lunch, let me know. I'm in walking distance. Had the Lickety Split lunch: an Eve's Temptation (granny smith puree and Smirnoff's green apple vodka) and the bacon, egg and cheese salad. And a piece of roasted garlic sourdough bread. Perfect for the spring day. But as I was leaving, someone to my left received his pork belly and it looked incredible. I'll have to try it. And the Orange Julius, which apparently involves thyme simple syrup.

I would be the happy person receiving the pork belly to your left. Very good presentation today: crispy skin, moist, almost sweet meat. You could cut it with a sharp wit. It made for a really nice lunch. Also recommended: the creamy nettle soup. A great way to start.

-Beau (of Camille-Beau)

I would be the happy person receiving the pork belly to your left.  Very good presentation today:  crispy skin, moist, almost sweet meat.  You could cut it with a sharp wit.  It made for a really nice lunch.  Also recommended:  the creamy nettle soup.  A great way to start.

-Beau (of Camille-Beau)

Nice to meet you Beau, thanks for the recommendations. I'm sure you'll see me there again, most likely following up on those suggestions.

We were at Restaurant Eve this evening and Chef Armstrong has relatives visting (an aunt if I remember correctly...hmmm, one too many wine pairings) and Eammons is slated to open in late June but I was told to expect July as more realistic.

And on another note, has anyone notice what a great sommelier Ronnie has turned into? A great pairing of wines with dinner tonight.

We enjoyed our second superlative meal in the tasting room last night. I don't have much time to go into details but personal highlights included the ridiculously tasty hogs head burger, loup de mer with white asparagus and a winnemere cheese w/ a beer sabayon, and an excellent shiraz called Brothers in Arms (Thanks Todd)....and a most refreshing 'yin and tonic' to start off the meal

Service was exemplary as usual...until the next time

My wife and I had the Lickity Split lunch yesterday, for the first time. I second (or third, or fourth) all those who have praised its incredible value. For $13.50, I had a bacon, egg & cheese salad and an Irish BLT, both of which were delicious. That was a hell of a lot of food. (Especially considering the bread I kept stuffing in my face.) My wife had the market salad and risotto. Then I had half her risotto. And some of her bread. Finished up by licking crumbs off the edge of the bar and groveling on the floor for stray drops of salad dressing.

We're going to go back for a Lickity Split on my birthday, and I will have the birthday cake. I'm salivating already.

We're going to go back for a Lickity Split on my birthday, and I will have the birthday cake.  I'm salivating already.

The cake is indeed a sucrose bomb. Perhaps a Bomb, even, all lovely and pink with little decorative nonpareils. Although I found it the cake itself to be somewhat dry last week.

The breads, now baked in-house, continue to improve, even if they're not quite yet to the level of what they were using when Furstenberg was actively lording over Breadline. Still I wish I knew how Eve gets such a nice crust out of a conventional oven.

Porcupine and I will be grabbing lunch at the bar a bit after 1 pm today. Because the lickety-split lunch is soooo compelling...

Congratulations Cathal! <_<

Well deserved - I guess you had a good excuse for not being there on Monday night!

It's official: Cathal Armstrong of Restaurant Eve has been named one of "America's 10 Best New Chefs" by Food & Wine magazine.

The award was announced last night in the Big Apple. The 10 lucky chefs will now get a chance to cook -- and play -- at the magazine's popular food and wine festival in Aspen in June. Their mugs will grace the July issue of the publication.

Nettle soup.  So very... green.  Words fail me.  It tasted green - in a good way, like a breath of fresh spring air after a storm, like all the perennials poking out of the ground, like a hit of (creamy and smooth) chlorophyll.  Try it.

What she said - <_< - not sure how to describe this, but it was good and simple and tasty.

I can describe the rabbit loin salad though - it was unbelievably good! A simple mixture of greens, slivers of radish, spring onion, and maitake mushrooms, tossed with a dijon vinaigrette. Two very large rabbit loins completed the plate. I haven't eaten too much rabbit in my day, and I think it's usually been in a stew. These loins were perfectly seasoned and browned; the meat so white it could have been pork. Not the least bit gamey, every bite was tender, tasty, and just right.

I tried two things I've never had before today, and, as usual, they were wonderful. And, as usual, so was the company at the bar!

We celebrated Tripewriter's birthday at Eve last night, and Chef continues to astound! I started with the nettle soup -- sooooo good! Rumor had it that a guest in the Tasting Room actually licked their companion's bowl clean, and I tell you, I understood! It was fabulous. I followed with the Cod Fritters. Before Cathal, this would have been a dish I would have avoided like the plague. However, Cathal has persuaded me over and over that things I don't like, I...do. So I got them -- creamy, fluffy, rich...yum. They were like super, super light mashed potatoes, but better. Oh, yeah. For the main, I had the halibut -- another item to which Chef has introduced me. Amazing. Really. The morels, delicious. The ramps, delicious. The fish -- need I say? -- delicious. The crisp on top? Made me stop talking (!) to savor it. Dessert was a nice little pink cake that almost sent me over the top, sugar-wise. It was accompanied by a scoop of Dairy Godmother ginger custard -- faboo!

Tripewriter will have to write about the wines -- needless to say, Ronnie took very, very good care of us, as did Todd. We love you guys!

On a sartorial note, both Todd and Ronnie made a strong showing in the tie department, but Ronnie won -- a very lovely blue tie with manly flowers -- and a polka-dot interior! Rock on!

We'll be back for Lickety-Split in a couple weeks...can't wait! We've already decided that after we pay for the wedding, we'll be at Eve at least once every couple of weeks, and there was serious talk about renting the house for lease next door! But only if they'd put a door through the connecting wall <_<

I had my first Likety Split today! Actually, it was the first time I've ever eaten in the bar. I was wishing that my afternoon commitments would have allowed me one of their wonderful drink concoctions, or even a glass of wine, but it was water and coffee only today.

Nevermind, I didn't feel deprived for long. I had the Stinging nettle soup and the salad of the day, which was a perfectly cooked (and generous) piece of Rockfish filet on a beautiful salad of spring greens, pickled hearts of palm and julienned radishes with a champagne vinaigrette. There was also warm, freshly baked bread.

I could get used to that sort of lunch! Everything was delicious. The Rockfish was crisp on one side, and wonderfully moist inside, and was set off perfectly by the salad. The portions were satisfying. The service was friendly and pampering--thanks for making me feel so at home, guys!

I'm starting to re-think my intention of trying lots of different restaurants on my day off. Maybe I need to try the Lickety Split again, just to make sure I like it. <_<

I celebrated my actual birthday yesterday with an actual birthday cake as part of an actual Lickity Split Lunch. It was my first Eve birthday cake experience; I was surprised, based only on past photos and descriptions, that the birthday cake was not a slice but a small round cake of its own, trimmed beautifully with some absurdly tasty frosting. (And a candle!)

God is in the details.

When you eat out alot, little things good restaurants do really stand out. A long-standing pet peeve is restaurants serving you really good, fresh, hot coffee and then ruining it by pulling a little jug of ice cold cream (or even lowfat milk! yuck!) out of the fridge to accompany it.

Eve serves coffee with a little pitcher of piping hot steamed milk (I'm not sure if it's whole milk or half and half or cream, actually, but at least it ain't lowfat). Nice.

And the bartender today made me a fantastic lemon-limeade. He actually muddled wedges of fruit with sugar, putting in as much care and love as if he were executing one of Thrasher's famous cocktails. Thank you!

Happy Anniversary to all at Eve.

Are you in the Bistro or the Tasting Room?

Tasting Room. Looks like they have 2 options - 5 course (with choices) or 9 courses (chef's choice)... I'm generally of the opinion that more courses = more better, but feel free to opine based on experiences.

I just noticed that the "Tasting Room" now has its own thread. Justifiably so, I might add. As I mentioned above, the Tasting Room and the Bistro really are two separate restaurants. If one were to nitpick, one could characterize the Bar at Eve as a separate restaurant as well. It has its own menu (the Bistro menu is available as well) and the service is provided by the equally capable bartenders.

Tasting Room.  Looks like they have 2 options - 5 course (with choices) or 9 courses (chef's choice)...  I'm generally of the opinion that more courses = more better, but feel free to opine based on experiences.

Though they may be small, after 5 courses, I'm generally done. I did the 9 course one time and had to be carried home (of course, that could have some connection with the wine pairings). I find the 5 course to be very satisfying especially when coupled with the wine pairings...and I tend to tell the waitstaff to "surprise me" and let them arrange my 5 courses. Haven't been disappointed yet. A fine restaurant that we've been going to since the first week it opened.

We had a nice dinner in the Tasting Room last night. I opted for the 5 course menu, which included the following (in addition to verious canapes, amuse, etc.):

1. Hog's Head Burger -- Pretty much exactly what it sounds like... braised meat from the face of a suckling pig, formed into a patty and pan-fried. Served on a poppy seed roll with braised cabbage and a fried quail egg. Very tasty and an enormous portion for a first course!

2. Butter Poached Lobster with Carrots and Ginger Butter Sauce -- very tender, rich, and succulent. Another sizeable portion - probably 3 ounces of lobster meat.

3. Tripe with Cippolini Onions, a spicy sausage whose name escapes me (Merluga?), and veal jus -- Without a doubt, this was the star of the show. This preparation would make a tripe lover out of anyone.

4. Stilton Flan -- this was the one course that was "just OK." The "flan" was very dense and not as "blue-cheesey" as I would have liked. I should have gone with my instinct and ordered the cashel blue.

5. Lost Bread -- Brioche soaked in creme and rum and cooked on the griddle (similar to french toast). Served with rum raisin ice cream, a raisin tuile, caramel sauce, and golden raisins. Delicious, but not enough of it!

Aside from the good food, we too were impressed by the restaurant's ability to efficiently execute all of the "little things" that make a dining experience special. I definitely see why this place has such a loyal following. Thanks to everyone here for the helpful posts and reviews!