Restaurant Eve, Old Town Alexandria - Chef Cathal Armstrong and GM Todd Thrasher - Closed Jun 2, 2018

The pork belly is always good. Pay close attention to the daily specials. If the sweet veloute is availabe, I would recommend it.

I think Jacques meant the sweet corn veloute, which is magnificent, as are all of the soups I've tasted there.

Enjoy!

Do they call foul if you order two of the same thing for the Lickety Split?

The Soup du Jour is a creamy nettle soup that the bartender likened in flavor to an asparagus soup (a bowl of which I have been dreaming about since the last time a co-worker and I decided to break away from the office for a Lickety Split [read: last year]). Unless my brain is fried from sitting in the sun on the sidelines of a baseball field all weekend, that was not like any asparagus I've ever had. The nettles are brilliant and the garnish of fresh chive is a crisp complement to the mystery flavor in the background of this soup that I couldn't put my finger on...seafood/mussel stock, maybe? Whatever it is that goes into this "simple" bowl of soup, it's absolutely phenomenal!

I though about ordering another bowl for the second choice, but instead opted for the market salad with haricot vert, heirloom tomatoes, beets, a deviled egg, goat cheese and toasted hazelnuts. The perfect snapshot of summer on a plate.

Hopefully it won't be another year until I can break away again for a bit of Lickety Split!

I think Jacques meant the sweet corn veloute, which is magnificent, as are all of the soups I've tasted there.

Enjoy!

Holy crap, you ain't kidding. Went to the tasting room on Saturday and this appeared as part of the Eastern Shore corn dish. Absolutely the essence of corn. Delicious.

I had a pleasant dinner at the bar last night. I started with my usual bacon, egg and cheese salad but departed from my usual meat and potatoes and went with the roasted halibut with summer corn succotash. The fish was roasted to a golden brown crust but was translucent in the center; perfectly cooked. The accompanying succotash had an assortment of fresh summer vegatables, in addition to the corn and paired well with the halibut. A couple of glasses of a nice sauvignon blanc and I was well satisfied.

With our son hitting the three week mark we decided it was time to bring him to his first restaurant and we wanted it to be a good one. Finally had the pleasure of trying the Lickety Split menu at lunch yesterday and even during a RW this has to be one of the best deals in the city. If only Eve was closer to downtown.

I had a stinging nettle soup and a bacon, egg and cheese salad, my wife had the risotto and the Irish BLT - all 4 were fantastic and an absolute steal at 13.50 pp

All--

I am headed to the Eve Tasting Room this evening for a special occiasion (new job after 8 years at the old one). Going with two good friends. I don't, unfortunately have time to read all the comments (I wish I did). Do you all recommend the 5 or the 9 course menu (is 9 courses too much food)? Anything to definitely have?

Thanks

Nashman

All--

I am headed to the Eve Tasting Room this evening for a special occiasion (new job after 8 years at the old one). Going with two good friends. I don't, unfortunately have time to read all the comments (I wish I did). Do you all recommend the 5 or the 9 course menu (is 9 courses too much food)? Anything to definitely have?

Thanks

Nashman

We did the 5 course for my husband's birthday in July (along with the wine pairing) and along with the Chef's little "extras" I can assure you that you will not be able to move when it's over. Outstanding.

All--

Thanks

Nashman

I had the five courser and found the portions to be very small. My wife and I left hungry. We are both very skinny.

I had the five courser and found the portions to be very small. My wife and I left hungry. We are both very skinny.

we've had the five and the nine - the five is more than filling - the nine is great but you do end up feeling a little like the guy in Monty Python :)

depends on what your threshold is for overconsumption on the day

We went to Eve last night on a whim and had dinner in the Bistro. Dinner was very good but it didn't have the "wow" factor I was expecting. And before anyone slams me for that comment, let me explain.

We have eaten at Corduroy fairly regularly this year. Each time we leave feeling completely relaxed, well fed and looking forward to going back. Everything from the service to the food are top notch. At Eve, the service was very good, not stuffy yet very professional. The food was very tasty with one exception. I ordered the King Prawns with risotto and found the risotto a bit too al dente for my taste although the flavor was fantastic. DH go the Monkfish and I'll have to say it was the best monkfish we've ever eaten. But there was just something missing and we couldn't quite put our finger on it.

We pondered whether or not it was the fact that the prices at Eve are higher and when we looked at the overall experience it didn't match up what we get elsewhere for the money. Not saying it was bad but not as good a value for our dollar. Now granted it was our first visit there and if we go back my opinion may change.

I hope nobody thinks it's unreasonable for me to compare our experience at Eve with Corduroy since both places are excellent restaurants and get rave reviews. I hesitated whether or not to even post this but thought I would since it was something I felt needed to be said and who knows, there may be others out there who feel the same way.

I think it's apples and oranges. The cooking at Eve (even the Bistro) has an extra layer of complexity than that of Corduroy. I love both.

A better analogue for Eve would be Vidalia. Vidalia's prices are the same or slightly higher than the Bistro's, IIRC, but both are operating with an extra layer or two of complexity than day-to-day Corduroy.

Though to some (many?) people that level of complexity may be lost. Doesn't mean they are "sophisticated" or even "foodies", just that at some point the level of complexity goes past some/many people's ability to taste that extra complexity. For those people (of which I am more than likely one) the extra cost associated with this level of complexity may be unneccesary.

Had a great meal at the bistro last night. The veal sweetbread (which I'd never had before, and only found out later what it actually is) was excellent, and the fried oysters were an excellent touch. Split a crabcake appetizer, which was also quite good. My only gripe is that the pint of Old Rasputin Imperial Stout that I had to drink was $11. Granted, it's a high-alcohol beer, and one you don't see much in the area, but still....$11? When Bedrock had it on tap, it was $6 a pint (which admittedly, was a steal).

Anyway, beer price aside, Eve is not someplace I can afford to return to frequently, but definitely keeping it in mind the next time I need a really good meal...the tasting menu would be perfect for a special event.

A HUGE thank you to everyone at the Tasting Room last night for giving us a very special dining experience. We had the five-course menu and every bite was delicious. Lobster, tournedos, skate, everything. The wine pairings were especially good -- I didn't catch our sommelier's name, but her choices were fanTAStic. The Sauternes in particular, with the foie gras en croute, was incredible.

The wine pairings were probably the best thing about the evening... up until I was discreetly served a chocolate box with a ring in it. And what I thought was one of the best meals of my life on the occasion of my boyfriend's birthday, turned out to be one of the best meals of my life on the occasion of my own engagement.

Beautifully handled on every level. A round of applause for the team.

I'm taking my girlfriend here for our 2 year anniversary on Tuesday. Any recommendations? I can't decide between the 5 and 9 course menu.

I recommend the 5 course menu, it was actually 7 or 8 courses if you count the various amous bouches that show up at just the right time throughout the meal. I'm a big guy (6'3", 280) and I can't imagine that I would have been able to eat all nine courses.

A HUGE thank you to everyone at the Tasting Room last night for giving us a very special dining experience. We had the five-course menu and every bite was delicious. Lobster, tournedos, skate, everything. The wine pairings were especially good -- I didn't catch our sommelier's name, but her choices were fanTAStic. The Sauternes in particular, with the foie gras en croute, was incredible.

The wine pairings were probably the best thing about the evening... up until I was discreetly served a chocolate box with a ring in it. And what I thought was one of the best meals of my life on the occasion of my boyfriend's birthday, turned out to be one of the best meals of my life on the occasion of my own engagement.

Beautifully handled on every level. A round of applause for the team.

So, did you eat the chocolate box or are you saving it? :) Congratulations.

And what I thought was one of the best meals of my life on the occasion of my boyfriend's birthday, turned out to be one of the best meals of my life on the occasion of my own engagement.
Congratulations to you both on your engagement! Now you'll need to return to Eve each year on the same date to celebrate the occasion :)

Congratulations to you both on your engagement! Now you'll need to return to Eve each year on the same date to celebrate the occasion :)

Sounds like a plan to me! :)

They actually took away the chocolate box at some point... my attention was not really on it after the ring came out. There was champagne also. We did go home with some scone mix and some coffee, since we had two occasions to celebrate.

In the five-course vs. nine-course debate, we had actually been planning to do the nine-course, but the choices on the five-course sounded so good we couldn't resist. Plus, that way, you're eating different things, instead of the same, so you can trade bites. I kept biting into what I'd ordered and thinking it was the most delicious thing I could have gotten... and then taking a bite of what Jonathan had ordered and thinking the same thing. Trading bites, sipping each other's wine, very romantic. You can do that with the nine-course too, I suppose, but I doubt it's quite the same.

Tonight was the first time I had been to eve. All I can say is "wow". A friend of ours just moved back to town after several years of exile in central New Jersey. Her husband and children have not yet made the escape from the Withering Garden State, so she was alone in Old Town. Since she is a stifled foodie, we decided to meet at Eve and see what the hype is all about.

My wife and I arrived early, and say and enjoyed a couple of drinks. With a few exceptions she hates mint, so when I offered a sip of my “Mojito My Way” she balked. I finally convinced her to take a sip. She handed me her Rose, and would not return the glass. It was tough, but I was finally able to convince her to a return trade.

Finally our friend arrived and we retired to the dinning room. First of all, the bread and butter is some to lust for. The feel of the crumb makes it seem that is will be unpleasantly dense and crumply. Looks certainly are deceptive. The crumb was indeed light, and flavorful, and the crust agreeably crunchy. But we debated whether we preferred the wonderful bread, or the savory butter. We never did figure out which we preferred.

For appetizers, I ordered the steak tartare with pumpernickel bread. The meat was fresh and lively, with the zing of pepper bringing life to the dish. However, my wife’s appetizer stole the show. She ordered the evening special, a crab ragout with fried squash blossoms. The lump crab was bathed in a luxurious sauce that was finished with cream, its soothingly sweetness was contrasted by the crunchy, and savory squash blossom. Our guest decided to pass on an appetizer.

For entrees my wife and friend decided to each get one of the specials, I could not pass-up the sweetbreads. My friend ordered the chicken breast. It was succulent, and was wonderfully matched with a perfectly cooked polenta. My wife went for the short ribs, which were off the bone and served over fresh pasta. It was a delightful dish. However, for me the sweetbreads won the night. They were perfectly crispy, and the fried oysters were a delightful briny foil for the richness of the offal. The ham, potato and bitter greens that were served with it were a fine accompaniment.

Time came for dessert, and I was the only one left who had the energy to take this on. I ordered a cheese course, opting for the three Irish cheeses. With this the sommelier (not sure if it was Mr. Thrasher) brought a glass of Madeira. The cheeses were such a delight, that the various accompaniments were almost unnecessary. As for the Madeira, it was almost like eating a piece of pecan pie. The dried fruit was evident on the fore pallet, but the finish was like placing a perfectly ripe piece of pecan on your tongue.

I am sad that we have not visited Eve sooner, however, we will certainly be back before the end of the year, and after tonight’s meal we will most likely try the tasting room next.

Oh Eve. How you taketh and taketh and taketh from Bis.

Our executive sous chef Josh Hutter left us for Eve. We are sad. Eve's the winner. Josh hails from Citronelle, is uncommonly good-looking, ridiculously talented, and more importantly, has unflappable good spirits and calmness in the frenzy of your typical restaurant kitchen. Say hello next time you're there. Good for Eve.

That kabocha squash soup is . . . I can't think of a suitable superlative. It's divine. It's delicious. It's perfect.

It was just right with the salad du jour today: Polyface Farms chicken leg confit over mixed greens with baby potato slices, cool little long slender radishes, and CHANTERELLE MUSHROOMS.

Such a bargain!

We had the 9 course the first time we went and the 5 course the second time. The 5 course should be enough food, and you can select each course (and mix it up a little, even, by substituting something from one course for another). So you could each order different things and get to experience a bit more that way.

The scene: Bar at Restaurant Eve

The drink: "Black Currant Fizz"

The menu description: "Black currants, gewurztraminer and Bacardi rum"

The obvious secret ingredient: A freshly-separated egg white

The not-so-obvious secret ingredient: Rozendal digestive vinegar from South Africa, three years in oak, infused with lavendar, green tea, chili, carob, and god-knows-what-else.

The result: Fantastic!

Why did I wait so long? Oh yea, it's because I work in DC (foggy Bottom) and it's hard to get to and from Old Town within my hour long lunch.

I'm in training here in Old Town from Tue-Thurs, and had promised myself lunch in Restaurant Eve. Today, I went and had the Lickety Split. Restaurant Eve is STUNNING. I felt a little underdressed and slightly intimidated, but the hostess was super nice and pointed me towards the bar.

I had the BLT - which ain't yo momma's BLT, and ordered the Birthday Cake. Fantastic, and incredibly filling - that "bacon" was incredible. It's really more of a ham, with this delicious crust. I'm salivating just thinking about it, and I'm still FULL! The potato chips were perfection, and I could have eaten a bucket of that without a problem. I spent too much time savoring my BLT, and had to pay up in a hurry and walk back. Fast. I was in such a hurry that I forgot all about my cake. Not so disappointing as I've got TWO MORE LUNCHES. I'm so excited.

Even though it killed the crocodile hunter, skate is my new favorite food (esp. when served with cauliflower and bacon).
They were serving a really nice skate salad on the lickety-split menu this week. A sizeable skate filet with radishes, orange, and frisee. A steal!

Recent special in the Bistro and the Bar: 'An Explosion of Foie,' or perhaps it went by a more refined name, but mine is more apt. Two large triangles of Hudson Valley Foie Gras, the size of Texas Toast cut diagonally. This is being sold for twenty dollars, and when you see the amount of foie on the plate you will be very happy with that price. The sardines were back, too.

Mr. BLB and I both scored an early release from work yesterday and within an hour of each other to boot so we headed to Eve for a late Lickety-Split.

The soup of the day was a creamy salsify. Wow! I knew I liked salsify but I didn't know how much. Mr. BLB also gave it a thumbs up and we spent the time waiting for our sandwiches googling salsify since I couldn't explain what it was.

We had the usual Irish BLT and pulled pork which were as good and messy as ever. We weren't hungry until we got to the Chanukhah party at 8:15 and even then, if it hadn't been latkes I think we would have skipped eating.

I NEED to drive into work more often so I can go to Eve more often.

A perfect start to the long holiday weekend!

Tripewriter Eats Tripe

I had the pleasure of eating tripe for the first time last Saturday @ Eve.

My new in-laws treated us to the tasting room (yay in-laws!) and although I was tempted to order a "safer" meat course, I decided to try something new. Plus the menu description promised house-made chorizo as part of the dish. My inner charcuterie hound began straining at the leash.

My impression? In a word, yum. In more than a word: savory, deep flavors reminiscent of a beefy ratatouille. Sweet red and yellow tomatoes, the aforementioned chorizo, and oregano. The honeycombed centerpiece of this dish was seared crisp on the outside, meaty on the inside. Rich and delish.

Reticulum ratatouille. What an offally good idea.

I missed the memo that Eve would be closed this week--tried to go for lunch today. I checked the website before we went, and didn't see any mention of closing. :P
IIRC they are reopening (after several well-deserved days off!) for dinner tonight and I presume lunch tomorrow. I think they'll also have a very rare Sunday opening for New Year's Eve dinner.

IIRC they are reopening (after several well-deserved days off!) for dinner tonight and I presume lunch tomorrow. I think they'll also have a very rare Sunday opening for New Year's Eve dinner.

Actually, according to the recording yesterday, they will reopen starting with dinner tomorrow (Friday). I tried to stop in yesterday and was foiled as well. Just around the corner, the $20 prix fixe (2 course) at La Bergerie was a fine substitute.

So I'm sitting at the bar at Eve, chitchatting, and I make an off-hand comment about my virgin pomegranate and lime drink being one of my fifteen favorite things about the place. And the bartender says, "so what are the others?" So here, not ranked but just in the order I jotted them down on a napkin, is my What I Love About Restuarant Eve list:

Ken and Tammy

Clinton

David

warm butter

good coffee in a French press

steamed milk with said coffee

Lickity Split lunch

virgin cocktails that Ken and Tammy make for me

real (and really wild) cocktails

Chef and the Mrs

Todd

Evan

bacon, egg, and cheese salad

Note that only one thing on this list is a menu item.

Moral of the story: while food is important, it's the people and the details that make a place special.

Lackadaisi and I met up with Lackadaisi's dad and step-mom last night for an evening in the tasting room at Restaurant Eve.

After much intensive thought and a round of hand-crafted cocktails, we decided upon the 9 course Chef's Degustation Menu.

Our evening was filled with course after course of delicious food: ranging from the subltle "OOO" First Course (creamy onions and oysters on a flaky pastry tart) and the fresh spring onion velute to the earthy white tuna with fresh shaved white truffles (not to be missed) and gnocchi (so light for a potato dish - with another topping of truffle - black truffle this time) to the savory venison to the pungent stout-washed cheese with the intriguing guinness sabayon to the incredible flourless chocolate cake with orange blossom ice cream served with a shot of scotch-chocolate to the...well, much, much more! Each main ingredient was identified as to its source (definitely showcasing Chef Cathal's focus on local and fresh ingredients) and then celebrated in its preparation.

But what impressed me most about Eve (and then later at the PX) was the people. Our waiter was spectacular - offering enthusiastic information about our food selections with a real personal interest. Todd Thrasher's wine selections were spot-on (as were our waiter's) and his drinks (at both Eve and the PX) do not need further description by me here. Every host, waiter - every staff member seemed genuinely to care about what they were doing - creating a real community within the walls of the restaurant. You could taste the care in the food and sense it in the service - I cannot think of a better way to have dinner!

On a side note, I must applaud Lackadaisi's resolve on sticking to her "Fit for Summer" diet. When presented with the Foie Gras en Croute option during her Third Course - she chose the gnocchi instead - boldly done Lackadaisi, boldly done... :P