Weekend Brunch around MoMA in Midtown West on Labor Day

Ericandblueboy

10 hours ago, Mark Slater said:

Hop in a taxi and hit Barney Greengrass in UWS.

Oooh that is a name and a blast from the past.  Call me a philostine but l used to prefer the fish spread from a deli in a West Orange, NJ, Tabatchnick’s 

But for an old world experience why not and Tabatchnick’s closed long long ago 😏

Sabbia is decent.  I think I wrote elsewhere that I've never had completely satisfactory meal at a Batali joint.  The menus are usually interesting enough to attract me but the execution isn't at a high level.  To be fair, Batali isn't out to charge the highest prices so maybe my expectation is too high.

On 11/26/2017 at 7:32 AM, Mark Slater said:

Hop in a taxi and hit Barney Greengrass in UWS.

@Mark Slater  Mentioning Barney Greengrass really got me reminiscing and salivating.  I may have had a smoked fish platter in this area 3 or 4 times in the past 10- 20 years, primarily for breaking fast.   When I grew up it was a staple in my household and environment.  For a decade after that it was a treat several times a year.  This area didn't and doesn't seem to do it justice.  I used to have it at Parkway deli.  Parkway was decidedly so so.  Balducci's has been a source for a smoked fish feast at home--I'd get bagels at Bethesda Bagel. I'm not sure of other providers.

Even most deli's in Northern NJ don't carry it for dining in.  I guess people should go to Barney Greengrass.  Its a lost experience.

Consumer Warning:  A large spread is not and has never been inexpensive

1 minute ago, DaveO said:

@Mark Slater  Mentioning Barney Greengrass really got me reminiscing and salivating.  I may have had a smoked fish platter in this area 3 or 4 times in the past 10- 20 years, primarily for breaking fast.   When I grew up it was a staple in my household and environment.  For a decade after that it was a treat several times a year.  This area didn't and doesn't seem to do it justice.  I used to have it at Parkway deli.  Parkway was decidedly so so.  Balducci's has been a source for a smoked fish feast at home--I'd get bagels at Bethesda Bagel. I'm not sure of other providers.

Even most deli's in Northern NJ don't carry it for dining in.  I guess people should go to Barney Greengrass.  Its a lost experience.

Scrambled eggs with onions and smoked sturgeon. Yum

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Slater said:

Scrambled eggs with onions and smoked sturgeon. Yum

Now you have me laughing.  I have no idea about my Dad's income but we used to have significant fish spreads growing up. (for all I know he probably plowed all his money into fish) Once I started paying for it myself I always thought it expensive, no matter how much money I had.  lox and eggs and onions or smoked sturgeon eggs and onions, or other variations cut the fish costs in half.  Ha ha.  I learned that "strategy" and it was still good. 

But the damn smoke fish mavens wouldn't stand for it.  Ha ha.