Stephen Miller's "Cosmopolitan" Remark at a White House News Conference

DonRocks

[Please let me emphasize that this is a non-partisan website, and that any mention of "Republican" or "Democrat," or "conservative" or "liberal," will possibly be deleted, especially if it's a generalization. Also, no personal insults are allowed, although criticism of a person's *actions* are. This thread is about the comment itself, its implications (if any), and anything else closely related to it. Thanks for understanding, and for your responsible participation, Rocks]

As a poster, and not a moderator, I find this comment extremely troubling - you should feel free to watch the entire video to put the excerpt in context:

"The Ugly History of Stephen Miller's 'Cosmopolitan' Epithet" by Jeff Greenfield on politico.com

"Stephen Miller's Tour de Farce"  by James Warren on vanityfair.com

---

My table-tennis instructor speaks perhaps twenty words of English.

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

[Please let me emphasize that this is a non-partisan website, and that any mention of "Republican" or "Democrat," or "conservative" or "liberal" will quite possibly be deleted, especially if they're generalizations.

It's hard to imagine this thread turning political.  :P  That said, and in a non-partisan spirit, I had read that Politico piece and found its factual research illuminating and its implications alarming and horrifying.  Assuming that satire is still fair game, here is a link to Pauly Shore on Funny or Die with his take on Mr. Miller.  For those listening at work, you should be aware that the clip does contain words that some have referred to as "profanity."

• Like 1

Two sets of comments to this thread:  One having to do with the word cosmopolitan and one having to do with Millers response at the 3:30 or so period wherein he reacts to Acosta.

1.  Cosmopolitan:   Where did this word come from when used in the context that Miller might have or could have meant.  Cosmopolitan.  I've never seen or heard of it used in the manner that MIller used it, and had to research it to get a feel for its usage.  Here is one of a number of descriptions.  Evidently I'm not the only one curious about its usage as a number of media sources took the time to describe what Miller could have been referring to.

hmmm.   In my experience different political groups tend to create words or descriptions that tend to denigrate their "opposition" while likewise spreading the word or phrase among their followers.  "Cosmopolitan" as used in this press conference could easily have fallen into this category and the origin and usage of this word by that "group" indeed is sinister.

2.  Miller was either extremely well prepared for Acosta's kind of comment or is so versed in his approach and perspective that he turned the question into an instant Trump type attack on the media.  Actually sort of fascinating to watch his response, with its fluidity and articulateness. 

Overall I find it frightening.  The origin of the word used in the context that Miller evidently meant is just plain ugly. 

• Like 1

I find an unmistakable similarity in tone (condescending, accusatory) and tactics ("The best defense is a good offense") to this video from early June, 2011:

"Flashback: Weiner's Web of Lies" on abcnews.com

From a sheer train-wreck viewpoint (now that the threat has been removed), it's noteworthy how Jon Karl's eyes glaze over at 1:05, when Weiner makes the interview all about "the outrageous implications made by the interviewer," and Karl is taken so off-guard that he almost seems to mentally detach from reality, before regaining his composure later on.

---

Disclosures (which I feel obligated to make as moderator of this community):

* Privately (on Twitter, actually), I spoke out strongly and decisively against this former Congressman when he attempted to reenter politics in 2013.
* Privately (also on Twitter) I have spoken out strongly and decisively against our current President in recent months, and may continue to do so.
* Neither of the above two disclosures has anything to do with partisan politics; rather, both have everything to do with what I view as disturbing shortcomings (no pun intended).
* I am a political Independent, but have family and dear friends who self-identify, sometimes strongly, as being in one of the two major parties (with numerous examples of each).
* Jon Karl is a personal friend of mine, and a member of this website, which is why I remembered and recalled the above video so vividly.
* If more than one-or-two people think this analogy is inappropriate, I will gladly delete this post (just PM me - I'll know soon enough).

59 minutes ago, DaveO said:

Overall I find it frightening.

Me too. Does anyone remember this from back in February? Talk about troubling...

Quoting from Stephen Miller's Wikipedia entry:

"In a February 2017 appearance on CBS' Face the Nation, Miller criticized the federal courts for blocking Trump's travel ban, accusing the judiciary of having "taken far too much power and become, in many cases, a supreme branch of government. ... Our opponents, the media and the whole world will soon see as we begin to take further actions, that the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned.""

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some may think it unfair to go back to Miller's college days for insight, but keep in mind this was only 10 years ago. 

http://www.dukechronicle.com/staff/stephen-miller

Topics include the "war" on Christmas, Hollywood, and the culture wars. There's also an opinion piece on smoking which contains the following gobsmacker:

"With countless dollars and the awesome force of political correctness behind it, the anti-smoking crusade is nearly impervious to truth or reason."