Pool Boy

Jeni's Ice Cream, a Columbus, OH Based Ice Cream Chain - Available at Upscale Grocery Stores, and Now at 14th and U Street in 14UP

4 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

I find that ice creams that are the simplest are the best and hardest to screw up. I am the kind of person that generally does not like stuff in my ice cream - chunks of this and that dough, whatever - it does not belong in ice cream I eat. There are some rare exceptions involving properly very small chocolate bits and even more rare things when I make ice cream at home. Anyway, that is just another reason not to order complicated flavors of ice cream when out. But that's just me.

To keep this on topic, I will say that I sent a Jeni’s 6 pint gift to my SIL who is an ice cream lover and the verdict was too sweet!

I will say that the packaging was great and the dry ice works it’s magic- no melting in transit!

I did enjoy the Frose served on 14th street last fall though- the right amount of sweetness and the right temperature .

I also like my ice cream pure and devoid of things that need chewing.For me, the temperature had to be just right - when the ice cream is just a bit “stretchy” from cup to spoon. My favorite flavor had been Ben And Jerry’s White Russian .. but alas they discontinued that plain flavor and started adding all kinds of additions.

2 hours ago, naxos said:

To keep this on topic, I will say that I sent a Jeni’s 6 pint gift to my SIL who is an ice cream lover and the verdict was too sweet!

That could mean the ice cream had too much sugar, or that ... darling, you simply *shouldn't* have!

clutch.jpg

No ... you asshole ... it's *mink* ... you REALLY shouldn't have!

• Haha 1

I think it was both! Months later the cartons still in the freezer.

On 7/18/2020 at 9:29 PM, susan said:

Interesting that you say that. I was so excited when Jeni's opened in Bethesda. A friend and I went a few weeks ago and we got the Sweet Cream Biscuits and Peach Jam. It was so overly sweet and gross that i ended up throwing it away. Wasn't worth the calories. All of their ice cream flavors look achingly sweet. The lines are long every night, maybe I picked the wrong flavor.

2 hours ago, naxos said:

To keep this on topic, I will say that I sent a Jeni’s 6 pint gift to my SIL who is an ice cream lover and the verdict was too sweet!.

You know, I first tried Jeni's about 2.5-years ago, and I thought it was wonderful; I believe it has really changed since then. It also seems like it has become a *lot* easier to find, and apparently this perceived drop in quality / rise in quantity isn't my imagination:

Nov 22, 2019 - "Here's What's Driving the Expansion of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams, According to its CFO" by Dan Eaton on bizjournals.com

In the article, the CEO claims that "we have not lowered the quality of a single item" - that would not be in keeping with my experience. I won't come out and say "he's lying," because I have no proof of that, so let's just leave it at, "that would not be in keeping with my experience."

Leave it to a suit-and-tie with an MBA to fuck everything up in the name of making another dollar.

33 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Nov 22, 2019 - "Here's What's Driving the Expansion of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams, According to its CFO" by Dan Eaton on bizjournals.com

In the article, the CEO claims that "we have not lowered the quality of a single item" - that would not be in keeping with my experience. I won't come out and say "he's lying," because I have no proof of that, so let's just leave it at, "that would not be in keeping with my experience."

Perhaps there is an unchanged “single item” The trick is to find it.