Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor (Aug 26, 2017) - Welterweight Boxes Mixed Martial Arts Champion

DonRocks

Maybe I'm jaded, but even at 40-years-old, it seems virtually impossible that Floyd Mayweather could possibly lose to Conor McGregor in a boxing match, which is to take place tomorrow night.

I have little doubt that in a street fight, McGregor - at age 29 - would destroy Mayweather, but in a boxing match where you can't kick? No way - it's a completely different skill set, from how you square off against your opponent, to the distance between the fighters, to, well, to just about everything.

This is not unlike the world racquetball champion trying to beat Roger Federer in tennis. It would be *so* much more interesting if it was just a no-holds-barred fight, but Mayweather would *never* agree to that; on the other hand, McGregor is receiving an unprecedented payday for a mixed martial artist, so I'm sure he'll be just fine with being knocked out in the fourth round, given that he'll be making about $100 million from this. 

Hell, I'd fight Mike Tyson in his prime for $100 million. Granted, about 1% of that would go towards my medical expenses, but it would be worth it.

By the way, pay-per-view is $99!

It would be *hilarious* if McGregor said, "To hell with it," and kicked Mayweather in the nuts.

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I wouldn't be shocked if the fight is fixed so that McGregor wins the first fight, and there's a rematch. 

Don't forget that Mayweather is 49-0, and that only Rocky Marciano (also 49-0) has retired as an undefeated champion. Mayweather already has more money than he can count (he's worth nearly $500 million). For him to lose this fight would be for him to lose his legacy, and I don't think he's that short-sighted. Yes, it would mean an extra $100 million tacked onto his net worth, but he'd give up his claim to being "the greatest fighter in history." 

It should be noted that Marciano was a heavyweight.

Mayweather has a serious mouth on him, and is one of the most arrogant people I've seen in the public spotlight - I'd like to see him lose once, but I don't think he's going to lose tomorrow; in fact, I think he might just retire at 50-0 after this fight. If he fought a young, highly ranked welterweight, he'd get creamed right now, but he's too smart to do that.