FIFA World Cup, the Ultimate Quadrennial Soccer Tournament - 2018 Host Nation Russia: Jun 14 - Jul 15, 2018

Tweaked

If the Group F games have close score lines, the group results could see saw back and forth for 2 hours.  The scoring of just one goal could mean diving into the second or third or fourth tiebreaker to figure out who is in or out. Hoping for a fascinating day of WC! 

1 hour ago, Tweaked said:

In Group G play this morning, England makes the case for not expanding the World Cup.  This group was always going to be England v Belgium and after playing their tune up matches they meet on June 28.  

You have to love the reaction of Panama fans after their only goal though.

Last time England didn't even qualify while Costa Rica did from the same group.

Time for conspiracy theory.

It is in the interest of Poland and Columbia to draw this afternoon with lots of goals.  3-3, for example, with Lewandowski and James both earning hat tricks.

Don't see the benefit of either one winning; would the winner realistically hope to advance with a draw in their last game, expecting the loser (who'd be out of the World Cup at that point) to win their last game decisively?

A Colombia beat down of Poland concludes Round 2.  I have no idea what to make of Group H, other than Poland is eliminated.  

Tomorrow is the start of Round 3 matches, filling in brackets, and finding which teams will pair off in the knock out stage.  The quest continues!

The knock out brackets begin to fill up. 

Uruguay tops Group A, host Russia finishes second.

Group B...that's why they play the games at the same time!  Crazy finish to Group B play...Spain down late against Morocco before securing a vital point.  Iran ties it up against Portugal on a VAR penalty review, then they have the break away they need in the dying minutes to win the group no less(!) but alas it's in the side netting. 

Spain and Portugal advance decided by...total goals scored(?)

Uruguay 1A v. Portugal 2B

Russia 2A v. Spain 1B

In Group C, Peru and Australia came out to play, with the La Blanquirroja taking down the Socceroos 2-0.  Scintillating stuff.   Conversely, France and Denmark only needed a friendly draw to advance and draw they did 0-0.  No need to pull a hammy in this one.

Group D. Farewell plucky Nigeria.  Farewell brave Iceland.  

France 1C v. Argentina 2D

Denmark 2C v. Croatia 1D

BOOM!  Our first upset.  The defending champions are out.  This is the third WC in a row that the defending champions have failed to get out of the group stage.  (Germany in 2018, Spain in 2014, Italy in 2010).  With their beat down of Mexico, Sweden wins the group.  Thanks to South Korea, Mexico finishes second, despite their loss.

In the afternoon matches, it came down to a tale of chances:  Brazil took theirs, Serbia did not.  Brazil wins the group, Serbia goes home.  I didn't watch the Swiss v. Costa Rica match, but CR finally got on the board in a 2-2 draw.  Frankly, a disappointing tournament for the Ticos. 

Sweden 1F v. Switzerland 2E (Battle of the Sw)

Mexico 2F v. Brazil 1E (Can Mex get past their round of 16 jinx?)

Mexico dominated possession for long stretches, had decent chances, but it just felt like one of those games where they weren't going to score.  Swedish defense was stout. 

Sweden scored on a kind of busted play, a penalty kick, and fluky own goal. 

Germany earned their loss. They never looked dangerous in the attacking third.

* Spurs are now the leading scoring team at the WC with 8: Kane (5, England), Son (2, Korea), Eriksen (1, Denmark)

* Yes, I know this isn't a stat that's tracked. Just some fannish pride.

6 hours ago, DanielK said:

Germany earned their loss. They never looked dangerous in the attacking third.

* Spurs are now the leading scoring team at the WC with 8: Kane (5, England), Son (2, Korea), Eriksen (1, Denmark)

* Yes, I know this isn't a stat that's tracked. Just some fannish pride.

Last I heard the leading scorer in the WC is own goal.

Here's the standings after this morning's games:

1. Real Madrid 9
  2. Barcelona 9
  3. Tottenham 8
  4. Manchester United 6
  5. Atletico Madrid 5

Spurs need some help to stay level in the first round. I don't think it will come from Kane today - England really wants to lose the game if at all possible. But they have 3 on Belgium and 4 on England, so who knows.

On the final day of Group play, England got the goal they needed to finish second in the group, thus avoiding Japan/Brazil/Mexico/Argentina/France/Portugal/Uruguay.  Colombia topped their group, but now face questions of a James injury.  Senegal, Africa's last hope and most entertaining team, were eliminated on FIFA Fair Play points.  

The brackets are set:

Top bracket

Uruguay v. Portugal 6/30 2pm

France v. Argentina 6/30 10am

Brazil v. Mexico 7/2 10am

Belgium v. Japan 7/2 2pm

Bottom bracket

Spain v. Russia 7/1 10am

Croatia v. Denmark 7/1 2pm

Sweden v. Switzerland 7/3 10am

Colombia v. England 7/3 2pm

Tomorrow we face the cruelest day of the WC...the day with no football. 

• Like 1

I guess my perspective is weird.  I played and knew the game, and think I know it now, but I haven't followed top level soccer in years.  I watched much of the Belgium v. England match yesterday.  Without having World Cup perspective drilled into my head it seemed strange to watch a match played in the world's number one tournament wherein neither team was giving all out;  many top players on both side were being rested. 

Don't like that in a tournament of such consequence.  Every match should matter.  It doesn't make sense to me.   Regardless those were excellent players and frankly I enjoyed the flow of the game with opportunities to score at both ends.  Excellent players played hard.

The goal was a thing of beauty by a highly skilled player with knowledge.  He got the ball in striking distance with only one defender on him;  moved and faked quickly before other defenders could converge, created room and an opening for a shot, saw the goal, saw the opportunities and ripped off the perfect shot at one of the corners.  BOOOM BOOOM

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/video/1266244163912

42 minutes ago, DaveO said:

I guess my perspective is weird.  I played and knew the game, and think I know it now, but I haven't followed top level soccer in years.  I watched much of the Belgium v. England match yesterday.  Without having World Cup perspective drilled into my head it seemed strange to watch a match played in the world's number one tournament wherein neither team was giving all out;  many top players on both side were being rested. 

Don't like that in a tournament of such consequence.  Every match should matter.  It doesn't make sense to me.   Regardless those were excellent players and frankly I enjoyed the flow of the game with opportunities to score at both ends.  Excellent players played hard.

The goal was a thing of beauty by a highly skilled player with knowledge.  He got the ball in striking distance with only one defender on him;  moved and faked quickly before other defenders could converge, created room and an opening for a shot, saw the goal, saw the opportunities and ripped off the perfect shot at one of the corners.  BOOOM BOOOM

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/video/1266244163912

The 1st-place team in that group was destined to end up in what is considered to be the harder Round of 16 bracket.  Going into the game England and Belgium were both headed to the Round of 16.  But they were tied in points (6 each) and goal differential; one of the other tiebreakers put England in 1st.  So to be blunt, England probably didn't mind that they lost and slipped to 2nd place.  Not that they should think that they're on the easy train to the final.

The last 10 minutes or so of Japan's last game was an exercise in wasting time; Japan knew they were through into the Round of 16 even if they lost and Poland was just happy to be able to go out with a win.  Crowd was very unhappy.

2 hours ago, lovehockey said:

The 1st-place team in that group was destined to end up in what is considered to be the harder Round of 16 bracket.  Going into the game England and Belgium were both headed to the Round of 16.  But they were tied in points (6 each) and goal differential; one of the other tiebreakers put England in 1st.  So to be blunt, England probably didn't mind that they lost and slipped to 2nd place.  Not that they should think that they're on the easy train to the final.

The last 10 minutes or so of Japan's last game was an exercise in wasting time; Japan knew they were through into the Round of 16 even if they lost and Poland was just happy to be able to go out with a win.  Crowd was very unhappy.

I do recognize that the seedings process creates this.  Imho it’s a pity.  It’s the biggest tournament in the most popular sport in the world.  I just think every match should be played out to the fullest.

My $0.02.  😀

If I had money on the game, I would've been real pissed.  Roberto Martinez (Belgium manager) said the result isn't important but Gareth Southgate spewed all kind of b.s. regarding how they want to win, keep their momentum, etc.  So I had England winning with 2 goals in my ESPN Match Predictor challenge.  Now I want to kick GS in the nuts.

On 6/27/2018 at 12:51 PM, Tweaked said:

BOOM!  Our first upset.  The defending champions are out.  This is the third WC in a row that the defending champions have failed to get out of the group stage.  (Germany in 2018, Spain in 2014, Italy in 2010). 

What does this tell us?  Should WC-winning teams be put out to pasture and overhauled?  Perhaps winning Confederations Cup with a so-called B team should have been a fat hint to Germany's team management.

7 minutes ago, Sasha K said:

What does this tell us?  Should WC-winning teams be put out to pasture and overhauled?  Perhaps winning Confederations Cup with a so-called B team should have been a fat hint to Germany's team management.

This is no different than Olympic teams - athletes age 4-years in-between events. You don't want to break up a winning squad, but Father Time rests undefeated.

I kept reading headlines about Germany being "arrogant" - was this true? Also stories about their midfielders getting beaten in the open pitch because they were getting tired.

---

Mbappé became the first teenager to score two goals in a match since Pelé did it 60-years ago. Coco Rico!

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

This is no different than Olympic teams - athletes age 4-years in-between events. You don't want to break up a winning squad, but Father Time rests undefeated.

There is more to it, apparently.  A 4-year-older France crashed in 2002, but then an 8-year-older France, with many of the same players, made it to the final game.

1 hour ago, Sasha K said:

There is more to it, apparently.  A 4-year-older France crashed in 2002, but then an 8-year-older France, with many of the same players, made it to the final game.

And there were no Goldberg Variations recorded in the 60s or 70s. ;)

Catching up:

England enters uncharted territory after enduring and winning a penalty kick shoot out.

Belgium and Japan play the best 45 minutes of the tournament (so far).

Friday's matches: Uruguay v France, Belgium v Brazil.  

Saturday's matches: English v Sweden, Russia v. Croatia

10 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Belgium and Japan play the best 45 minutes of the tournament (so far).

Dammit, I watched the first half not the 2nd half with all the goals.  Still it was interesting if only because the two teams had very different threats and skill players who they were trying to set up

Gareth Southgate's lying ways has paid off.  By saying they want to beat Belgium but then playing the B team, GS positioned England in the junior varsity bracket.  While Columbia is still petitioning for a rematch due to VAR irregularities, England took on Sweden, a team that barely qualified for the World Cup.  Sterling proved yet again he has no finishing skills, but he worked hard.  And England is through to the semis - and I'm slightly richer!

8 hours ago, Sasha K said:

If there should be an England Russia semi-final, the English better bring their own water.

Jan 21, 2005 - "Brazil Revive Drug Row after 15 Years" on theguardian.com

Tranquilizer? Maybe they should have used a laxative instead - they could have blamed it on "the food." 🙃

All the treachery of Palio di Siena, with 100-times the gravitas.

CR7 is coming off 3 straight Champions League titles.  No other team has won even 2 consecutive Champions League titles.  LeBron only won 1 with Cleveland and that was a few years ago.  CR7 leaving Real Madrid is bit of a shock (especially since Juve is paying 105 million Euros as a transfer fee for someone with very few great years left).  Lebron leaving Cleveland isn't a surprise. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2018 at 8:28 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

CR7 is coming off 3 straight Champions League titles.  No other team has won even 2 consecutive Champions League titles.  LeBron only won 1 with Cleveland and that was a few years ago.  CR7 leaving Real Madrid is bit of a shock (especially since Juve is paying 105 million Euros as a transfer fee for someone with very few great years left).  Lebron leaving Cleveland isn't a surprise. 

Ronaldo was the highest-paid athlete in the world in 2017 and 2018 per Forbes.