I don't often go back to watch old favorites, because usually they flop. Films I remember fondly for any reason leave me cold and a little sad a decade or two or three later. There are a few exceptions, of course, and after the recent discussion on this site of Blazing Saddles, I feel compelled to mention The Producers. The film has its flaws, but nothing has ever tickled my (often broken) funny bone as much as the epic production number "Springtime for Hitler", a brilliant send-up of Busby Berkeley choreography and probably a bunch of other old Hollywood film tropes and traditions.

12 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I know you aren't big on the Academy Awards, but given that this film was released in May, 1967, do you know why it wasn't nominated in the 40th (1968) awards, and instead had all its nominations in the 41st (1969)?

Caveat:  This is total speculation.  The Academy Awards have very specific rules and eligibility criteria.  One of these rules is a qualifying run with paid admission in a commercial motion picture theater in Los Angeles County (see rule 2).  If you look at rule 3 there does appear to be an exception for a motion picture first theatrically exhibited inside the U.S. in the year prior to the Los Angeles County qualifying run being eligible for submission.  If you refer to Wikipedia it states the movie premiered in Pittsburgh on November 22, 1967, to negative reviews.  It is possible it did not play in Los Angeles until 1968, thus garnering its eligibility for the 41st awards.  Of course, this guess is based upon the current rules.  The rules in 1967 and 1968 could have been much different.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, porcupine said:

I don't often go back to watch old favorites, because usually they flop. Films I remember fondly for any reason leave me cold and a little sad a decade or two or three later. There are a few exceptions, of course, and after the recent discussion on this site of Blazing Saddles, I feel compelled to mention The Producers. The film has its flaws, but nothing has ever tickled my (often broken) funny bone as much as the epic production number "Springtime for Hitler", a brilliant send-up of Busby Berkeley choreography and probably a bunch of other old Hollywood film tropes and traditions.

I agree.  That is an outrageous production scene.  One of my favorites from moviedom. 

Brooks is a true movie comic genius.  There are many lists of greatest comedies by a great variety of sources including some with more recognizable heft than  others.  Regardless Mel Brooks' films are always in those lists and several of his films often or overwhelmingly often tend toward the tops of those lists.  I suspect that Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and the Producers are the 3 that most often show up most highly ranked, but some of his other films also crack those lists.

The Producers was simply remarkable, a completely zany never conceived of concept that Brooks invented, wrote, and ultimately filmed.  I understand the idea arose from people and incidents he experienced, but he put the whole thing together and created the film.--Outlandish.  

Brooks loved big production numbers.  He recreated them in his films, spoofed them, but also kept alive a form of entertainment that has been lost.  The outfits are outlandish --the things he used to cover breasts are    stunning.

I loved that film.  Zero Mostel was an amazing actor.  I only wish I had been old enough to see more of his work.  Who has such a malleable expressive face with such a booming voice? 

Its rather amazing.  In 1967, 22 years after the end of WWII Brooks made this film and addressed Nazi's and Nazism with ridicule.  And it worked.  Today we have an outbreak of overt Nazism and political voices that defend their rights.   What kind of reactions would this same film generate today?

The production scene is marvelous, the story line is over the top, Mostel and Gene Wilder were superb individually and in their interactions.  Its a terrific and utterly zany film.  A comic masterpiece.  imho  :D