1230 Restaurant and Champagne Lounge

Looking forward to hearing your report-that is a great resume and the menu is enticing. No prices however...

On 9/12/2017 at 9:19 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

According to Eater, this Shaw joint just opened.  The head chef previously worked at Le Bernadin and Guy Savoy.  Being super hip and cool, we will be checking out their early-bird specials soon. 

It's so depressing we almost walked out.

We arrived at 6 p.m. on Fri.  The other hipster hangouts in Blagden were already hopping (we had drinks at the Columbia Room) but it was dead in 1230.  In fact, the place smells vaguely of a gas leak.  The place was decorated in black and white and lit entirely by fluorescent lights.  My impression is that of a cafeteria, not a swanky lounge.  We were the only diners until 7:30, when another twosome showed up.

The kitchen sent out some freebies - tuna tartare on fried fish skin and grill squid.  The fried fish skin had a corn chip like texture, but with a hint of fishiness.  Interesting spin on tuna tartare taco.  The grilled squid had good flavor but had a little more chew than I liked.

The two apps were roasted jumbo shrimp (with lentils) and grilled quail.  The shrimps were delicious flavor and texture-wise.  We debated the merit of leaving the shrimp tail on and I suppose it could add a little more flavor.  The quail came with 2 per order.  They were also delicious.  To bad quails are so small...they're like blue crabs, you want to eat a dozen.

The two entrees were magret (duck breast) and braised short ribs.  The duck was perfectly cooked but still a bit chewy.  It was also quite thick for a duck breast, even after all the fat has been rendered off.  By the time the short ribs arrived, I was stuffed.  I tried a bite.  I'm not a fan of braised meats but I did like the potato galette, which I believe was made with both yukon gold and sweet potatoes.

And the champagne selection was poor.  By the glass was mostly cava and prosecco.

Summary:  good food, not pricey, dreadful atmosphere.  Service not polished.

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0968.JPG

• Like 1