Three years ago, I purchased this for $59.99, and to this day, I think it's one of the finest things I've ever bought, both in terms of quality and value. There isn't one thing I would change about it - it's the perfect desk lamp - or, in my case, a nightstand lamp. 

When Matt went away to college, he took only two things with him: his TV set, and this lamp (I bought one for each of us) - to this day, he says it is perfect.

I cannot recommend this lamp enough. Read the reviews for it, and let me know about any review that isn't 5 stars, because I'm curious about what they have to say.

However, when I just looked at it on Amazon Prime, it's priced at 50% of what I paid: The lamp is now $29.99. So, it now costs half as much, and there's also a USB charging port which mine doesn't have.

Buy this desk lamp - buy as many as you can afford, buy it as a gift for your friends, buy it as an heirloom (despite it being plastic). It is the greatest nightstand lamp I've ever seen, and it's now $29.99. All I ask is that you chime in here after you receive it.

TaoTronics 14W Desk Lamp with USB Charging Port

On 9/17/2017 at 9:26 PM, DonRocks said:

Three years ago, I purchased this for $59.99, and to this day, I think it's one of the finest things I've ever bought, both in terms of quality and value. There isn't one thing I would change about it - it's the perfect desk lamp - or, in my case, a nightstand lamp. 

When Matt went away to college, he took only two things with him: his TV set, and this lamp (I bought one for each of us) - to this day, he says it is perfect.

I cannot recommend this lamp enough. Read the reviews for it, and let me know about any review that isn't 5 stars, because I'm curious about what they have to say.

However, when I just looked at it on Amazon Prime, it's priced at 50% of what I paid: The lamp is now $29.99. So, it now costs half as much, and there's also a USB charging port which mine doesn't have.

Buy this desk lamp - buy as many as you can afford, buy it as a gift for your friends, buy it as an heirloom (despite it being plastic). It is the greatest nightstand lamp I've ever seen, and it's now $29.99. All I ask is that you chime in here after you receive it.

TaoTronics 14W Desk Lamp with USB Charging Port

Do you find the little red light illuminating the power button annoying when you wake up in the middle of the night and it is the only light in the room which only exaggerates its brightness which leads you to just stare at it as its luminosity becomes inescapable such that you can no longer fall back to sleep?  Because that has never happened to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dcs said:

Do you find the little red light illuminating the power button annoying when you wake up in the middle of the night and it is the only light in the room which only exaggerates its brightness which leads you to just stare at it as its luminosity becomes inescapable such that you can no longer fall back to sleep?  Because that has never happened to me.

Did you get one of the new ones with a USB Charging Port? If so, try covering it up with your phone! :)

The little red light never kept me up at night ... before now. :angry:

• Like 1

Does your lamp have a circular base, or a square base - also, is it made of plastic, or metal?

My friend bought a couple of these, and they aren't what I have (although they look similar). The material is this unpleasant plastic; mine is metal. You can't see how to turn it on in the dark; mine has a tiny little light you can push. Other than that, the USB charging port is a nice feature, but the lamp just isn't as good, and the control panel is just awful - I wouldn't be raving about these new ones, now that I've seen them - it seems they tried to improve on perfection, and failed.

The lamp pictured in the very first post looks like the one I have (although that one has a USB charging port; mine doesn't), and I *love* it. That is the one I recommend so highly, but I'm somewhat suspicious about the low price - I would pay $100 for the one I own.

This is the one.  It is plastic, but since so much of everything these days is plastic it is not noticeably unpleasant to the eye or the touch.  The control panel for the light settings is unusually sensitive.  It is easy to accidentally touch the wrong setting.  Four settings for the light seems excessive.  That said, although it might not be as good and sturdy as your lamp, it is a pretty, pretty, pretty good lamp for its price, and it is certainly better than the lamp on my nightstand it replaced.

23 hours ago, dcs said:

This is the one.  It is plastic, but since so much of everything these days is plastic it is not noticeably unpleasant to the eye or the touch.  The control panel for the light settings is unusually sensitive.  It is easy to accidentally touch the wrong setting.  Four settings for the light seems excessive.  That said, although it might not be as good and sturdy as your lamp, it is a pretty, pretty, pretty good lamp for its price, and it is certainly better than the lamp on my nightstand it replaced.

I hope yours has a one-hour timer - I find that to be a wonderful option, although one I should use more.