Bistro Aracosia - Omar Masroor's Afghan on MacArthur Avenue in Palisades from the Owners of Springfield's Afghan Bistro

18 hours ago, Marty L. said:

Where?!  (Be still my heart.)

Just checked:  5100 Macarthur, just south of Arizona; Sept. expected opening.  It might well immediately become the best restaurant in DC west of 2 Amys.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Marty L. said:

Just checked:  5100 Macarthur, just south of Arizona; Sept. expected opening.  It might well immediately become the best restaurant in DC west of 2 Amys.

This statement caught me off-guard, but after thinking about it for two minutes, you may be correct (are you including BlackSalt?)

9 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

This statement caught me off-guard, but after thinking about it for two minutes, you may be correct (are you including BlackSalt?)

Haven't been to Black Salt in a long time, for two reasons:  (i) Have always thought the value/cost ratio was less than ideal (but that's true of many very fine restaurants 'round here); and (ii) had heard rumblings of downhill alerts with chef changes, etc.  We have, however, had several fine happy-hour meals there in the past, at more reasonable prices.

Black Salt might well be the best D.C. restaurant west of 2 Amys, and perhaps even better than Afghan Bistro.  But if the latter is half as good as reported here, I suspect we'll frequent it much more than we do Black Salt, if only because it'll be much more affordable.

23 hours ago, Marty L. said:

Interesting geography lesson!

Attended the soft opening last night.  (Doors officially open today.)  Very reluctant to post this, because I'd dearly like to be able to secure a table regularly, but it won't be a secret for long, anyway, so . . . :  Yes, as we hoped, this is the best restaurant in DC west of 2 Amys.  I was somewhat afraid they'd be overwhelmed and have trouble with the consistency of what's on the plate--there are 100 seats, compared to the 40 in Springfield, and the menu is vast even before one gets to the daily specials (we had two--veal and a lamb shank; both delicious).  If last night is any indication, however, they're up to the task.  (Wisely, they've closed the VA location for a couple of weeks and several of the staff there are helping BA get up to speed.)  I don't have time just now to do it justice; suffice it to say that everything was scrumptious.  The (extended) family is extremely solicitous of their new customers, and eager to share their love of the family matriarch's reservoir of recipes.  And although not inexpensive (think Amoo's), it's quite reasonable for what they're serving, especially in light of the rent and the $$ they had to invest to get the old Listrani's/Bistroquet space up to code and retrofitting it for what they're doing.

Just go (but for my sake, not too often, please).

• Like 6