Nutria (Coypu) - A Large, Edible, Herbivorous, Semi-Aquatic Rodent

NolaCaine

Full Story:

"'The Good Lord Couldn't Get Rid of Them'": Louisiana's Quest To Hunt the Swamp Rat" by Amanda Holpuch on theguardian.com

Highlights:

Metzler and his fellow documentarians Jeff Springer and Quinn Costello traveled to southern Louisiana, primarily during the November-to-April hunting season. They stomped through the marshes and dined on nutria. “We were able to get over the ick factor because Louisianans know how to cook,” Metzler said.

That taste test was inspired by the state wilderness department’s Nutria for Human Consumption Campaign, an initiative formed in response to the overabundance of nutria. It saw celebrated chefs, including the James Beard award winner Susan Spicer, prepare the rat in barbecue, jambalaya and jerky meals.

In the film, Spicer insists the rodent does not have a swampy taste. “With rabbit, there is a stigma they are too cute. That’s not a problem with nutria,” he says.

The battle against the nutria, and the destruction of southern Louisiana, is felt intimately by Thomas Gonzalez, who informs viewers at the film’s onset: “Hurricane Katrina took my house, but we still have plenty of nutria.”

5 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

No way!!! You can't eat those things... that's crazy. 

snake, garfish, squirrel, alligator I've eaten them all in La. and all were good; but never a rat. Yet.

I've also eaten chicken feet and duck tongue. Never, ever again.  

1 hour ago, NolaCaine said:

snake, garfish, squirrel, alligator I've eaten them all in La. and all were good; but never a rat. Yet.

I've also eaten chicken feet and duck tongue. Never, ever again.  

I've had a guinea pig, but not a rat.  I wouldn't have a problem eating nutria.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't eat a tarantula though, but I did eat  small scorpion.