Medical Alert Systems

Al Dente

Hi All-- does anyone have any recommendations for an alert system with Life Alert, Life Station, Philips Lifeline, or any of the other services? I'm trying to get my mother set up and it's challenging. Fee structures are all over the place and some of the services seem suspect in terms of quality.

Thanks for any advice!

Michael

20 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Hi All-- does anyone have any recommendations for an alert system with Life Alert, Life Station, Philips Lifeline, or any of the other services? I'm trying to get my mother set up and it's challenging. Fee structures are all over the place and some of the services seem suspect in terms of quality.

Thanks for any advice!

Michael

I have *zero* experience or knowledge with these, but my one piece of advice would be to research companies thoroughly, and also not to be penny-wise and pound-foolish. I suspect it isn't merely getting the system in place; it's how they react to an actual emergency at 3 AM.

For example, I have Geico Auto Insurance - I suspect I can get less-expensive insurance elsewhere, but I've used Geico for about thirty years, and they have *always* come through for me. They make things easy, and the couple of times that they needed to make a payment, they did so without question or hesitation. Plus, their commercials are sometimes hilarious.

On 11/8/2017 at 10:22 AM, weezy said:

I would check with hospice workers.  They are likely to have more familiarity with the quality of the service provided over a wide range of systems.

This is great advice, and I agree 100%. Start here - I would have been able to direct you to Hospices of Northern Virginia on Route 50 inside the beltway, but they've changed names, so I'm not sure what happened with them.

Hospices Nurses are angels - I wish people would support the organizations more: Once you or a loved one needs them, you'll understand why.

Depending on what you are trying to do to set her up, assuming maintaining independence/self-sufficiency is primary concern there are a # of alternatives.  Life Alert is the most famous ("I have fallen and I can't get up"), and if I recall they may offer a discount off monitoring depending on Homeowners or renters insurance, or AAA or something.  Cell phones obviously have tracking mechanisms that can be triggered to keep an eye on her location and programmed (if still driving), so the hand's free option is enabled when in the car making communication pretty easy.  Depending on her's and your comfort level, there are a # of camera options that offer two-way communication and timed monitoring or motion-activated monitoring at specific intervals.  The advantage of a camera is if someone is moving around in the middle of the night or whenever, it can alert you on your cell phone, laptop or wherever and you can instantly log in and communicate or observe what is going on.  These systems can easily be installed as DIY in 45 minutes or less.  I used Arlo and they have great wireless (or wired) components you can purchase at Best Buy, Costco or a number of other stores. 

Good luck out there.