Wisconsin Badgers Football (1889-), Big Ten Conference (1893-), West Division (2014)

DonRocks

The Wisconsin Badgers have a very real chance of finishing this season undefeated, and still not making the College Football Playoffs (CFP).

"What Will the CFP Committee Do with an Unbeaten Wisconsin?" by Heather Dinich on espn.com

I think the answer to this problem is that the CFP isn't designed to get the four-best teams into the playoffs; it's designed to get the *best* team into the playoffs, and I don't think it has ever failed in that regard.

---

Bonus trivia question:

What is the only team (of 14 teams total) in the Big Ten Conference which is not a public school?

Mouse over for the answer: Northwestern University

As soft as Wisconsin's schedule is, an undefeated P5 team will always get into the CFB Playoff. The only rankings that matter are the final ones.

Funny thing about this part of year is the same scenarios are always brought up. It's fun water cooler banter and part of the sport (polls!), but ultimately it nearly always works out.

9 minutes ago, will_5198 said:

As soft as Wisconsin's schedule is, an undefeated P5 team will always get into the CFB Playoff. The only rankings that matter are the final ones.

Funny thing about this part of year is the same scenarios are always brought up. It's fun water cooler banter and part of the sport (polls!), but ultimately it nearly always works out.

That's right.

One possible exception, however, is if there are 5 undeafeated P5 teams!

But in my opinion, the true reason for the CFP rankings system isn't to make sure "The Best 4 Teams" get in (that's an impossible task); it's to make sure "The Best Team" gets in, and it's set up very well to ensure that happens just about every year.

Which two teams have the longest continuous, i.e., "without a pause,"  head-to-head match-up in the NCAA?

Second place is Clemson - University of South Carolina, since 1909.

This thread title should give you a hint.

A second hint: It has gone non-stop since 1907 (in 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt suspended college rivalry games due to potential injuries). Mouse over for the answer:

Wisconsin - Minnesota

21 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Which two teams have the longest continuous, i.e., "without a pause,"  head-to-head match-up in the NCAA?

Second place is Clemson - University of South Carolina, since 1909.

This thread title should give you a hint.

A second hint: It has gone non-stop since 1907 (in 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt suspended college rivalry games due to potential injuries). Mouse over for the answer:

Wisconsin - Minnesota

Axe game and the Badgers lost for the first time in a while.