Lady Goodknife - Knife-Sharpening and Honing Service in Annandale, Run by Our Own weezy

weezy

Just throwing out a reminder that the holidays are coming up and you may be cooking, slicing and chopping more than usual.  Are your knives up to the task?  Maybe it's time to put a fresh edge on them.  You can message me on this site or email me at ladygoodknife at gmail dot com.   I'm in Annandale, inside the Beltway between the Braddock and Little River Turnpike exits.  You can drop the knives off, or we can arrange a meet.  I also have loaner knives available if you need a backup while I’m working on yours. 

• Blades 6” or less - $5 per
  • Blades 6”-12” - $7 per
  • Serrated Knives - $8 per
  • Swords & machetes - $15
  • Ceramic blades – steel blade prices plus $2 per knife

Louise Comninaki

Lady Goodknife

• Like 1

Friends --

I want to let you know about changes to the price list

• Blades 6” or less - $6 per
  • Blades 6”-10” - $8 per
  • Blades >10" - $8 plus $1/inch 11"-->
  • Serrated Knives - steel blade prices plus $2 per knife
  • Ceramic blades – steel blade prices plus $2 per knife

I got some new sharpening equipment and I'm having such fun with it.  Would love to sharpen your knives!

Curious: Is "stropping" a word in current use, or is it archaic?

I have a set of Trident-Wüsthof knives that I bought over twenty years ago, and it came with this ... "thing" that I assume is supposed to be used for sharpening? honing? stropping? Do all three terms mean the same thing?

Screenshot 2020-01-12 at 00.43.41.png

It looks a lot like that, and I've never known quite what to do with it. I guess I need my knives worked on, huh? Is it possible (realistic) that after twenty years of virtually no use, the knives are beyond repair, or can they still be improved upon?

If replacement, I'm going *high* end (and I mean Japanese high end); if not replacement, I'm willing to pay whatever it costs to maximize their utility - I could see it going either way.

That's a hone.  With use, the metal on the knife's edge rolls over a bit and using a hone straightens it back out.  I typically hone my knives every 2-3 uses.   it doesn't remove any metal, it just helps the blade hold the edge between sharpenings.

Stropping is a finishing technique for a sharp edge to take it to an extremely fine/razor finish, typically done with a leather strap/strop (hence the name) or a buffing wheel, sometimes using a jeweler's rouge, which is an extremely fine-grained paste.

Rarely used knives, even 20 years old, are definitely worth re-sharpening.  I can't imagine that they are beyond repair unless the only use has been hacking bones and rocks or the handles have rotted off.  Your knives probably just need a good sharpening.   Now, if you're really hankering for some ceramic Japanese knives just because, I won't begrudge you some sexy new blades, but I can still sharpen up your current knives so you can gift them forward when you get the Japanese blades.

• Like 2

Hey Weezy,

Question- we have some old, and I am sure inexpensive knives in my work office. I would like for one of them to be able to cut things here at the office if need be- a block of cheese, an apple, more easily.  Is it worth having something sharpened, or should I just go to Teeter/Target or something and buy a couple new knives for the office?  I don't like to waste things, so I would prefer to just get them sharpened. 

I also have some of my collection that you have sharpened before that I need to arrange drop, so could do it at the same time if sharpening is appropriate.

Sharpening the old knives is certainly worthwhile, cheaper than buying new (even inexpensive) knives.  If they are cheap knives, they won't hold an edge very long but they aren't used as often or for prolonged chopping, so overall the edge should last fairly well.  

Happy to do your knives as well, of course.