Flying Dog Bloodline Blood Orange Ale - American IPA Tempered with Blood Orange Flavor

DonRocks

I tried a Rite-Aid six-pack of Flying Dog Brewery's "Bloodline Blood Orange Ale,"; and given my personal distaste for American IPAs, I find the blood orange undertones to be a welcome undercurrent to the noticeable hops in this ale.

This is absolutely nothing like a "pumpkin ale" - its finish is primarily sour, with just enough hint of blood orange flavor to keep it from creeping into Baby Gueuze territory. 

I didn't think I'd like (or, should I say, "not dislike") this beer to the extent which I do - it's okay, and if you find yourself in a drug store, you can do a lot worse. The nose is my favorite aspect, and if you're drinking it from a bottle, one snoot full is all you'll need if you don't mind using a single nostril.

On 11/18/2017 at 6:43 PM, DonRocks said:

I tried a Rite-Aid six-pack of Flying Dog Brewery's "Bloodline Blood Orange Ale,"; and given my personal distaste for American IPAs, I find the blood orange undertones to be a welcome undercurrent to the noticeable hops in this ale.

This is absolutely nothing like a "pumpkin ale" - its finish is primarily sour, with just enough hint of blood orange flavor to keep it from creeping into Baby Gueuze territory. 

I didn't think I'd like (or, should I say, "not dislike") this beer to the extent which I do - it's okay, and if you find yourself in a drug store, you can do a lot worse. The nose is my favorite aspect, and if you're drinking it from a bottle, one snoot full is all you'll need if you don't mind using a single nostril.

I can't tell if you like it or not?  Why did you compare it to a pumpkin beer?  Although it may seem weird, this beer is very good when mixed 50/50 with the Truth) (called a True Blood).  I also happen to really enjoy it just the way it is.

Blood line is in their year round rotation now, and for good reason--it is pretty damn good.

55 minutes ago, pras said:

I can't tell if you like it or not?  Why did you compare it to a pumpkin beer?  Although it may seem weird, this beer is very good when mixed 50/50 with the Truth) (called a True Blood).  I also happen to really enjoy it just the way it is.

Blood line is in their year round rotation now, and for good reason--it is pretty damn good.

I like it well enough - more than the vast majority of domestic IPAs. I only compared it with pumpkin ale because of the blood orange; I've never had a pumpkin ale that I liked this much.

Understand also: My personal taste in beer is *very* limited  (people shouldn't listen to my beer recommendations, because they're simply too limited in scope) - I love the beers I've had in English pubs and German brauhausen, and I suspect I'd love lagers in Prague; surprisingly, I *didn't* like the beers in Ireland as much as I thought I would - not even Guinness, which had extreme variation, even within *the same pub* (a couple of times I was in a large pub with multiple taps). I'm just not a huge fan of the vast majority of American beers, as much as that sucks for me. Man, I remember the first night in Germany, we arrived in Frankfort and immediately drove to Heidelberg - we went to the local biergarten there, and it was, at that moment, the best beer I'd ever had - the best part was seeing elderly ladies (in their 70s, perhaps even in their 80s) downing full-liter glass steins of beer like they were water. To the best of my memory, they served only one type of beer - whatever they brewed in Heidelberg's town brewery - and it was awesome.

Not sure why you compare it to IPAs, as it's really not. Not even a pale ale. Maybe more hop-forward than your standard ale, but I wouldn't really call this a hoppy beer. How do I know? My wife loves it and she hates anything hoppy.

4 hours ago, Deac said:

Not sure why you compare it to IPAs, as it's really not. Not even a pale ale. Maybe more hop-forward than your standard ale, but I wouldn't really call this a hoppy beer. How do I know? My wife loves it and she hates anything hoppy.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm *so* sensitive to hops that they are, to me, what cilantro is, for some. To me, if you take away the blood orange flavor, I think it would come across as a straight-up IPA.

I wasn't quite certain how to classify this, but if you click on this link, Beer Advocate classifies it as an "American IPA" - I figured that was good enough for my purposes, but truthfully, I have no idea what this beer is.

If I was at that Rite-Aid, in the same situation, I would buy another six-pack of this - I think it's pretty good.

Speaking of flavored beers, has anyone seen DC Brau's "Thyme after Thyme?" I had it several years ago and *loved* the flavors; I haven't seen it since.