IMDB.com - A Remarkably Comprehensive Database of Movies, Television Shows, and Actors

DonRocks

I'm sure many of you know about the website imdb.com - it's a well-organized database of movies, television shows, (even old radio shows), and actors [Is it okay to say "actors" instead of "actors and actresses?"] 

Pick any movie you can think of, any television series you can think of - even any *episode* of any television series you can think of, and up comes an incredibly rigorous and thorough list of people associated with it. Then, if you click one of the people, you'll get every single thing they've ever done in their career.

I have been using imdb for as long as I've been power-watching television series and films (films, for the first time in about twenty years), and to date, I believe that I have found *one* omission that I'm aware of. They must have reference to some sort of "official," central database of these facts, and whichever company runs this website must have dozens, if not hundreds, of employees.

While it isn't like Wikipedia, in that there aren't long narratives, the two perform complementary functions: imdb is for hard facts, and Wikipedia is for the story behind many of the facts.

This is the only post I can ever remember putting into two forums: Films and Television, because imdb covers both so thoroughly that it would simply be wrong to exclude either one.

Remember this website - it generally comes up on Page One of Google searches. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

54 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I'm sure many of you know about the website imdb.com - it's a well-organized database of movies, television shows, (even old radio shows), and actors [Is it okay to say "actors" instead of "actors and actresses?"] 

Pick any movie you can think of, any television series you can think of - even any *episode* of any television series you can think of, and up comes an incredibly rigorous and thorough list of people associated with it. Then, if you click one of the people, you'll get every single thing they've ever done in their career.

I have been using imdb for as long as I've been power-watching television series and films (films, for the first time in about twenty years), and to date, I believe that I have found *one* omission that I'm aware of. They must have reference to some sort of "official," central database of these facts, and whichever company runs this website must have dozens, if not hundreds, of employees.

While it isn't like Wikipedia, in that there aren't long narratives, the two perform complementary functions: imdb is for hard facts, and Wikipedia is for the story behind many of the facts.

This is the only post I can ever remember putting into two forums: Films and Television, because imdb covers both so thoroughly that it would simply be wrong to exclude either one.

Remember this website - it generally comes up on Page One of Google searches. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Owned by.... wait for it.......Amazon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1