Tweaked

Seylou Bakery & Mill - Jonathan Bethony and Jessica Azeez's Whole Grain Bakery on N Street near Blagden Alley

We are recent converts to Seylou, mainly buying loaves at Penn Quarter Farmer's Market.  Their bread is super distinctive, with a very dark, near burnt but definitely not burnt quality. I am surprised that it would win in a competition as it is fairly eccentric. But I am glad for them to get recognition.  I love their independent spirit.  The only quibble I ever have is some of the loaves have a damp feel, but no matter, we love the bread. I am now trudging thru a soft, namby-pamby loaf from another "artisan" producer purchased at a local farmer's market which tastes much like the "artisan" bread from Giant.  

I need to find a good bakery closer to Annandale for those times when a long drive for bread is just not in the cards. The Korean bakeries all have soft breads. I was at the new Super H Mart and went to Paris Baguette which has all of 3 baguettes as their total bread offering and they were soft and doughy.

We've enjoyed the loaves that we've had from Seylou, but are less enthusiastic about the pastries (including a few cannele that looked great on the outside, but were completely unbaked inside). Eccentric is a great word to describe the breads; with a nice butter they are splendid, in my opinion.

13 hours ago, seanvtaylor said:

with a nice butter they are splendid, in my opinion.

Don't forget the salt. Even though our favorite Cabot butter is salted, adding a sprinkle of sel gris Tamise or fleur de sel lifts it to the sublime.  

• Like 2

Seylou is my local bakery/coffee shop. I'm just lucky that way :) 

They've really stepped up their weekend game this year. Weekend mornings are the only time to get a cinnamon roll with its topping of mascarpone icing, or bialy with cream cheese. (During the week you can get the plain raisin bun, or bialy with sauteed onion.) Weekend mid-mornings and afternoon brings Roman Pizza, which is a rectangle of thin whole wheat crust generously spread with tomato sauce and olive oil. Basically Pan Con Tomate gone super-sized. Friday and Saturday nights they do regular pizzas-- these vary, but the mushroom tends to knock my socks off. 

For bread, I'm happiest with the baguette and levain... I am pretty sure that one set of our friends only invite us over regularly because they know we will bring Seylou bread with us for dinner.

They do not have uncaffeinated coffee, just full-strength. They do have butter coffee, and chai, and matcha lattes. It's a cute and welcoming spot.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, turbogrrl said:

They do have butter coffee, and chai, and matcha lattes. It's a cute and welcoming spot.

The owner, Jessica, used to personally blend the herbal teas, which were quite good

On 3/27/2020 at 4:22 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Thought it might give each other ideas based on where and what you're ordering for take-out or delivery.  

Seylou Bakery has online ordering for pickup. 48 hous notice. We are picking up Sunday after we pick up our pre-orders from DUpont. Will report back.

Seylou order page

Super easy to order from them. Forgot to add they offer flours of many types. Their pastries seem to all come in groups of three for $15. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 7:16 PM, deangold said:

Seylou Bakery has online ordering for pickup. 48 hous notice. We are picking up Sunday after we pick up our pre-orders from DUpont. Will report back.

Seylou order page

Super easy to order from them. Forgot to add they offer flours of many types. Their pastries seem to all come in groups of three for $15. 

They deliver, too (maybe limited area?).  We got a delivery from them today, exactly at the time we specified last weekend when we put the order in.

1 hour ago, Rhone1998 said:

They deliver, too (maybe limited area?).  We got a delivery from them today, exactly at the time we specified last weekend when we put the order in.

It is a limited area. I tried and they don't deliver to Capitol Hill. I'm not surprised but I thought I'd try.