Sun Noodles Ramen Pack

Smita Nordwall

On 12/1/2017 at 11:47 AM, astrid said:

Most restaurant ramen I've had has been noticeably less good than what I can make with a Sun Noodles ramen pack, for quality of noodles and broth.  Dump in a little chopped veggies, butter, Asian chili paste and some carnitas to finish.  Daikaya, Haikan, and late lamented Crane and Turtle were the only places that consistently turned out ramen that wowed me. 

Some of the worst restaurant ramen were had at otherwise good "new American" restaurants that really strayed out their lane, with weirdly seasoned and luke warm broth and mushy noodles (often not even proper ramen noodle) that cost $20+.  +1, who is not of Asian heritage, often comments that these atrocities are "not bad", making me wonder if most non-Asians just don't notice noodle texture as much.  Though...I hated Momofuku's ramen and Yona's ramen (from when Yona was still helmed by Yona) too.

Where do you buy the Sun noodles?

I love this website. Thank you Don.

I had never heard of Sun Noodles until astrid's post.  Bought a miso-broth pack at Hana (nominally a two-portion pack) and stretched it for four people by adding lots of stuff (corn, fake ground beef, leftover spinach, leftover enoki, nori, eggs, butter).  Really good noodles and VERY surprisingly good broth.

Thanks to all.

(edited quickly to add for Don: Roll Tide!)

• Like 1

Yes, thank you for turning me on to these!  Spied them at a Wegman's in PA over the break and bought one each of the shoyu and miso.  Based on the outside packaging I thought that each one was a double serving, but pleasantly surprised to find two completely separate single servings in the box.  Weather like today make me really hungry for ramen, and even with nothing to add from a holidays-depleted fridge just the noodles and broth really hit the spot.  I'll pick up some more at Hana or our next visit to Wegman's when these run out (which, honestly, is probably going to be by the end of the week).

• Like 1

Also available at the Wegman's in Germantown.  I just bought shoyu ($4.99), miso ($4.99), and kaedama ($2.99).  Can't wait to try them!

FWIW, this 2014 Serious Eats article states that the noodles at Ivan Ramen Slurp Shop and Momofuku come from Sun.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/the-fresh-ramen-kits-from-sun-noodles-will-knock-your-socks-off.html]

• Like 1