Clavel, Lane Harlan's Lively Mezcaleria and Taqueria in Remington

4 hours ago, funkyfood said:

I went to this place last summer with a friend and was blown away by the food and drinks.  It's like Espita but way better.

I will easily drive the 50 minutes from my place for the queso funidido, and the cochinita pibil.  Its crazy good, not to mention that the setting of the place is so dang cosy.  Most def in in my top 5 for Baltimore. 

On 1/24/2018 at 3:22 PM, kitkatpaddywak said:

I will easily drive the 50 minutes from my place for the queso funidido, and the cochinita pibil.  Its crazy good, not to mention that the setting of the place is so dang cosy.  Most def in in my top 5 for Baltimore. 

Was just here a few weeks ago. Cochinita was indeed excellent, and they had some delicious house-made tepache on the drinks menu as well (a current obsession of mine; been making it successfully at home, but the habanero addition brings way too much heat to make it enjoyable on its own).

Love the food, drinks, and vibe of this place. Happy hour (weekdays from 5-7) is $4 off queso and margaritas. Get there early, because this place can fill up in a flash. The queso and homemade chips are a match made heaven, even if I needed a fork to scrape the last bits of crispy cheese crust from the pan. The cochinita pibil tacos were the best version of those I've had, and the lengua holds its own against any tacqueria in the area. My only quibble is that their tacos could benefit from a second tortilla, as they can fall apart if you let the liquids stew (my fault for not eating the huitlacoche faster). Both flavors of ceviche I tried (Sinaloese and Aguachile Rojo) were excellent, bright flavors and fresh seafood. These come with even more chips so be careful about filling up too early - we ended up with with an entire untouched tray.

Passing thru Baltimore on our way home from Florida, dinner at Clavel with friends who live here.  All was excellent.  The cocktails were interesting, tasty and well crafted.  The queso fundido perfect, the tacos high quality (I had tongue and lamb - both solid).  The shrimp ceviche was nicely done as well.  Chips, nice bean salsa — what more could I ask for?   Oh yeah, friendly, non-pretentious service too.   A winner.

• Like 1