Trevor Lawrence (1999-), Clemson Quarterback from Cartersville HS in Georgia

DonRocks

On 10/7/2017 at 5:54 PM, DonRocks said:

The other reason I hope to see more of Hunter Johnson this year is because we may not be seeing him next year, as Clemson again recruited the #1 pocket-passing quarterback in the country in 2018 with Trevor Lawrence. To say they have an abundance of riches at this position is an understatement, but I don't understand why all the best high-school quarterbacks are clustering themselves in just a few colleges - there's only so much playing time to go around:

"No. 1-Ranked QB's College Choice Is Odd, but Not Surprising" by Corey Masisak on nypost.com

(The above article makes the point I've been thinking all season - why are these kids all going somewhere they may not be able to play? I'm not complaining, but it doesn't seem to be in their best interest.)

---

To summarize this, ESPN has two different "categories" of quarterback - those they deem to be a "Pocket Passer," and those they deem to be a "Dual Threat."

Extreme examples of both would be Tom Brady and Randall Cunningham.

For Clemson, the above history is summarized as follows (incredibly, if you peruse the lists, they had more than these, who must have ended up transferring or vanishing into thin air). I'm guessing - and it's only an educated guess - that they decided to change up their style of offense before the Boston College game this season to prepare for the upcoming days of Hunter Johnson and Trevor Lawrence, both of whom are *great* all-around quarterbacks; neither of whom will set records in the NFL combine.

Pocket Passers
2018 Trevor Lawrence #1
2017 Hunter Johnson #1
2016 Zerrick Cooper #9

Dual Threat
2015 Kelly Bryant #10
2014 Deshaun Watson #1

On 10/21/2017 at 12:00 PM, DonRocks said:

"Cartersville QB, Clemson Commit Trevor Lawrence Once Again the No. 1 Recruit in the Nation" by Marcel Louis-Jacques on independentmail.com

"Clemson Football: Trevor Lawrence's Name Mentioned with All-Time Greats" by Andrew Boardwine on rubbingtherock.com

In addition to Hunter Johnson (who will be a sophomore next year) and Zerrick Cooper (also a (redshirt) sophomore), Trevor Lawrence (a true freshman) addles this situation enormously next year:

"Clemson Football: Kelly Bryant Ranked No. 1 Heisman Candidate for 2018" by Andrew Boardwine on rubbingtherock.com

I'm not sure I can envision Kelly Bryant (a senior) winning the Heisman - I just don't think he's complete. And I've never felt sorrier for Hunter Johnson, who is a terrific quarterback who deserves - needs - to be in a better situation.

Anyway, I guess you'll be hearing the name "Trevor Lawrence" in the coming years. In addition to his Wikipedia entry (above), here he is playing at Cartersville HS:

"Heisman Hype Begins for Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence" by Sam Hellman on 247sports.com

I'm all for Lawrence winning the Heisman and everything, but he hasn't even won the starting job yet, and he's *still supposed to be in high school*. This is how Bryce Harper and LeBron James must have felt their senior years in high school (Lawrence graduated early, in December, and has been at Clemson since January).

Clemson has a rising sophomore quarterback named Hunter Johnson who is either content to protect his body playing backup, or *needs* to transfer - the kid is fantastic, and if he's lucky, he might get to be the #2 quarterback this year (that's assuming he beats out Kelly Bryant) - he's good enough to play in the NFL if he develops himself.

Anyway, here's a video of Lawrence throwing a beautiful, 50-yard TD pass in his very first series during the Orange-White game. Players are raving about Lawrence's abilities, but gosh it seems early to be hyping him for the Heisman.

"Trevor Lawrence's Arm Strength Is Off the Charts" by Jesse Reed on sportsnaut.com

I'm not sure I've ever seen a stronger arm than Lawrence's - I've seen better passers (Tua Tagovailoa is a better passer right now), but combining quickness-of-release with raw arm strength, Lawrence is somehow able to put the ball in receivers' hands in less than two seconds after the snap.

Assuming he stays healthy, I don't see how he won't be a future NFL All-Pro.